• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Animated Mega Man Show Teases 1st Visual, Story, Character Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
The way I see it, a show that appeals mainly to kids doesn't necessarily have to be good for older people, but it still has to appeal well to kids. Like any other group of people, kids will reject something they don't like. It's just that the tastes of kids aren't necessarily the same as those of adults.

Take the success of those live-action/CGI Alvin and the Chipmunks movies, for instance. Most adults can't stand them. But kids can't get enough of them. That's because the chipmunk characters are written in a way kids can relate to (reckless, impulsive, always looking for something to stimulate themselves, and very very socially close to each other), and Dave and other adults in the series are written like how kids view their parents (larger than life, somewhat distant, harsh and stern, utterly confused by the kids'/chipmunks' behavior, but ultimately wise and caring and will step in to handle problems beyond the kids'/chipmunks' control).

This is an area of writing where Man of Action excels. If a Man of Action TV show has a minor for a protagonist, that series is going to combine those relatable growing pains of being a child or teenager combined with the wish fulfillment kind of action. Characters like Ben Tennyson are like a friend in personality and like a role model in their heroics.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
you pretty much know this series will be kid friendly considering that its being run by the same company that did monsuno and little battlers experience.

if it was an anime style like animation like with the megaman x series then i would be all for it. but this 3D monstrosity which is more or less another attempt to americanized another series so it can be released in the US (speaking to you Sonic X and F-Zero) wont get any attraction here at all unless its to be mocked and get abridged by fangroups like littlekuriboh. dont be surprised that this thing gets shunned by every fanbase over there and it tanks very very badly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

well said. you pretty much know this series will be kid friendly considering that its being run by the same company that did monsuno and little battlers experience. .

Monsuno is granted, but Danball Senki is actually an anime, it just had one of the most heavily altered dubs ever made to the point half the episodes in the series were cut out and skipped. I'm not sure if you were trying to say Sonic X and F-Zero weren't anime but they were. Sonic Boom and that upcoming Voltron cartoon are better examples of American adaptions of Japanese properties.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5