• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
just saw the episode, it is now subbed lol. it was an awesome show i really liked it, cant wait to see the next episode and black star
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the episode myself. I really don't like this group. They didn't bother to sub the OP and ED, the subs they used were hard to read, and the translation was iffy. I'll be watching this again once the unedited version is (hopefully better) subbed. If the episodes are edited due to fan service more so than violence, I'll probably stick with the edited versions, if at all possible. I'm not a fan service guy. Anime smile + sweatdrop I can tolerate it to a degree, but it still bugs me nonetheless.

Anyway, I still thought the first episode was great (Maka's dad .... Laughing) and I can see why people don't like Maka's VA. I haven't read the manga and yet even I don't like her voice. I do like Soul's VA though. I thought it fit perfectly.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I remember one blogger mentioning it reminded him of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" so I guess that makes it a good comparison to a certain extent.

Funny that you say that, my brother called it the "Tim Burton anime." The art style rocks and the animation in the episode was top-notch. I hope it remains consistent throughout the series. I can't wait for the next episode. I'm in for the full 51-episode ride after seeing the first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, saw the subbed version was out today. Unfortunately all I could find was an H264 version, which I can't play on this crappy monitor. Sad Luckily for me though I kind of got bombarded by a few certain people who know who they are Wink into finding out more about veoh, so it looks like I've got hope just yet! Very Happy Should probably see the episode sometime latter today.

Also like JG, I'd like to know myself if the uncut version is for fanservice or violence. If it's for fanservice AT ALL, I won't be watching that version.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Uncut = exactly the same. I have no idea why they even showed two versions since I can think of maybe 2-3 chapters with stuff that might need the uncut version.. and those 2-3 are counting the first episode!
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The sub circulating right now is supposedly pretty poor in quality. You might want to wait ^^

On one hand, I'm glad they didn't add more fanservice to the late show, but it's a let-down there were no changes.

Then again, maybe TV Tokyo chickened out Laughing
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I remember one blogger mentioning it reminded him of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" so I guess that makes it a good comparison to a certain extent. It definitely worth the look just for the visuals. Let's see how it fares for the next 50 episodes!

I really hope that they can keep up with the amazing visual style of the first episode throughout the next 50. It really did remind me of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" which is just awesome. I've never read the manga and I jumped into the first episode with only the trailer to give me an idea what to expect and now I can't wait to see a US release. It's good to know that the spoiler[soul collecting] is only the beginning because it seemed like something that would get old really fast.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode, although not as much as anticipated. I enjoy the art style, although not so much the Tim Burton comparison since Nightmare Before Christmas literally gave me such a deep scar in my childhood that elements of it still enter into my nightmares. My question is, if spoiler[death scythe is Maka's dad, does that mean he got it on with Maka's mom, or is it just figurative? I mean, he's really a weapon... Shocked ]. I liked Maka's character, although the episode was a little too silly for me. One thing that kind of irked was Soul's aim at "being a cool man." Please. I don't know why they put that in there-- if it was for humor it wasn't funny. If it was for character development, well, Soul is going to be pretty boring if he continues along that one-dimensional route. It did have very slick action, cool art, good music, and a nice spoiler[moment when the relationship between Maka and Soul was reaffirmed. It was also cool/creepy every time Soul ate a soul.]
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
My question is, if spoiler[death scythe is Maka's dad, does that mean he got it on with Maka's mom, or is it just figurative? I mean, he's really a weapon... Shocked ].

You might as well just consider all the weapons to be humans. The manga has never suggested that there's anything different about them other than the fact that they can transform into weapons.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, got done with the first episode myself. So far, I have to say I'm really liking it. I thought it was very inventive and imaginative, and you've just gotta love the art style! Cool (Tim Burton anime, ha ha! Laughing ) I could see in some areas (mostly art style) how it remided me a little bit of Bleach, but other than that, it was it's own thing.

I lol-ed a lot at all the comedy as well, it was like FLCL/Gurren Laggan styled comedy, it was great! I also like the idea of a spunky female shounen hero to, you never really get to see that kind of shounen hero as a female that much. Although I certainly agree about not liking her voice though. It fit's the way Maka looks real well, it just really doesn't seem to fit personality-wise is all.

Liked the OP and ED quite a bit as well, but I think I liked the ED WAY better though (Stance Punks = Cool ). Although I certainly agree with JG, I really didn't like the subbing group that did it, for pretty much the same reasons. Always gotta have my song lyric translations! Evil or Very Mad

Then there of course was the issue of some of the fanservice. Basically what I did, since it was veoh I was watching it on, I just scrolled it down during that part to the point where I could still read the subtitles and still know what was going on without actually seeing it happen, so it was all good. Then I just scrolled back up when I knew she had clothes on, and also when it went outside of the building. I think what I'll do in the future with torrents is just click out of fullscreen and pause, then move the player up to the top of the screen in the same manner, or something like that anyways.

Anyways, great episode. Smile
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Finally saw it with decent subs

good start and good OP (not so fond of the ED; the guy sounds like his voice is about to crack 90% of the song)

I will definitely continue this one
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Uncut = exactly the same.

Well it's not exactly the same. It does have 1:34min of differences (ecchi adverts, a couple more lines from Shinigami-sama, and a different episode preview) Wink
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
Just saw the first episode, very nice. The animation quality seems top notch, great opening. Fun action elements. The humor is a bit played out, all the old pervert/flat chest/daughter-issues jokes get trotted out, but I can set that aside. I'm definitely on board for ep 2.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty awesome. It was just an introduction episode, but the animation was spectacular, the art style was great, and it was damn fun. Maka and Blair for the win. I just hope the "small tits" and the doting father stuff gets dropped quick because its not very funny and will quickly become more annoying than Ed's "I'm not short dammit!" routine.

The OP's music was decent but the visuals were great. The ED music was so-so but the visuals were good.

Overall, it was great. The best first episode of the new season so far and I'm not expecting anything else to surpass it. I had moderately high expectations for this and it more than met them.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Prediction: "Soul Eater" is the anime of 2008!

This is a show that has everything I look for in a series: great action, hilarious gags and one-liners, and lovable characters. Maka & Soul Eater will be one of the most-talked about partners this year!

HitokiriShadow wrote:
The OP's music was decent but the visuals were great. The ED music was so-so but the visuals were good.

I'm not a big T.M.Revolution fan, but the OP songs fits perfectly. As for the ED: I'm a hardcore Stance Punks fan, and will always say they are the greatest punk band out there. I actually started singing along to "I Wanna Be," and I've never done that for any other series theme song.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I saw the first episode. I'm sure just about everyone else has mentioned this, but the artstyle is the most noticeable aspect of this show. And the best. It's nice to finally see something different visually in the anime world. Let's hope the animation quality can stay consistent cause it was damn good. It wasn't without its flaws though. I thought the humor was cliched and poorly placed. I also thought the fanservice was poorly handled. But we'll see how it goes from here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 26