• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese Fans Care What's Popular Overseas?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RANGIT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I remember seeing comments like this in regards to the Call of Duty games (namely that EA got a lot of complaints from Japan how the English-language voices with Japanese subtitles were not available to select). The grass really is greener on the other side.

Yes, it truly is.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Why is it hard to believe the Japanese fans have opinions about stuff in English similar to those of fans in the Anglosphere about stuff in Japanese? I'd say that's the logical thing to happen..

I agree. I mean, I tend to see people be more critical of stuff they're familiar/grew up with. Knowing the language is definitely a part of it. I think it's totally normal especially given this is on the internet. The Japanese tend to behave outside of their homes, true. But the internet as is the case for just about everyone in the world, is a very different place.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't really appreciate the tone you're giving me but that's understandable. I'm not so much of a fool to believe that everything out there is all raspberry and pies, and I'm certainly don't think that the Japanese are all nice either way. I'm talking about seeing those comments from a wider perspective. Given that a lot of Japanese seiyuus are basically worshipped by fans, it's doubtful to think that they're being called as talentless hack (not to mentions that they've Love Live fricking seiyuus), and so on. I'm not going into greater details because the rest of the comments are just similar shit, talking down on their beloved seiyuus even though that they're willing enough to attend their events, et cetera. It just doesn't make much sense at all, but those comments are probably from a small minority.
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
NEVER CHANGE, JAPAN, NEVER CHANGE! KEEP THE GAIJIN AWAY!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Given that a lot of Japanese seiyuus are basically worshipped by fans, it's doubtful to think that they're being called as talentless hack (not to mentions that they've Love Live fricking seiyuus), and so on. I'm not going into greater details because the rest of the comments are just similar shit, talking down on their beloved seiyuus even though that they're willing enough to attend their events, et cetera. It just doesn't make much sense at all, but those comments are probably from a small minority.

There are plenty of anti threads for seiyuu. Also note that Pile (voice of Maki in Love Live!) is a singer by trade, so while I know very little about Love Live!, I don't find it hard to imagine that there were people who weren't satisfied with her performance. I certainly hated Matsui Reina's performance in Denpa Kyoushi, and many Japanese people felt the same way.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
There's a reason there's a 4/26/11 YT video called "Reverse Weeaboo".
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I remember hearing how Japanese fans were estatic over the English dub of Lucky Star for some reason.

I always got the feeling how Western releases of anime were handled was more of a concern to the content creators than anyone else. This goes back to the days when Tezuka was drawing Astroboy and Kimba the White Lion, the latter which may have been a co-production with NBC to get it made in color.

lucky star wasnt the only one. there was also the english dub for hellsing, black lagoon and especially FMA. the latter being more liked in the eastern side of the aisle.

however its not just series like these they care about too. those mind numbbed hardcore otakus also care about the western side when it comes to ecchi / fanservice series like dxd , valkyrie drive and queens blade or all out ero series like school days/shiny days since as we all know japan have the most strictest laws when it comes to censorship that it'll make even the most hardcore US conservative blush. especially in its ero side where the uncensored versions of shiny days that was just released by jlist is outselling its censored version. the same for ero ovas like kanojo x kanojo x kanojo which is why some companies region lock some of their series which is unfortunate.

i unfortunately dont know if the sales are the same for fanservice based series like dxd, but i wouldnt be surprised at all if sales for the US versions of dxd , valkyrie drive, queens blade and others outsold the censored versions in japan ten times over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xionen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
NEVER CHANGE JAPAN. seriously with this kind of fanbase that want to impose their opinion over others i am glad they dont care. (For example SAO) people here think that japanese are brainless and that youtube has analized all animes. ridiculous some of them are more hardcore that we will ever be. it is just entertainment and i am glad that atleast japanese people are not so salty when a series they dont like gets popularity. sometimes i think there is something wrong in the western fanbase that when a show you dont like gets popularity, you lose your mind for some reason. Like you cant bear the idea that people dont like what you like but they like something else, THEY HAVE TO LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE, THERE IS NO OTHER WAY AND GETS ME MAD. i wil never understand this attention seeking actitud, giving your opinion is one thing but going crazy about a show like if the author did something personal to you is unheathly. i only watched 2 seasons of SAO, but i love they keep making seasons and movies just for the haters to notice their opinion counts alot. Grow up. some youtube channels make videos not giving a opinion but childishly throwing hate for no reason.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
^Japanese people get plenty salty. Just as much as fans anywhere else in the world. You have a problem with the internet, specifically Youtube really, not the "western fanbase". Rolling Eyes
Xionen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
^ not implying that they are saints, never are ass** or are non-humans and that they never get angry. i am impliying that with the sheer amount of product they "get" they simply dont care as much as appereantly we do, (people are religious about series we dont like). thus the reason you get all of those same themed animes one after another once one specific title becomes succesful (for example Not //hack, But SAO made a uncountable releases of "trapped in a game" light novels to come out ,they were not copies many had originality, but people just went with the popularity and that is a fact).My problem is how cocky and stubborn people act in this side of the internet. when they can simply go watch something else as their opinion wont change the industry, and of course, they get angry when you tell them that it doesnt matter. They have to win their imaginary war.
GIVE YOUR OPINION WHEREVER AND HOWEVER YOU PLEASE. its yours. you know what you do, but i am just saying is it necessary to hate a fictional series for 5 years with the same intensity as if the author just murdered your family? sounds childish.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I think they do care of some Japanese IP gets famous overseas but the North American and European anime fandom is essentially miniscule (but growing) and so does not get any significant attention from Japan (if Crunchyroll gets like 10 million subscribers, then the North American region will get attention). The Chinese fandom is changing this considering that manga sales in China could generate billions of dollars in revenues given that country has a population of 200 million nerds but that fandom still hasn't matured yet. The fans in South America are too poor to matter in anyway as we pirate pretty much everything, so economically our impact is null.

Also I should point out that there is no such thing as "anime fandom" in Japan, in Japan there is manga which is the backbone of the country's pop culture. Otaku are traditionally people obssessed with manga. Anime is a derivate of manga and is specially consumed by westerners because it's more accessible than manga. Aniotas are anime otakus and are but a small but growing fraction of all otakus.

The way Westerners consume and perceive Japanese pop culture is very different from the way Japanese people do. Westerners are obssessed with specific things like "this show is mature" while they don't watch Miyazaki's movies because they feel like it's "for kids" when in fact it's the best anime has to offer. Japanese nerdy people tend to mostly consume manga, games, internet art and once in while watch some anime although this is changing as anime is getting more popular among young people.

The massive barrier that exists between Japanese and Western pop culture is perhaps derived from the massive differences in language and the fact that they are two distinct civilizations. Only if most of Japan learns English (which will never happen) things will change significantly.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Those pop up on 2ch and other sites from time to time. I once saw a thread where they tried to translate/explain /a/ memes and jargon

Given the reputations the respective sites have, I have to wonder if even 2ch were asking "WTF is wrong with these people?" when discussing 4chan.

Well, I don't think I should post this link but whatever, examples of Japanese trying to comment on 4chan:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/17240551_10158359810600483_5259951996123868658_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=a3c23f7ad2ca66a48d6a8657b4e1dd6d&oe=5968914B
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RANGIT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
...The grass really is greener on the other side.

Never thought I'd quote the same post, but I just encountered this exchange on YouTube and it reminded me of what you said. This from someone who speaks both English and Japanese fluently.

KeeperofSecrets wrote:
For an English cover, there sure are a lot of Japanese comments. Um... I am just a bit confused why there are so many.

渡辺レベッカ ☆ Rebecca Butler Watanabe wrote:
For the same reason there are a lot of English comments on my English-->Japanese covers. The same reason I get so many comments from English speakers saying "I like this Japanese version better than the English version," and from Japanese speakers saying, "This sounds better in English than the original Japanese." I suppose it's looking at the grass from the other side.

Just thought you'd be interested. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5