• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Overlord

And order was restored Cool

I like how Prison School and God Eater got chosed by the community solely based on hype, since they didn't start airing yet. Hope it will be fine.
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
I love the idea of classic reviews. AV Club does the same with their TV Club Classic, and those reviews are always a bit more interesting to me. So I'm glad to see something similar pop up here. Though if it takes off, will it always adhere to the anime being reviewed as one the reviewer has not seen? Me personally, I actually like reviews when the reviewer knows what it is coming for the series as a whole. It sometimes feels like there is more context for how an episode fits within the larger narrative, and on the character level as well.

I do understand if that will not be the priority right away, if the feature proves to be a hit(which I hope it will be!). Just once the well of classics that haven't been seen yet dries up, that revisiting could be a worthwhile long term endeavor as well!

As far as classics I would like to see.

Cowboy Bebop for sure, Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin(length might understandably be too much), Digimon Tamers, Gundam The 08th Ms Team, War In the Pocket, and 0083: Stardust Memory, Baccano, FMA and FMA:Brotherhood, Eden of the East, BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
Just to point out that Paranoia Agent is available through MVM in the UK, so it can be officially purchased.
So if you're in the US and you have a region free DVD player, you could probably import it the way most people in the UK have had to import DVDs from the US in the past!

I totally recommend it!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
Would the Daily Streaming Reviews Classics (DSR-C) focus on easier-to-consume, 1- or 2-cour shows, or it could include multi-cour shows, like Slam Dunk, adaptations of Takahashi Rumiko works, the Gundam and Ginga Eiyū Densetsu franchises, and such?
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
Looks like the shows i'm most looking forward to (so far) are pretty evenly split between Gabriella and Nick. Which doesn't surprise me all that much. Smile

The concept of Streaming Reviews Classic sounds very interesting. I've watched Paranoia Agent when it was airing and rated it highly back then. I don't really have the time for another show but i'm still a bit tempted to rewatch PA, if only to see how/if my opinion changed and how it compares to Nicks's viewing experience...
Random 21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
Goodbye Rin-ne, I may have only been one of a few, but I voted for you. At least I got everything else I voted for.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:04 am Reply with quote
I love the idea of classic episode reviews! And Paranoia Agent is definitely a good one to start with. I will be interested in what Nick has to say about it.

My recommendations for the classic episode reviews:

Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Baccano!
Serial Experiments Lain
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Merostay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
is it time to post our classic rewiew suggestions?

Star Driver
Katanagatari
Cashern Sins
C – The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
Jojo`s season 1
K
Mai-hime
Samurai Flamenco
Vision of Escaflowne
Zetman

my interests in order of interest.the ones that other peoples arent suggesting as much,since there seems to be lots of people who want Penguindrum
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
For those interested in importing the UK release of Paranoia Agent, do be aware that it's censored. spoiler[It's the scene in episode 8? where the girl tries to hang herself]

And yet it's still rated 18. I hate the BBFC sometimes.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
Merostay wrote:
Samurai Flamenco

It already got covered for review, in a 3-part column, so I doubt it will be covered again.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
What? The voting poll is already finished without getting any chance to vote, even though I'm visiting ANN daily. Too bad.

At least, the animes which I wanted to be reviewed has already made so I won't take it seriously.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
Most of the titles I wanted made the line-up, which is great.

And there's a few others that look interesting (Gangsta, Chaos Dragon, Overlord), but aren't streaming in the UK, which is a bit disappointing, but maybe Viewster will be able to pry them from FUNi's grasp.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
And ANN takes another step towards trying to be the Onion A.V. Club of anime with adding Classic reviews.

(yes I'll be reading them - P.A. is in my top 5 favorite series ever)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'm perfectly fine with the idea of episode to episode of classic series- if they're being streamed somewhere and not just being watched on some out of print DVD.

Madoka, that would be good as its readily available but only if the reviewer never saw the series before. Highly unlikely, I'd say.

Here's a fun one, She the Ultimate Weapon/ Saikano. I would love to read episode to episode impressions on that one.

Honestly, most of the true classics aren't available for streaming ; Call it Fishing in the Stream and do the best you can or go with Back for the Dead and do what you want with it.

By the way, the ultimate episode to episode show to review would be My Hime as it takes a genre shift every three episodes. That one really needs a little rescuing- even if Funimation already rescued it. In 2013.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Out of curiosity: Is it possible to see the actual percentage results for this poll? I would enjoy being able to see which shows were voted the most and least just to gauge popularity.

Numbers are the percentage of the vote they got:

Most popular:

Gangsta 49.5
Rokka 46.0
Monster Musume 44.1
Charlotte 43.2
Snow White with the Red Hair 43.0
GATE 35.9
Durarara! X2 35.1
Prison School 31.6
God Eater 31.6
My Love Story!! 31.2
Gatchaman Crowds Insight 29.9

Least popular:

Sky Wizards Academy 9.7
Seiyu's Life 9.2
Rin-ne 9.1
Junjou Romantica 3 7.5
Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 7.1
Venus Project 3.2

As for classic: We're aware it's awkward that the show is OOP for NA, but it can be had from the UK on DVD, and used copies are out there. A lot of people saw this when it aired on Adult Swim, too. We really wanted to go with something that was only 13 episodes long - committing a writer to a 26-episode thing was out because we have no idea what our needs will be for the fall, and the system is as such where we have a limited number of slots. So this season actually gave us the opportunity to launch this, because it was a fairly light one - only 27 shows or so, and we have 28-29 total slots available.

So a one-cour thing would be perfect, we haven't done a podcast on this show yet, and it's well-remembered but hasn't been talked about much in a while. We decided the out of print thing was a compromise we were willing to make. So we're gonna see how it goes with this, and then next time "in print on DVD or currently streaming" will be a requirement.

As for longer shows, as I said, it depends a lot on the season and what our resource pool looks like. I'd love to have someone covering longer classic shows, but we have to get to a place where that's feasible first.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We're cataloging them all for future reference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7