• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Sou-chan's death makes me think a reset is coming at some point. Kudos to the show, however, if it has the balls to stick by its deaths.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
I don't expect any reset. Based on Cranberry, it seems like what you see is what you get. I wonder if the "winner" gets to make some sort of wish... if so, that is the only way I can see there being any sort of reset, since if Snow White won, and a wish was the prize, then we can all make educated guesses about what she'd wish for. But if there's no wish involved, then 'all deaths are final', which is how *I* think it's going to go.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't understand the point you're making, kefka; why can't a trans girl (not that that's what La Pucelle is/was, but s/he was at least gender ambiguous in some general sense) pledge that she would die for someone else? That seems like a human trait that cross-cuts gender identities to me.

relax, he's just complaining that his death was so telegraphed.

zeopower6 wrote:
Supposedly all of the first volume which is its own arc is getting adapted in this season, so that is at least going to be wrapped up, but as for the other books... depends on sales and stuff.

ah, so non conclusive but satisfying because it ends an arc, kind fo like re0 I guess; and soncidering how this arc is going I hope it ends the killing series, as cranberry hints , there has at least been one previous iteration of this.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

I am relaxed? Not sure why you'd think otherwise. But I don't think that's what she's saying at all here:

"What gender non conforming (trans) girl pledges that she would die for someone."

That appears to say "It's not a stereotypical trait of (trans) girls to pledge that they'd die for someone else, so it's weird this person, who is trans-ish, did so" - how badly telegraphed the death (and all the deaths on this show, heh) was doesn't seem to enter into it at all.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
MGRP is finally becoming the hyper violent and schlocky experience that the premise promised and I'm super happy about that. I was a bit worried after the slow start that the show was going to spend more time with world building and other stuff I don't care about as the focus, but fortunately that's not the case.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think the show shouldn't try to be a good story and if the show ends up being great on it's own merit I'll be extremely happy, I just think that pulling off this premise in a remotely serious or emotional way seems kinda difficult.

Also I'm really glad I don't bother reading the title cards that explain their powers.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
MGRP is finally becoming the hyper violent and schlocky experience that the premise promised and I'm super happy about that. I was a bit worried after the slow start that the show was going to spend more time with world building and other stuff I don't care about as the focus, but fortunately that's not the case.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think the show shouldn't try to be a good story and if the show ends up being great on it's own merit I'll be extremely happy, I just think that pulling off this premise in a remotely serious or emotional way seems kinda difficult.

Also I'm really glad I don't bother reading the title cards that explain their powers.

I get where you're coming from. I have a weak spot for ridiculous, over-the-top death-game type anime. And we haven't had a good one for a while now (Big Order in particular was a Big Disappointment).

I guess that I appreciated the classiness with which this one started, but I also wasn't really sure if it was going to be different/unique enough to hold my attention. But as Paul said, it would be best if I can enjoy the schlock while the show actually keeps its respect for its characters. I guess Game of Thrones is the obvious comparison for a show where anyone can die, but at least it usually has some meaning/consequences behind it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
I get where you're coming from. I have a weak spot for ridiculous, over-the-top death-game type anime. And we haven't had a good one for a while now (Big Order in particular was a Big Disappointment)

I have a weak spot for this genre as well, but I'm not convinced by Magical Girl Raising Project yet. Everything seems good about it except the writing; unfortunately, I think that's one of the most important bits.

Makes me wish Btoooooom! had gotten an S2..
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I have a weak spot for this genre as well, but I'm not convinced by Magical Girl Raising Project yet. Everything seems good about it except the writing; unfortunately, I think that's one of the most important bits.

Makes me wish Btoooooom! had gotten an S2..

It's funny because I could never get into Btooooom! and dropped it maybe 3 episodes in (the anime... have not touched the manga). There was too much exposition ("how do these bombs work, durrrrrrr?") and too much pervy stuff with Blond Tits. Did she have a name? Because I don't remember it. I remember her being defined as being a cute blond chick who was constantly in danger who also had big boobs.

If there had been any hints at all that Btooooom! would actually end up evolving into anything but an exploitative mess, I might have stuck with it. By starting off so slow, I think that Magical Girl Raising Project has the advantage there at least.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
My memories of Btooom are pretty vague (other than thinking highly of it); was there really that much 'hi this girl has big tits watch her do things like jump randomly' stuff? If so, I guess it didn't stick out to me. The only anime I really associate that badly with of late is Occultic;Nine; there are literal scenes where the F-cup (is that even a thing?) female co-lead just chants nonsense while jumping up and down for 60+ seconds straight...
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="maximilianjenus"]
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't understand the point you're making, kefka; why can't a trans girl (not that that's what La Pucelle is/was, but s/he was at least gender ambiguous in some general sense) pledge that she would die for someone else? That seems like a human trait that cross-cuts gender identities to me.

She im a t girl and for the record I am half complaining bout telegraph half general bury your gays like Okay a trans magical girl I became a girl to imitate Homura Souta's reactions to being a girl are actually similar to Hazumu suddenly becoming a girl being happier. Honestly I would kill Snow white making Pucelle a knight lover without her leige
Basically Pearl from SU
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
That's really hard to parse. I'm a cis dude, but I would have enjoyed a show that upset tropes by killing Snow White as well; I think that would've had a slightly better shot at being a better show (and currently I am not super impressed by this show, though I think it's OK).

I'm not sure about the rest, though. I think you've gotten very emotional and are maybe not being super clear because of it?
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
That's really hard to parse. I'm a cis dude, but I would have enjoyed a show that upset tropes by killing Snow White as well; I think that would've had a slightly better shot at being a better show (and currently I am not super impressed by this show, though I think it's OK).

I'm not sure about the rest, though. I think you've gotten very emotional and are maybe not being super clear because of it?

Tries to suppress her illness being triggered from people not understanding
Okay one guy misgendered me but I'm saying queer especially trans one's want a trans magical girl
And Hazumu is from Kashi mashi
Just both are similar
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:

I get where you're coming from. I have a weak spot for ridiculous, over-the-top death-game type anime. And we haven't had a good one for a while now (Big Order in particular was a Big Disappointment).

I'm exaggerating a bit in that comment to be sure, I don't actually want to see everyone mindlessly murdered without good cause. I don't want this to end up as exploitative as BTOOOM. But so far it isn't the case and I think the schlock was handled quite well.

Plus as you said I have a bit of a weakness for this genre, I loved Mirai Nikki despite it's many flaws because it was just so ridiculous and insane that I couldn't not enjoy how dumb it was.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I did like Mirrai Nikki. It had its problems, but it hid them until the end, and I don't recall it ever doing the silly sex-ploitation stuff of Occultic;Nine, and it was more complete than Btoom etc.

Ya'll are making me wanna re-watch Btooom!, though. Was it really that bad?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I liked Btooom! Seemed like fun popcorn entertainment from what I can remember.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 17