• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ERASED TV Anime to Get English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
I feel like we should pull up quotes (those complaining and those defending) from the past 5 years of AoA-bitching threads and putting them in the first post just so the cheap anime crusaders ("Anime is a right, not a privilege!") don't have to keep repeating themselves, and each Aniplex thread doesn't look exactly the same as all of the other ones. And for those of you that consider supporting Aniplex worse than piracy (I've seen this attitude in past threads, and it's about to get in this one), grow up, and stop feeling so entitled (I also recommend the following). Your attitude is quite frankly disgusting. You don't have to like their prices, I repeat you don't have to like their prices, but you shouldn't go around practically considering those that support them as criminals.

This is ludicrous. Not wanting to be abused by greedy corporations isn't "entitlement" whatsoever. The companies can make a tidy profit without overreaching, but the gullible "limited edition" collectors are playing into the allure of shiny boxes and worthless trinkets.

I won't be accused of selfishness just because I don't want anyone to pay too much for so little content. The people who will pay it are part of the problem and no amount of hand wringing over justifying your poor purchasing strategies will convince me otherwise.

It doesn't make much sense that "the collector's market" are the people who pay MORE. The collectors are the people who pay less so they can buy more volume. Because they want to collect more. I have hundreds of anime DVDs. I'm the collector, not the dope who pays 90 dollars for a 90 minute movie. They're more interested in the prestige than the product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
The thing that I dislike the most about Aniplex USA's pricing controversy is the insults coming from both the detractors and the supporters of AoA's business model. It is possible to defend your position without being rude and condescending to people.

I am in a favorable economic situation (and no, I am not rich) to be able to once in a while buy something from AoA. I don't want anyone insulting me because of how I choose to spend my money in my hobby.

At the same time I don't want anyone telling me why I should never question all the businesses practices of AoA or Ponycan USA. Not all the stuff they sell is worth the asking price to me. I was interested in buying Garden of Sinners on DVD in lieu of BD, but the DVD box set that AoA offered was very expensive. The ridiculous packaging, pricing and lack of a dub is why I don't want to buy Sound! Euphonium from PCUSA.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm neutral on a dub either way.. This series is really good..

Then I get further down the article and read Aniplex has it... bummer yet another title I will never own.

I can't justify spending the Aniplex asking prices.. They got me on Fate/Zero and UBW.. and they will probably have me on Charlotte... but regular releases... no thanks.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
This is ludicrous. Not wanting to be abused by greedy corporations isn't "entitlement" whatsoever. The companies can make a tidy profit without overreaching, but the gullible "limited edition" collectors are playing into the allure of shiny boxes and worthless trinkets.

I won't be accused of selfishness just because I don't want anyone to pay too much for so little content. The people who will pay it are part of the problem and no amount of hand wringing over justifying your poor purchasing strategies will convince me otherwise.

It doesn't make much sense that "the collector's market" are the people who pay MORE. The collectors are the people who pay less so they can buy more volume. Because they want to collect more. I have hundreds of anime DVDs. I'm the collector, not the dope who pays 90 dollars for a 90 minute movie. They're more interested in the prestige than the product.

Oh get off your high horse.... Look I completely agree that AoA's prices as a whole are a turn off to many, It's a darn shame that many wont ever be able to afford their sets and the wonderful catalog they have, and I TOO don't like their prices as I'd much rather be able to get 5-6 titles from Funi or Sentai then drop $300 on a single title from AoA, but I RESENT being told that I'm a "problem" that I'm "Gullible" that I have "poor purchasing strategies" I'll do whatever the hell I want with my money as all of it essentially goes into supporting the NA anime industry. Like angelmcazares says below there's nothing wrong with questioning AoA (or Ponycan's) decisions and certainly not every title is going to be worth the asking price to everyone. As someone who vastly prefers english dubs over Japanese dubs there are many AoA (and Ponycan) titles I'll never buy because paying $3000 for a sub only series in which my enjoyment is going to be severely hindered by the lack of an English dub is something I'll never be able to justify. On the other hand I own all of the Fate Zero, UBW, SAO, Madoka, Blue Exorcist, Kill La Kill and a few other LE's and they have very much been worth what I paid for them as they are ALL absolutely fantastic series in my opinion. I'll decide for myself what I consider to be "shiny boxes and worthless trinkets" and wont tolerate being belittled and berated because I Dare occasionally support and purchase titles from a particular NA anime company....

Getting mad and insulting anime fans for supporting and purchasing titles from a NA company is just embarrassing. I would LOVE for AoA's prices to lower but the fact that many people who complain about them forget about is that they are at the will of AoJ, every move AoA makes I'm willing to bet has to be signed off by AoJ. So for as long as Japan is obsessed with reverse importation fears and continues to charge more then double AoA for EVERY anime, AoA will be forced to charge the prices it does because unlike Funimation/Sentai who can do what they want, AoA is a subsidiary of AoJ so getting mad and calling those who purchase AoA pruducts is just silly..... The NA market is by far an afterthought to Japan. If AoA titles don't sell AoJ will just close them up and the title will stay in Japan ONLY. Is that what you want? The only think gullible is thinking that not buying AoA products and yelling at AoA about their prices is going to get them to lower them. As much as I wish they were lower and those who complain its too expensive have a right to that belief, unless AoJ changes its ways AoA is NOT going to be able to change.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I really figured ERASED would get dubbed, AoA has been pretty consistent with dubbing its shows since Madoka Magica at least (maybe earlier excluding The Garden of Sinners) sill wondering who the dubbing house will be seeing as Funimation also seemed to have the license or maybe streaming rights or something. Kind of hoping for Bang Zoom on this one, nothing against Funi but I'm really hoping for Christine Cabanos for Kayo and Marianne Miller for Satoru. Still the price tags are going to hurt my wallet.

Only the licensor does the dubbing. This is sad though, as many unlicensed shows ultimately face the wrath of not getting dubs, with GOOD series like Konosuba and Kabaneri even getting the bucket. This is why I hope that sites like Crunchyroll start making their own dubs - and why AoA needs its own dubbing company.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
@DuchessBianca : Well said.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Regarding Charlotte, unless Aniplex USA has confirmed something, some people are assuming that its disc release will be sub-only. But because Charlotte was made by some of the people behind the fan favorite Angel Beats!, there is a good chance that Charlotte is getting a dub.
Otoh, I've seen some speculation on fandompost that Charlotte won't get a home video release over here at all, let alone a dub. As others have said, it sold reasonably well in Japan, but its reception over here seems to have been quite frosty, to say the least. Obviously anything could happen, pending AoA's decisions, but we probably should prepare ourselves for the "no disc release" scenario as well.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
I kinda want to hear Crispin doing the ep11 monologue.

TheMorry wrote:
Just import from Australia or Europe.

Erased won't have the same bargain price as Madoka in the UK; Anime Limited have it and their initial release will be a Ultimate (£100-150 RRP) or Collector's edition (~£60/70).
No-one in Australia has announced it yet (although it is streaming on AnimeLab).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I am definitely going to want to read the manga and watch the anime before watching the dub. Given the reception this series has, you have to make sure you are as faithful as possible. If they have it available on Hulu, I will watch that because I rarely get anime DVD/BDs anymore and am not going to pay those AoA prices.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
Aniplex is charging $60 for a 60 minute movie...LOL! Thanks for the laugh Aniplex. I wonder how many fans are willing to essentially pay $1 a minute for a movie. Is this a popular movie or something because I've never heard of it. Aniplex must think that everything they touch turns to gold or something. Well, in any case at least Madoka isn't going out of print.

They do, they're an incredibly arrogant company that will even celebrate their own series in PR releases when it's clear nobody else is. They pretty much proclaim everything they do as a masterpiece epochal hit on the back of their Japanese BD packaging gaining something of an infamous reputation in Japan for it. Their whole business model is based around convincing people they have the most amazing must have master class works out there and then holding the licenses for those franchises hostage and charging ridiculous out of market prices for them or doing things like splitting them up into multiple parts like a DLC scheme. It's like they took the worst aspects from the Japanese Idol Music industry and American Triple A gaming scene and married them together for an approach that works on many but which I'm glad I'm immune too personally. I tend to make my own judgments on things leading to very different assessment of value compared to many fans, I get called all sorts of names for it too which is kind of childish but like whatever. I left childish schoolyard peer pressure concerns behind a long time ago even if I still haven't completely lost all my love for Asian animation just yet.

penguintruth wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
US$149.98

I am judging all the people willing to pay this price. You are part of the problem.

Sigh. I really liked this show, too.

Well its actually...
Quote:
...and a store price of US$119.98
I say love the sinner (buyers), hate the sin (AoA). Laughing

If it were 90 dollars it would be too much. You can go buy the 12 episode series Rage of Bahamut: Genesis from Funimation for $50 at TRSI. Granted, the full original retail price was $84.98, but that's still cheaper than 120 bucks.

People who buy these products only enforce Aniplex's delusion that it's okay to charge this high a price for anime. This company is greedy beyond measure. It's disgusting and the people who patronize them with purchases are only making things worse. The customers are even worse than the company, as far as I'm concerned.

I honestly don't know how so many people can continue to buy into their bullshit marketing and business practices in 2016 even as the overall quality of their investments as a prolific production committee member have dropped off significantly as the decade has gone on and they've realized that people in the anime community are gullible as sin and then can earn just as much by targeting whale fanatic fans of certain kinds of content and people in the LN/VN scenes. All this has lead to what I see as a rapid homogenization and shrinking of the potential fanbase for anime over the course of the decade to the point where it's basically pigeon holded itself in a way I don't know how it gets itself out of.

They just make things so much shittier for the potential of anime as a whole in so many ways but considering they practically have the current fanbase brainwashed to the point where they think people that protest against it are "haters" and the bad guys in this situation it just looks hopeless for the industry to escape from their clutches. I feel like lately I'm just waiting out the inevitable for the rest of the industry to collapse in an inability to keep up with the big money, greed and self interest of the Aniplex's of the scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5