• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
@penguintruth: Toriyama may have had Nozawa in mind for young Goku, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was the right choice for adult Goku. Goku is childishly naive, but that doesn't mean he should still have the voice of a nearly 80-year-old woman. Also, just as there can be lousy English dub cast decisions, the same thing applies to the Japanese, even if it was approved by the creator or director. Heck, Nozawa's Goku voice is why I watch "Super" muted.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Wait, they're starting with the Future Trunks arc? I stopped watching halfway through the Tournament Arc because every streaming site I used sucked. I knew there was a catch. They're punishing the people who waited for legal streaming.

Every week they'll be adding ten more episodes to catch up. It takes time for that kind of stuff.

I'm a bit skeptical. Crunchyroll was pretty bad about uploading all of the "Yu-Gi-Oh!" episodes.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
As much as I dislike the Japanese voices, I'll put my dislike aside to watch this. I've seen a few clips here and there for Super online, but I really wanted to watch the full series and I'm glad that there's a legal option to do so now.

I hope this means we aren't far away from Funi getting the rights to it and can dub it because the DBZ/Kai dub is just fantastic IMO.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@penguintruth: Toriyama may have had Nozawa in mind for young Goku, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was the right choice for adult Goku. Goku is childishly naive, but that doesn't mean he should still have the voice of a nearly 80-year-old woman. Also, just as there can be lousy English dub cast decisions, the same thing applies to the Japanese, even if it was approved by the creator or director. Heck, Nozawa's Goku voice is why I watch "Super" muted.

Nozawa's adult Goku is different, more mature-sounding than her child Goku. Her Goten is more like her child Goku, with a bit more of a squeal. Her Gohan is in between.

Anyway, like I said, it's all in the line delivery. Nozawa's delivery is full of joy and charm, making Goku instantly likeable, despite his often selfish attitude. Schemmel's (though he's improved dramatically), or any of the others, sound more like a conventional hero protagonist more than an excitable manchild. Goku is supposed to stand out from everyone else in the cast. If he sounds too much like the other characters, with some beefy adult man tone and delivery, he ceases to carry the same spirit that's intended.

You can not like Nozawa's Goku, but it's the very image of how the character is intended. It just means you don't care much for the character or misinterpret him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

I'm a bit skeptical. Crunchyroll was pretty bad about uploading all of the "Yu-Gi-Oh!" episodes.

Was? They still are we're at 78 episodes as of this writing while GX and 5D's have nearly two hundred episodes up.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
As for this announcement ,this is dumb. They couldn't have at least made this event happen at the start of the future trunks arc?? Now we have to wait at least 4-5 weeks before the sub gets to the point where we actually need to start. I understand wanting to get us at the exact episode they are at,but to call this stunt as little more as bad timing,would be the biggest understatement of the fu#king year!!

I can't tell if you misinterpreted the wording of the announcement, but they will be putting the entire Future Trunks arc so far up first, from the start.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

You can not like Nozawa's Goku, but it's the very image of how the character is intended. It just means you don't care much for the character or misinterpret him.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this assessment. Like I said, a voice doesn't make a personality. Even if Toriyama envisioned Nozawa as Goku from the very beginning, he was still a manga character first and an anime character second, which means he started with no voice and had to be carried on writing alone. That is how to characterize a character. To envoy what and who a character is should be completely possible with writing.

To say that someone who dislikes the Japanese voice, simply doesn't care for Goku's character or is misinterpreting him is a completely ignorant thing to say, and you should know better than that. In the end, it all comes down to opinion. It is a damn preference, no matter how much you want to consider that Nozawa is the end-all-be-all true choice. Point being, Nozawa may have been the voice Toriyama wanted for Goku, but she is NOT the only person capable on Earth who can properly convey Goku. That's just ludicrous. Maybe, in your opinion, of the voices Goku has HAD you think she's the only one able to pull it off... but to think she's the only one period who can convey Goku, just because Toriyama wanted her to voice Goku, is ridiculous. Goku is not the voice. Goku is Goku. And even if you think the English voice actors haven't been able to "get" Goku, that doesn't mean it's impossible simply because it isn't Nozawa.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
OK, here is someone who can't imagine Goku with any other voice than Masako Nozawa. For me, Sean Schemmel feels wrong. It's not about his acting, that is pretty good, especially recently, it's the voice itself, which, in my opinion, doesn't feel right for the character, making him more mature than he's supposed to be. I also have problem with narrator, so far, pretty much every dubbed narrator felt like stereotypycal overexcited deeply voiced man, while in original, you have this slow speaking old man and I am glad they kept this feel even after Jouji Yanami was replaced with Naoki Tatsuta, because that's the feel of Dragon Ball for me.

Still, I am simply stating my own opinions here, I have no intention to attack on anyone with different opinions. If you like Funimation dub of Dragon Ball, it's your choice. I don't share your taste, but I don't see a need to attack it. Why some others here (unfortunately from both dubbed and subbed sides) feel a notion to do so?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
OK, here is someone who can't imagine Goku with any other voice than Masako Nozawa. For me, Sean Schemmel feels wrong. It's not about his acting, that is pretty good, especially recently, it's the voice itself, which, in my opinion, doesn't feel right for the character, making him more mature than he's supposed to be.

Schemmel's Goku is definitely nothing to write home about but his King Kai?.....Simply awful. And unfortunately one of the voices they didn't fix in the Kai dub.

peno wrote:
I also have problem with narrator, so far, pretty much every dubbed narrator felt like stereotypycal overexcited deeply voiced man,

The Ocean dub didn't have this problem. It was the original Funimation dub that did thankfully they stopped with this nonsense in the Kai dub.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
To be quite honest, I don't really see anything wrong with Schemmel's King Kai's voice. True, it wasn't really the brightest idea to cast him on both Goku and King Kai, but somehow, his voice worked pretty well on King Kai, so I don't really see how that one needs to be fixed. It's really one of the Funimation DB dub voices I definitely have no serious problem with and even love it.
NitroNeon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Schemmel's King Kai is horrible. He probably only got recast in the role because his buddy Sabat is director. No bias there Rolling Eyes
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
NitroNeon wrote:
Schemmel's King Kai is horrible. He probably only got recast in the role because his buddy Sabat is director. No bias there Rolling Eyes

or it could be due to the fact that Saban Entertainment pulled out and stopped funding the show (hence why they could no longer afford to hire the Ocean Group to dub it for them) so they had to hire local talent with little money and thus didn't have a large pool of voice actors to choose from and so people ended up with multiple roles?
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of King Kai, I hope FUNi & Chris Sabat are aware of Jōji Yanami being sick during the early Super episodes because from what I have seen of the Portuguese dub (stopped at the infamous episode 5), the people over there didn't and King Kai sounds very much like Yanami was before he got replaced.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
To be quite honest, I don't really see anything wrong with Schemmel's King Kai's voice. True, it wasn't really the brightest idea to cast him on both Goku and King Kai, but somehow, his voice worked pretty well on King Kai, so I don't really see how that one needs to be fixed. It's really one of the Funimation DB dub voices I definitely have no serious problem with and even love it.

The problem is that it's always been a bad impression of the Ocean voice... which was also bad.

A bad impression of a bad voice is even worse. Schemmel's Goku has at least improved to where you can pick up on the lightness of the character's personality (helped by the improving dub scripts). King Kai's voice isn't his fault, though: nobody doing that voice for that character could do him justice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
peno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
If Schemmel really tried to copy Don Brown's King Kai from Ocean dub (which was terrible, I am giving you that), then he did really bad job, since I don't really hear any similarities there Wink Schemmel sounds little more like Jouji Yanami, but not exactly. He actually reminds me Naoki Tatsuta's take on the role, though Schemmel still sounds a little younger (but not too much, really).

NJ_ wrote:
Speaking of King Kai, I hope FUNi & Chris Sabat are aware of Jōji Yanami being sick during the early Super episodes because from what I have seen of the Portuguese dub (stopped at the infamous episode 5), the people over there didn't and King Kai sounds very much like Yanami was before he got replaced.

But why should dub change the voice, when the original does so? People watching the dub are used to the voice, so why changing it, if there's no real reason to do so? So what if he sounds like the original version voice before it was replaced. Dub doesn't necessarily needs to copy the original to a point it sounds exactly the same. Disney tried that in past, but even they failed miserably and realised every country and/or language has different approach on how things should sound. For example, in Japan, it is normal for little boys to be voiced by adult women trying to sound child-like, while American cartoons (and sometimes anime dubs) largely use adult men trying to sound teenage-like. Neither approach is acceptable for my country, since we prefer for such roles, to be casted by real child VA, despite him not being perfect actor. And that's just one of many examples. As much as I like it, when dub is as close to original as possible, I understand it's not always possible or even acceptable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7