• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Is All The Anime On Hulu Going?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boznia

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
They say that, yet InuYasha has less than 96 hours left before that show is gone from Hulu forever... Perhaps VIZ has an explanation for this...?

It'll probably automatically renew when it expires. This isn't the first time shows on Hulu were about to expire and then were renewed immediately.

Edit: Justin updated the Answerman article, Viz's listings were in error:

Quote:
(UPDATE: Viz has informed me that some of their titles have been flagged for removal in error, and that they have confirmed with Hulu that their catalog will not be affected.)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="boznia"]It'll probably automatically renew when it expires. This isn't the first time shows on Hulu were about to expire and then were renewed immediately.

Edit: Justin updated the Answerman article, Viz's listings were in error:

Quote:
(UPDATE: Viz has informed me that some of their titles have been flagged for removal in error, and that they have confirmed with Hulu that their catalog will not be affected.)

In that case, then, those that are still watching InuYasha (and other anime shows from VIZ) can breathe a sigh of relief... Smile
TnTDon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone else mentions, this is one reason why I collect. I find it funny those who stream are freaking out. It's going to happen sooner or later and we can't do anything about it. At least with my collection, when I want to watch one of my anime I can go straight to my shelf and pick one out to enjoy.

Similarly, I used to freak out when I was younger as well about physical releases. I remember going to the store and seeing titles come and go and get antsy about buying it right there and then because I wasn't sure if I would come across it again.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Yes, I'm old enough to remember TV long before the beginnings of VHS in the late 70's & early 80's. I remember being excited to see the first reruns of Star Trek and Lost in Space. There were many shows that I loved ( Daren McGavin in The Nightstalker. ) but they didn't last and you weren't going to see them syndicated any time soon then because there were too few episodes...In 2016 we've got a plethora of riches beyond my younger 1983 self's wildest dreams and I do appreciate it...I still don't trust any streaming service to be up and online tomorrow, let alone have the content I'm looking for...
Also @EricJ2 OMG you guys, I watched Lost in Space as well as AstroBoy first-run on our B&W TV! We were the second house on the block with color TV when they came out, friends came over to my house just to watch. I loved Kolshak "The Night Stalker", I haven't thought of that one in decades...True, streaming and DVD's are a dream compared to what TV was like then and as for tape, I still only have Project A-ko on VHS (seriously need to replace). The only permanency is DVD or a well backed-up HD
omiya wrote:
There needs to be long term archiving happening - like when you find out about a title long after it was first released, it would be good to have some legal means to access it.
What you desire sounds like torrent sites though some shows aren't available because of licensing proprieties. If people would pay, maybe some enterprising people could pool such into a giant collection, I would remind that Crunchyroll started like that and was a "competitor" to [certain major anime torrent sites.]

Edit: ANN's "GD" software exists for a reason. ~Zalis

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Fri May 27, 2016 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I am not surprised that Viz titles are staying on Hulu. I mean they got rid of their Neon Alley service because all their video would be on Hulu and Viz.com through Hulu Embeds. I see all of Funimation's titles eventually all be removed from Hulu and Netflix at some point so the Funimation streaming app would be the exclusive home for all their titles
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also @EricJ2 OMG you guys, I watched Lost in Space as well as AstroBoy first-run on our B&W TV! We were the second house on the block with color TV when they came out, friends came over to my house just to watch. I loved Kolshak "The Night Stalker", I haven't thought of that one in decades...

(It's on Netflix and Hulu....FOR NOW...and for $2 an episode on Amazon Streaming, but if you missed it when Universal had the complete disk set, be prepared to pay $120 on Amazon.
Gather ye acorns, for the cold winter winds approach.)

Quote:
True, streaming and DVD's are a dream compared to what TV was like then and as for tape, I still only have Project A-ko on VHS (seriously need to replace). The only permanency is DVD or a well backed-up HD

Remember in Otaku no Video, when "ota-king" Tanaka introduces Kubo to the then-new (in 1982) concept of storing geek-favorite shows on anal-retentively complete VHS tapes?:
"Haven't you ever dreamed of watching (Time Bokan) again?....Ta-daa! Here it is! Very Happy "

That was US. In the same niche, in exactly the same manner, and for exactly the same reasons.
To the Japanese, it was just making fun of fans "immature" enough to "relive childhood", but we knew that we had to store these things, or they wouldn't be coming back. Even more so for us in the US, because if your VHS fansub tape of Totoro was gone, you wouldn't be able to find it anywhere ELSE. (I mean, hey, it wasn't like Disney was going to sell it at Wal-mart in a big clamshell case! Wink )

Anime fans helped DVD find a market for series boxsets, for dual-language audio, and other things DVD was struggling to figure out back when a commentary was still considered new.
Call fans possessive, but one of our more, quote, "immature" traits is the constant fear that some mean grownup will snatch away our teddy bears. Which instinct is coming in handy now that they actually are.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
The show is on Netflix.

Oh poo, no wonder I haven't heard of it, don't have Netflix.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
What little guilt left I have for possessing digital files of those back catalog titles on hulu instantly went poof.

Streaming is such a volatile form to get your anime fix, it really is a poor way to watch it beyond getting the seasonal shows. Still, it's rather sad that they're morphing more and more into mainstream TV, that people have outgrown and unloved.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Looking at the SOL list that @roots ofjustice has up, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ulhs7Yr9Ax1hBw5oHxih0_P3BBRy2l3P6ttxRN8UF8k/edit, thank goodness I bought Simoun when it was on sale.

EricJ2 wrote:
... - And the anime companies that used to be grateful some other site would stream their shows are now getting greedy to stream them themselves--For a nominal cost, of course. ...

Note that this is not what is happening in this particular case ... Hulu is doing this, not the anime companies.

It would be nice if Toei would decide to put their catalog titles on Crunchyroll, since under Toei's structure it's likely that a lot of them would have North and South America and the Caribbean licensing, which would make a pleasant change from the "North America only" catalog titles.
Violynne

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Rhys2753 wrote:
Quote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs.

Damn right.

Justin should have known better to make a statement like this.

Entertainment is consumable, but if the only reason people are buying disks is out of a benign fear, he should remind them how many of those disks he's watched from his personal collection.

Justin can probably relate, but I won't speak for him, but for me, being an anime fan required considerable amounts of cash, sales, and making friends with video and retail employees.

In those days, anime was sold in parts. Many, many parts. 2 episodes on a VHS tape was common. Many of us fans copied because it was just too expensive to own all the series we wanted.

This wasn't an attitude of "have it all, pay for none". Legitimately, it was just far too expensive. Owning a series could easily set you back $300. Keep this in mind when you consider what Aniplex is doing today.

When CDs came out, things were only marginally better. They were cheaper, but not by much. Retailers started carrying more because the size made it easier to shelf and move inventory.

Being an anime fan was extremely stressful for me, because I took risks buying a starter disk and hoped the licensor didn't stop production mid run. Sadly, this happened far too often. I still have disks whose parts will never finish. Worse is when publishers deliberately shorted production runs, just to push a sense of urgency to fans to buy! buy! buy!

Today's fans are damn lucky, since it's pretty easy for them to guarantee a collection with a single box set and pay $100 or less for it.

The point of this is something I want to stress: Buy what you enjoy because you don't have to worry about missing out.

This will happen regardless. Look around today and actually see how many shows R1 licenses compared to what Japan releases on air. It's not a one-to-one match, so even if the show is removed online, you still don't have access to it anyway.

I'm disappointed Justin is using a fear tactic as a basis why people buy. The last thing this industry needs is to go back to the 1980s.

If it does, I'm out of anime for good. I never want to go back to that era of "Buy anime or you'll never see it again!" bullshit.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I was just browsing the Hulu pages for Oreimo and Oreimo 2, two of the series that were being removed, and the expiration warnings just disappeared, as if they're actually going to stay.

Not sure what's up with that, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally, Best Buy has been doing one-day sales on certain anime titles all week from FUNi. I ended up snagging the Bebop Blu-Rays, but they also sold the original FMA, DBZ seasons, and even Yu Yu Hakusho seasons 1-4.

I chalk it up to humorous coincidence.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Just depressing. I understand that titles weren't going to last forever streamed, but so many at such a short time is kind of a shock. Hoping other streaming sites have a lot of the catalog. Still see streaming as a nice benefit for the companies that could lead to more DVD sales and less people going the pirate route.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
In those days, anime was sold in parts. Many, many parts. 2 episodes on a VHS tape was common. Many of us fans copied because it was just too expensive to own all the series we wanted.
Being an anime fan was extremely stressful for me, because I took risks buying a starter disk and hoped the licensor didn't stop production mid run. Sadly, this happened far too often. I still have disks whose parts will never finish. Worse is when publishers deliberately shorted production runs, just to push a sense of urgency to fans to buy! buy! buy!

Well, that's one GOOD thing to come out of the 00's Bubble:
Streaming didn't exist in ADV's day--they were still trying to sell us on Cable-on-Demand--so the industry had to exist on sales to pay for the dubs, and selling the disks while the series was in progress (which would result in their not finishing the series after low sales.)

In our new technic-ologically advanced streaming day, disk sales is now the last step, as icing on the cake for the company, and fans are not only able to sample the entire completed season before they buy, they're encouraged to--That's how companies get their exposure and word-of-mouth.
We used to have to do it on the sly, with bit-torrented digisubs, and now we have nice professional people to do it for us.

Again, that's not saying that streaming should "replace" disks just because it's "easier", since we know now they'll eventually evaporate, just that anyone mildly curious about a series now has an avenue by which those "Shakedown" days will never, ever come back.
Hey, you're talking to someone who was on the fan front lines to drag Viz kicking and screaming back to finish Maison Ikkoku; don't lecture ME about $30 2-ep. VHS tapes, sonny-Jim.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Rhys2753 wrote:
Quote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs.

Damn right.

Yep. When I saw that most, if not all, of Media Blasters' content was coming off Hulu, I at least took some comfort in knowing I had what I wanted on my shelves already.

Streaming is great for watching shows the first time, and figuring out what you like, but it isn't a substitute for having your own copy. Licenses expire, under-performers are culled, and sometimes things just outlive their popularity. While I buy discs for various reasons, situations like this are why I question whenever somebody claims that streaming is the future. It's definitely important, but it is also entirely dependent on the content continuing to be worth it to the company doing the streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6