• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Critical Mass II: The Seasoning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Have you considered that an entirely objective review still could find the series to be a confusing mess of elements from multiple different genres crammed together? (See also Asuna Cryin'.)

But Asura Cryin' is a confusing mess of multiple genres crammed together into an adaption that doesn't do justice to the original work.

This is, in fact, completely irrelevant to Horizon, which is not "a confusing mass of multiple genres".

I'm sorry that Horizon requires you to actually apply your brain to it. Sure, information from the novels can flesh out and add more depth to things, but the show as it exists tells its story coherently, assuming you are willing to give it the effort it deserves.

Edit: For the record, I rather like Asura Cryin' for what it is, but it is a deeply flawed show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
The idea of a first episode making or breaking something is so foreign to me because I, apparently, approach shows so differently. I don't "test the waters" when it comes to a show. When I start a show, I have every intention of watching every single episode it has, weather I'm immediately hooked or not. Do I drop shows? Yes, but not because I feel lost or don't understand what's happening; I dropped them because I was bored or hated what was happening. I can certainly see why someone would dislike a show when they don't know what's going on, but that's why I keep watching. In good shows, things are always eventually explained. It may not be immediately, but when the creators feel it's the right time, they'll reveal it all. I mean, it took TTGL 18 episodes to explain why the humans were driven underground, and I don't think they could've done it any sooner, at least not to good effect.

I guess I just don't need to know everything right now because, in my mind, I'm gonna watch the whole show and then learn eventually, so no need to rush. I eventually learned why the humans were driven underground, why Menma didn't cross over, who Solty is, and who the eight lives that Balsa tries to atone for belong to. Making rash decisions to drop a show after a few episodes is something I both get and don't get at the same time. If you wanna drop a show after two episodes because you're bored or don't like it, fine. Dropping a show after one or two episodes because you're confused or don't understand the world, though? I say let it play out and see what it does, but apparently that's just me.

I agree partially with you. I am not a fan of dropping series either. I usually look for series that have elements I like. I wish usually finish series with those elements. And that is why I tried to avoid harem, ecchi, shounen and monster series because these are my least favorite genres/elements in anime.

But I agree with Zac that one is able to tell if a series is going to be worth watching from the first episode. You can tell from one episode if the directors, writers, artists know what the hell they are doing. In this era of short series (11-13 episodes) an anime has to convince that it is worth my time in one episode.

I usually apply this harsh judgement when deciding on simulcasts, especially when I am interested in several series. If I go "hunting" an old series on my own, I am willing to give up to 3 episodes to convince me.

EDIT: And I don't think Zac want to have EVERYTHING explained in the first episode. I think he looks for a hook.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

But I agree with Zac that one is able to tell if a series is going to be worth watching from the first episode. You can tell from one episode if the directors, writers, artists know what the hell they are doing. In this era of short series (11-13 episodes) an anime has to convince that it is worth my time in one episode.

Huh? Why? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Huh? Why? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Huh? Why? Was that short statement a question? What are you asking?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But I agree with Zac that one is able to tell if a series is going to be worth watching from the first episode.

I just don't look at it that way. It's a TV series, it has 13-26 episodes to tell a story and I don't see why so much pressure is put on the first few. And just to clarify, when I say "I don't see why", I know it's a personal choice, it's just one I can't really grasp. I just don't follow the idea of being hooked because, like I said, I don't need to be hooked since I'm already planning to see the whole thing. My stance is just so far removed from the "trying it out" people.

Quote:
EDIT: And I don't think Zac want to have EVERYTHING explained in the first episode.

I know that people don't literally want everything - it's hyperbole -, but they want so much from the first few episodes that it feels like they want everything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
If Sword Art Online can become a gateway anime and help give rise to another generation of otaku, that's fantastic. We need more of them because the genre for the last few years has been dramatically niche. It is also good that there is now an anime so incredibly divisive and sparking so much conversation. It would just be nice if the fanboys would listen to the complaints of those critical of the series and vice-versa. You're all right that this anime harbors conversation, but if you've ever seen the conversation, you know that those 100-page threads can be summed up like this:

Viewer #1: "SAO is the best anime ever!"
Viewer #2: "LOL SAO sucks!"
Viewer #1: "YOU SUCK!"
Viewer #2: "NO U!"

... which has been a long-festering style of communication since K-ON! and the rise of the whole "haters gonna hate" mentality, where fans have claimed an even greater superiority in their tastes and made the echo chamber of their enjoyment/spite that much louder and more annoying. I don't consider this a good thing at all.

Also, Theron, I had no interest in Chuunibyou because it was KyoAni moeblobbery, but you made it sound really good. I'll give it a try. Thanks for that.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Seems to me that you're equating "objective" with "positive" here. Have you considered that an entirely objective review still could find the series to be a confusing mess of elements from multiple different genres crammed together? (See also Asuna Cryin'.)

Asura Cryin's adaption isn't really that great.

The novels were still ongoing when the anime was being run so the anime actually did a few things different then the novels. Things are answered in the later novels that weren't even touched in the anime.

I'd even go as far as to say that the adaption is really really loose and pretty much only covers a certain amount when not addressing the plot holes it creates because it plays loose and fast with it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

... which has been a long-festering style of communication since K-ON! and the rise of the whole "haters gonna hate" mentality, where fans have claimed an even greater superiority in their tastes and made the echo chamber of their enjoyment/spite that much louder and more annoying. I don't consider this a good thing at all.

The hell does K-On have to do with that?
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Splitter wrote:

The hell does K-On have to do with that?

Absolutely nothing. It's just used here as a frame of reference for the time when this kind of "discussion" began to become popular. I could have just as easily used Code Geass or any other anime from the end of the last decade that had as many people who liked it as those that didn't like it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Absolutely nothing. It's just used here as a frame of reference for the time when this kind of "discussion" began to become popular.

Trust me, this kind of discussion has been going on since loooong before K-On aired.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:

Oh, I suspect that you'll be disappointed regardless of who reviews it, given that your avatar marks you as a series fanboy. (And please note that I'm not intending that as an insult; I freely admit that there are certain series/franchises that I'm a "fanboy" about.) You definitely don't want me reviewing it, because my opinion of the first season - haven't watched past episode one of the second - isn't that high; in fact, I'd use it as a classic example of the "series doesn't stand alone from the source material" phenomenon.

I guess hoping for an objective review was a bit much.

For the 700th Quadrillionth time...

The entire goddamn point of a review is to be subjective.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The entire goddamn point of a review is to be subjective.

Really? If all a review needs to do is be subjective, then what's stopping ANN from hiring fanboys or haters instead?

In fact, why have professional reviews at all if they are going to be completely subjective?

You're making it sound like there aren't objective qualities that can be talked about such as how well the story is constructed, how well the characters are developed, and the technical side of things with sound and video quality.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
such as how well the story is constructed, how well the characters are developed

Though that is also subjective. Madoka was hailed as great despite just copying things from Kamen Rider Ryuki. Obviously if you've never seen Ryuki it wont mean much to you and you'll find it original, but to those that have, they'll either accept it and enjoy it, or dismiss it for being unoriginal and a "rip-off". So it being great depends entirely if you feel, on a personal level, that copying good characters from another show lets them stay as 'good characters' or just makes them unoriginal and 'over done'. Not unlike if it's your first mecha show and you're new to the tropes and norms VS your 100th mecha show where you can see things coming from a mile away. Some people will write that mecha off as 'predictable' and 'cliche', while other will use 'a return to tradition' and 'classic'.

Unlike, say, video games, shows have very little things that are objective to them. With games, you can point out bad controls, game-breaking glitches or bugs, balance issue, slowdown and poor optimization, bad texture popping and other things that are factually evident. With anime, though? Not really. I guess if the show is only half-finished and still has black and white pre-production sketches, or is cancelled 6 episodes in with no ending, you can mark it for that, but otherwise it's going to boil down to if the person who reviews it likes action/romance/mecha/ecchi shows or not, and how they feel about certain things.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Though that is also subjective. Madoka was hailed as great despite just copying things from Kamen Rider Ryuki.

While Kamen Rider Ryuki was a big influence, it wasn't the only influence. And it doesn't change the fact that the characters in PMMM are still very strongly-written. Sayaka's arc, Madoka's growth, Homura's burden, all are not ground-breakingly new but were impressively written nonetheless.

RahXephon is a show that borrows from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Yet I don't hold the fact that I watched NGE first against RahXephon, instead I appreciate how much more refined RahXephon is. Even if I had seen Kamen Rider Ryuki before PMMM, that wouldn't change just how exceptional the writing and character development in PMMM is.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm sorry that Horizon requires you to actually apply your brain to it. Sure, information from the novels can flesh out and add more depth to things, but the show as it exists tells its story coherently, assuming you are willing to give it the effort it deserves.

And in that bold quote lies the problem: I didn't find that it deserved the effort.

Don't get me wrong: I didn't find Horizon to be awful, either. Just a mediocre-quality show whose creators seemed more interested in jamming as many cool things as they possibly could into a series than in telling a coherent, smoothly-flowing story.

Splitter wrote:
If Sword Art Online can become a gateway anime and help give rise to another generation of otaku, that's fantastic. We need more of them because the genre for the last few years has been dramatically niche. It is also good that there is now an anime so incredibly divisive and sparking so much conversation. It would just be nice if the fanboys would listen to the complaints of those critical of the series and vice-versa. You're all right that this anime harbors conversation, but if you've ever seen the conversation, you know that those 100-page threads can be summed up like this:

Viewer #1: "SAO is the best anime ever!"
Viewer #2: "LOL SAO sucks!"
Viewer #1: "YOU SUCK!"
Viewer #2: "NO U!"

Wow, you so haven't read the series thread in our Anime forum, have you? We're closing in on 100 pages and there's none of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8