• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But then, wouldn't it be funny if she tried to give him a handjob with that crazy robot grip strength and busted his dick? lol
I think that was a joke, but this honestly was my make-or-break moment for Robot Wife, and I thought the exact same thing. 20 minutes of nonstop cringe and pity, but if it was willing to lean all the way into the available humor, I'd stick around.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Quote:
But then, wouldn't it be funny if she tried to give him a handjob with that crazy robot grip strength and busted his dick? lol
I think that was a joke, but this honestly was my make-or-break moment for Robot Wife, and I thought the exact same thing. 20 minutes of nonstop cringe and pity, but if it was willing to lean all the way into the available humor, I'd stick around.

It occurred to me during the futon scene, when my husband yelled in disgust, "Is she going to give him a handjob??" But since she'd hurt him every time she grabbed him, well...
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Suicide Squad ISEKAI 1-3: Solid, consistently pretty, fairly fluid popcorn flick that doesn't really have any major weak point with me (I am assuming it won't be going anywhere major or meaningful with the colonizing The Wall is doing, but I'd be happy to be proven even somewhat wrong). Spent time in worse ways.

My Wife Has No Emotions: This is much worse ways.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
But since she'd hurt him every time she grabbed him, well...

spoiler[In the first 53 chapters of the manga plus assorted manga volume bonus content published so far, Mina hasn't done *that* although the author has recently mulled having a chapter like that on his Twitter (I refuse to call it X).]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
But since she'd hurt him every time she grabbed him, well...

spoiler[In the first 53 chapters of the manga plus assorted manga volume bonus content published so far, Mina hasn't done *that* although the author has recently mulled having a chapter like that on his Twitter (I refuse to call it X).]

So it's ANOTHER manga about a married couple that doesn't bang? Boooooriiiiiiiiiiiing
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:23 pm Reply with quote

So it's ANOTHER manga about a married couple that doesn't bang? Boooooriiiiiiiiiiiing

To be fair, does Mina have the equipment for that?, and as seen with her grip strength, is it safe for her to do so even with her hands or mouth?. Can she even open her mouth? All her dialogue this episode was delivered without any mouth movement from her. Would her mouth feel good or is it a bunch of metal and other materials not prepared for oral sex? She's supposed to be only for cooking and other chores and not sex, so I doubt she's equipped for that
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Mina doesn't have a mouth (beyond the sculpted lips), just a speaker somewhere behind her faceplate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought Persona 3 already figured out how to have metaphorical sex with your robot who isn't equipped for the real thing.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
1) I am a huge comics fan and 2) I think anime adaptations of Western comics tend to suck. Everything from Marvel Future Avengers and X-Men to Batman Ninja and Witchblade has been disappointing. The only anime I've seen that gets Western superheroes right is the lowest budget of them all: DC Super Heroes vs. Eagle Talon. The rest have either a shallow understanding (or a fundamental misunderstanding) of the characters they portray.

Any opinions on Spider-Man: Octo-Girl? It'd be neat to get an anime of that someday.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:22 am Reply with quote
My Wife Has No Emotion has a rough start and is only rougher in the manga as the author used to do loli hentai and a certain "bad feel" uncanniness carries over. It also began on Pixiv so the art looks cheap and amateurish for quite some time. I am willing to break a lance for where the manga goes down the line BUT you need to wade through 2 to 3 below-average at best volumes to get there and that will be half the show! Maybe more as the pilot an extended adaptation of only 33 pages but it does improve on them, I will say that. It´s beyond unlikely that Tezuka Productions of all people will get more funded so the story will stop right as it starts going somewhere. This entire adaptation is a Catch-22.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sjk9000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:38 am Reply with quote
You know, I don't even necessarily think My Wife Has No Emotion is a good story. It's very messy and I think it fails more than succeeds at executing its ideas. But it does have ideas. It attempts, however inexpertly, to tackle philosophical questions of personhood and relationships. So it's a little annoying to see it get written off as shallow wish fulfillment pretty much across the board.

Of course, none of what I'm talking about comes across in the first episode. So I can't really blame anyone for writing it off. But my unjustified resentment remains.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:12 am Reply with quote
Robot Wife missed the mark for me. Not terrible, so I'll probably give it another episode or two, but it wasn't a great first showing. The MC comes off as a bit sad/pitiable :/ Though it is believable that someone in that situation would fall for their only human-like companionship.
The non-moving mouth comes off as uncanny valley to me though. Personally I think I'd rather have a more robot face if the mouth can't move.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:42 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

The non-moving mouth comes off as uncanny valley to me though. Personally I think I'd rather have a more robot face if the mouth can't move.

But hey, it saves time & energy (and budget) because there's no need to animate lip flaps! Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:13 am Reply with quote
Because I am a glutton for punishment, I did give Knights of the Round of Golf a look-see, despite hating golf and just coming off of Tonbo, which turned out to be watchable if a bit too granular about the mechanics of the game. I just picked a spot at random to start, since there were complaints about the boy's voice and I thought I'd check that first. He was playing street ball with his friends and it wasn't just Gawain speaking. All of them set my teeth on edge so hard, I didn't last two minutes. Which I'm kinda glad about, since it means I won't waste another season on golf. I really hate golf.

I know I watched The Strongest Fish Out of Water, but I have to really concentrate to remember what it was about. All I can recall is thinking it was a pretty lame way for his secret to be found out. Even before we knew he wasn't alone, it seemed stupidly risky to remove his mask and for no apparent reason, unless it's really uncomfortable or something. I have no idea how packed this season's going to be, so despite its generic and unmemorable start, for the moment it gets a tentative stay of execution.

It took me awhile to place what was pinging my deja vu, until I finally recognized Akira Amano's original character designs for Psychopath Squad Isekei. Clayface especially looks like he escaped from First Inspector. Anyway, though I'm not a DC fangirl by any means, this still seems engaging enough to stick with.

Rebecca re My Stepford Wife-bot wrote:
there's a decent chance that she was never intended to be a housekeeping bot in the first place. In fact, it would make sense if she wasn't, because otherwise someone made the terrible decision to create a housekeeping robot that's too short to reach the counter and stove.

So much this! The whole episode I kept thinking that if I were to design a robot for housework, I'd make it tall enough to work at a standard height counter without a stool. I couldn't even get past that enough to consider that there might be a reason it wasn't. Smile The rest of the time I was just waiting for something to happen or for it to be over. Siri, delete this from my playlist.
MMOSimca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:17 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
For my part I think the ANN team do genuinely try, because there's been cases where something they had kinda written off as gonna be shit ended up being pretty good and they admitted it.

Gushing Over Magical Girls was a good example of this. The guy reviewing it (I forget who) gave it some humorous rating in the preview that wasn't even a number to signify how bad it was. He mentioned in one of the early episode reviews that he didn't want to give the episode anything above a 3 or he'd be mocked forever about it. But by the end of the series, he'd given an episode a 4.5/5.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7