• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can an american become an anime artist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
It's cool to disagree and debate if you find fault in one's posts/opinions, but to go as far as calling people names and further belittle is a bit too much don't ya think?
Wink
Truth be known that there is plenty of good Western animation. I.E. Disney,Bakshi,Marvel/Sunbow etc.

And to be honest Anime caters more to my liking (as i have explained why in previous posts) but that's just my preference.

Anyway i'll leave you guys/gals to your "regularly scheduled "flaming. Cool
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
garbage when you compare it to anime. Hell I love the Simpsons. but in general American cartoons aren't as good when you compare them to Japenese anime

Garbage like...animation-wise? Story-wise...what? Again you're just spouting "I like this and I don't like this...why? Because I just do."
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
garbage when you compare it to anime. Hell I love the Simpsons. but in general American cartoons aren't as good when you compare them to Japenese anime

This is sad, really sad. You're confused with yourself in all your posts. You say American cartoons are garbage, but you still like them. You think Anime is good, but think some of them are garbage also. You're so ignorant that you can't create a choice. I can see that you love Anime, but I don't think you think American is actually garbage. Either state what you really think, or sleep on it/think about/or something like that because all your doing is creating a pointless, endless battle.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
... Or how about cult cartoons like The Tick,South Park,Family Guy and have you never watched The Simpsons.(Admittedly its rubbish now by it was excellent in its prime).

The Simpsons? Rubbish now? Blasphemy!

Heh. Well, it still really amuses me. It's pretty funny and such, and it seems to be the only currently long running american cartoon which has kept with the times, without losing it's charm and becoming crap.

The Tick? That's pulling out of the hat. Last I remember, the Tick was an enjoyible, but extremely short lived cartoon. =P

And I never saw the live action series. =P

Sorry about the steer away from the topic =P.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:

Any reason why you don't like the Simpsons? Shall I give you my reason to help you out?

Like, the only reason I don't watch The Simpsons anymore is because the stories seem to be rehashed every season? And their joke making process has become really lame? They don't seem to be current in their satire? Why won't Lisa grow up into jailbait? Is this helping you?
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
didn't i say I loved the Simpsons?
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I basically going to ignore God of evil from now on. Obviously he can't see when I said "garbage when compared amercan cartoons" hell....I pointed this out in the beginning.

and when did I say japanese anime was garbage?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
1.you did question my competency with this "And as I said earlier, all you're doing is making the same ignorant generalisation " "An extremely ignorant one..." yes. you are confused. just take a look at your own writing.

........you're kidding, right?

Nagi wrote:
I never questioned your competency with anime, moron. Just Western animation.

For the last time, learn to read the written English language!

Teknoman blade wrote:
2. opnions aren't wrong. they can only be agreed with or disagreed with. obviously you disagree with mine which is fine. but I don't go around saying yours is right.

Again your poor grasp of reading fails you. I never said I was 'right,' and I believe I even mentioned once or twice that you have a right to your opinion. I'm just saying that you express your view of Western animation like a blithering, elitist jackass, and your sweeping, audacious generalisations are absolutely laughable.

Teknoman blade wrote:
3. you seem to be wondering where my justification for this opinion is coming from......again.
If you remmeber I said I've seen many american cartoons for a long time. And I've seen anime. jeez......How much more justification do you want. I've seen one and seen the other and I've made my judgemenet already. to me anime is superior

Hey, if you prefer anime, that's perfectly fine. But try backing up your "those awful amerukuns cant maek cartuns hurhur!" blanket statements with reasons why you feel that way.

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
The Simpsons? Rubbish now? Blasphemy!

Heh. Well, it still really amuses me. It's pretty funny and such, and it seems to be the only currently long running american cartoon which has kept with the times, without losing it's charm and becoming crap.

Agreed that it's managed to remain fresh & funny after about fifteen years on the air. And I'm not saying I dislike it now, but the latest season has been something of a letdown from previous ones. Pieman just doesn't have the same comedic punch as Mr. Plow or Max Power. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:

You didn't say [japanese]anime was garbage...you did say:
Quote:

All of the garbage that I was talking about pokemon and dbz was to prove that I wasn't ignorant about cartoons.

...which was probably misread as you saying "Pokemon and DBZ are garbage." After re-reading it, you meant it like "talking trash" not actually calling the stuff garbage.
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
1. I was responding to Godaistudios's arrogant claim that there are such things as wrong opinions.

2. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have said the reasons why I feel this way. and I had to generalize about so many cartoons. And if you recall I already pointed out 2 shows. and gave a brief reason why i hate that particular one. ....and I'm the one that doesn't understand written english (Ha)

and for the record I am american and american cartoons are garbage when compared to anime. If you we're to lay out a rating of american cartoons on a bell curve yes some would be at one end, others at the other end, and some in the middle, but on the whole thay can't stand up to a society's cartoons that views anime as an art form
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, based on the wonderful logic I have learned from you, I am now happy to say that I agree with you! Anime like Ninja Resseurection, Tekken, and Beyblade/Pokemon *excuse me if people like these shows* are sooooooooo much superior in animation and story then Heavy Metal, Batman Beyond, most animated comic shows, and all Fox and Disney animated movies! THANK YOU FOR OPENING UP MY EYES!

Do us all a favor, learn to debate and back up your claims, then come back and post in this thread.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
1. I was responding to Godaistudios's arrogant claim that there are such things as wrong opinions.

2. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have said the reasons why I feel this way. and I had to generalize about so many cartoons. And if you recall I already pointed out 2 shows. and gave a brief reason why i hate that particular one. ....and I'm the one that doesn't understand written english (Ha)

Well, I did have a typo... it should have read thusly:

Well, in all fairness, in the basest of definitions, there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. However it is possible to have an ill-informed and poorly formulated one.

My comments about you being proven a fool by opening up your mouth still stand though. As far as not being able to understand written English? You should have been able to read though my typo if you had simply looked at the context of what I said. Since there was a however statement in there, it should have been obvious I was making a contrast and as such should have been obvious. Perhaps you are able to read, but lack the ability to comprehend written English. After all, I'm sure that most of the other people who read the posts were clearly able to understand the context of my statement. Why couldn't you?

Like you said, there aren't wrong opnions, but if you want to back up your opinions with a bunch of crap, we will respond heavily with our own opinions as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
I basically going to ignore God of evil from now on. Obviously he can't see when I said "garbage when compared amercan cartoons" hell....I pointed this out in the beginning.

Myself wrote:
You think Anime is good, but think some of them are garbage also.

And your just ranting and this is getting WAY off topic.
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
No offense but everyone, especially Nagisa, Teknoman blade, llittlegreenwolf and others, you are all taking this completely off topic! Lets refocus, end this flaming/pointless debate and try to give some constructive comments on topic.

Now to answer nervheadquarters original questions... I think an American can become an anime [influenced] artist, but it depends on how you -define- a anime artist. Are you referring to anime influence artwork, working in anime as in the animation production houses in Japan, Americans who do animated shorts with anime themes, or something else entirely?

If you are in the USA, others have asked about this in the past and as someone traditionally trained in animation, I suggest reading my replies to the same question.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=67563&highlight=#67563

I hope that helps and remember take a lot of life, animal drawing and understand physics and how it impacts objects and people. Keep us updated and good luck!
TessaTestarossa

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
Ooh. If I start a flaming war I can dramatically increase my number of posts can't I? Razz

Well, I'm not really 100% percent sure about this, but isn't anime a japanese-derived-from-english-word designated to mean the animation that is produced "locally" in Japan.

So technically, if I draw something that looks like rei ayanami and published it, it would be called a comic book instead of manga, and if I do an animation it would be called a cartoon instead of anime?

Well, I see many anime-influenced drawings in Asia, especially in Chinese Games (not the translated American games), but I don't think they qualify as Anime. Am I wrong?

Anyway, just an observation, I think the "flaming war" seems to be quite parallel. I mean, they don't seem to cross, do they?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5