• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Verizon Drops Funimation Channel from FiOS Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Well this a bummer. I didn't watch the channel nearly as much as I would have liked, though I did catch the odd show or two on there a couple of years ago. As someone else mentioned, one of the main problems for me was that it was SD-only, and I'm generally not in the habit of browsing that far down on the channel guide. It was always nice to know that it was there, though.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Tonybaloney wrote:
That is a real shame. Funimation is about the only channel I watch besides CNN/Fox. Now I have to go back to Adult Swim I guess.

Sigh.

They have a lot of good shows but I have Cox so I never had the channel to even watch it. I wonder what "very low" really means anyway, to a cable company

When you're running 1000+ channels at once and single ONE out as having "very low" viewership, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that that does in fact mean VERY low.

I wouldn't be surprised if viewership was regularly in the hundreds or less.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
People still watch TV on their anime? Wink

I am the 1%. >.>;

I absolutely HATE watching shows on my computer, legal or illegal. Sometimes I plug into the HDMI cable for specific things, other than that, no.

I don't live in the stone ages, but sensitivity from being in front of the computer so long kind of gets to me.

I hear a lot of people complain that anime isn't shown on TV enough. If a majority isn't supporting it, then what can you do?

They premiere a lot of shows that just came out on DVD, so it was easy of me to watch quite a bit of shows or get into the old ones that I didn't get to see before. And if I missed an episode, I could watch it in a day or two. So, I guess it worked for some people and not others.

potatochobit wrote:
nght5tlkr wrote:
I was *just* considering the switch to FiOS, but I guess there's no need to now...

Rolling Eyes
you were planning to swtich to fios to watch anime?
I don't get it, man. why would you not swtich to fios for the amazing fast fiber optic network?

LOL.

Because their WIfi sucks.

Originally I was looking to cancel them to get a service that was more accessible to that, but now that Funi is being canceled, then I can just switch and get more benefits/service with their competition.
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
nght5tlkr wrote:
I was *just* considering the switch to FiOS, but I guess there's no need to now...

Rolling Eyes
you were planning to swtich to fios to watch anime?
I don't get it, man. why would you not swtich to fios for the amazing fast fiber optic network?

Well, I already have access to a similar internet speed.
On the TV end, both providers are nearly identical albeit the few Asian channels that this provider has/had over Verizon are slowly being removed. Not to mention Verizon has/had the FUNi channel.

So yes, I was planning to switch to FiOS because of anime and the lack of Asian programming on my current provider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
p00pman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Funimation was always a good way to scope out the good anime that would be on tv and watch the whole series later. either way, im very pissed..... first mythbusters now this?!?! next is cartoon network, then it'll be back to books i guess for me
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I have FIOS but not the TV package, I don't see the point of cable when I can buy what I want ala carte via amazon, crunchyroll and NHL Center Ice for less money.
ti9999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Fios is dropping the channel due to "low viewership". We've got two weeks. Let's show them what we think of that. Whenever you aren't going to be watching anything else, leave your Fios box on and tuned into funimation channel. Leave it on overnight, when you're at work, when you're playing video games, whenever you can. If everybody who loves Funimation Channel does this for the next two weeks, it'll speak so much louder than simply calling them and voicing our opinions. I call it "OPERATION: SAVE FUNIMATION." Show Fios you mean what you say! Tune in and show them that the viewership is far from low.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Because their WIfi sucks.

Originally I was looking to cancel them to get a service that was more accessible to that, but now that Funi is being canceled, then I can just switch and get more benefits/service with their competition.

Huh???

Get another wifi access point if you have a problem with the range on theirs. Honestly I've checked the range on it and theirs isn't substantially worse than anything standard. I suppose it's not 802.11 N 300 MBPS but you can get one of those at newegg for 50$...

It's weird to base your service on how good the router is.. I've never heard of such a thing, and most of the companies I've used didn't even offer Wifi routers.

I moved recently. We were using cable before and we thought it was decent to get a ping against google's servers of under 50 with 30 down/5 up. I now get a ping under 10 with similar downstream but significantly better upstream. The other providers in this area aren't even close in terms of all-around features. You should also compare their customer satisfaction to the cable providers. They are much better. I could tell this from everyone I talked to personally about it also. I haven't met one person who thought switching away from them was a good idea and some have done it.

I just think you are crazy for basing your decision on their access point/router (or even the Funimation channel, for that matter).
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Xanas,

I'm not sure that's what she's talking about, but the terminology she's using definitely led me to the same observation as you.

Not using FIOS here because while it's really nice, the last mile issue kills it for me and (at least where I live), they had some major issues with saturation.

They're actually slower for me than their competitors when it comes to data transfer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4