• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Announces New Dragon Ball Daima Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll bet the plot of this new series will be about Goku and his friends figuring out why they all turned into kids and who was behind it.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Megax36 wrote:
I doubt we will ever see Dragonball get as dark as it did in the 90's. Everyone has become more sensitive to the violence that is portrayed in media in the modern era. This isn't just anime either, compare the original Terminator movie to the later entries in the franchise, and you can see a night and day difference in the amount of violence that is depicted.

There will always be a few exceptions (Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan), but don't expect most Shonen based anime's to get as dark as they did back in the 00's and before.

More recent manga/anime like Hell's Paradise and JJK similarly handle material that can be considered more adult. Hell, My Hero Academia, despite its 'brighter' presentation and art style has an entire mini-arc detailing the origins of a villian, who was abused to such an extent at home he ends up accidentally murdering his whole family (and pup!), then he was ignored by a society supposed to help him, and was rescued by a villian who proceeded to dress him in the body parts of his DEAD family. How are you defining "dark" here?

Mild take: Krillin exploding on Namek carried less emotional weight and was far less "dark" then Neiji dying in Naruto. Why? Krilin died before and did anyone seriously think Goku and company weren't going to get the Dragon Balls and wish back everyone? At least Neiji STAYED dead (and his death by Obito was a cold calculated attempt to shatter Naruto's will in a public display of psychological torture...is that not dark?)

Medium take: Black Clover is darker than DBZ.

Hot take: I have almost zero interest in this new show. If it adapted more of the Super manga, that would be a different story.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:58 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Ugh. Looks like Dragon Ball Muppet Babies.

People forget that Toei Animation did the first couple of seasons of Muppet Babies. So see this as going back to their roots Laughing
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Megax36 wrote:
I doubt we will ever see Dragonball get as dark as it did in the 90's.

The Future Trunks Saga of DB Super was more than dark enough. The villain spoiler[ succeeds in destroying an entire reality, and this is never undone.]

But honestly I think Toriyama just isn't interested in going that dark anymore, for the most part. Aside from the Trunks arc, DB Super had a generally lighter tone than Z, and that looks like it will continue into Daima. If you look at the whole body of Toriyama's work outside of Dragon Ball, almost all his stuff has a humorous or absurdist bent to it, even the more actiony works like Sandland. I think that's just the vibe he's most comfortable with. The dark parts of Dragon Ball are the exception more than the rule.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:21 am Reply with quote
Specifically, I think it was Toei that made DBZ as dark as it was. Toriyama wasn’t involved with the extremely dark (by Dragon Ball standards) Bardock special, although he later praised it. Then it was retconned by the decidedly less dramatic backstory in Super: Broly. Supposedly Battle of Gods was supposed to be considerably darker than it was until Toriyama came on board.

Honestly, I think a lot of what attracted me to DBZ came from Toei, and I feel the same about Sailor Moon (I definitely prefer the first 3 seasons of the original anime to Takeuchi’s original manga).

I also think censorship standards have changed in Japan in regards to what’s acceptable in Shonen anime. Raditz and Goku’s bloody death at the beginning of DBZ could never happen now (it was changed to a big burn in Kai, even in its unedited version). I think shows like Attack on Titan are for a somewhat older audience than DB Super, but I could be wrong.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:51 am Reply with quote
Just by reading the synopsis this is giving GT flashbacks and is already turning me off from watching it.

Like i get i need to try it and it might turn out good but cmon, this is the plot your trying again? Call me a pessimistic but this is not really speaking to me. Sad
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:26 am Reply with quote
Doubling down on the worst idea GT had is a wild choice. Nice visuals though. Expect Daima to get more hate than GT if it will be a long-form project.
Muppet Babies, we make our dreams come true
Muppet Babies, we'll do the same for you

The Dragon Ball Magic leak was real. Huh. De-aging characters in their 40s and 50s to make the IP palatable again for kids and young teens ain´t it. Neither is going the Multiverse route as that´s what this looks like. Make a show about Goten exploring the world or universe and meeting all new people, so newcomers and fans from the 80s and 90s are about on the same level of info. Everyone losing their Ki is also an idea to de-escalate. Maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:52 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Mild take: Krillian exploding on Namik carried less emotional weight and was far less "dark" than Neiji dying in Naruto.

Less dark?

Krillin exploded, Neiji got impaled with a thorn how is being blown up to nothingness less violent or brutal than an a rather tame impalement ?

Not to mention Neiji’s death probably would’ve had more weight if not for at least 3 problems.

1. The fakeout in the Sasuke Retrieval Arc

2. Him being a stronger character Krillin was a notable supporting character who was apart of Goku’s inner circle Neji wasn’t as important to Naruto.

3. His death coming two arcs after the Pain Arc which had the deaths/apparent deaths of numerous major characters. And then you had him just randomly dying out all the characters from the beginning of the series.

Connor Dino wrote:
(and his death by Obito was a cold calculated attempt to shatter Naruto's will in a public display of psychological torture

Probably would’ve been nice if there hadn’t been numerous other attempts prior to do that. That had various degrees of effect. And Naruto mostly getting over it like every other attempt to do that,

- Pain seriously injures Hinata, get mad beat ass forgive the guy who did it.
- Kabuto dismisses Naruto’s goals and ambitions ignores him despite Kabuto having him at his mercy beats Kabuto.
- Orochimaru reminds Naruto that he pushed Sasuke into defecting from the village four tails mode rampage.
- Haku almost kills Sasuke Naruto goes one tail mode beats ass

Like if we want to single out DBZ for going to the well a few too many times with certain elements that’s fine but even Naruto wasn’t above recycling stuff.

residentgrigo wrote:
Doubling down on the worst idea GT had is a wild choice.

Deaging Goku wasn’t the worst idea GT had that would’ve been not undoing it after the first arc, Pan being a main character, and the BS circumstances that led to Piccolo having to sacrifice himself….and then pulling the same routine Goku pulled ala past Cell Saga except this one stuck.

residentgrigo wrote:
Make a show about Goten exploring the world or universe and meeting all new people, so newcomers and fans from the 80s and 90s are about on the same level of info.

Why would you take the least important and probably the least popular character in the series and make a spin-off involving him?
Xeogran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love GT and it looks like this series will just be great too. Making Goku into a kid was a great idea back then, and it's gonna be fun here as well. Dragon Ball is meant to be adventurous.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Pan being a main character,

Which there was nothing wrong with, as it's normal for next generation characters to carry the torch. Pan was a fun addition to the cast, and you can bet she will become a main character again in a few years after this series.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:28 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Toriyama wasn’t involved with the extremely dark (by Dragon Ball standards) Bardock special, although he later praised it. Then it was retconned by the decidedly less dramatic backstory in Super: Broly.

A backstory that was introduced in Dragon Ball Minus which wasn't well-liked when it came out in 2014.
Megax36

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
@Connor Dino

My last sentence stated that there would always be exceptions, and I specifically mentioned Demon Slayer and AoT as two examples of such exceptions, this is not an all inclusive list! Furthermore, you mentioned a scene in Naruto... which is a series that started in the 00's as I had described?! Lastly, simply showing gory scenes with lots of blood splatter does not automatically categorize something as dark. "Dark" has more to do with the emotional context that a scene depicts, such as Casca getting raped by Griffith (Berserk), or the chimera ants tearing the hunters to shreds and toying with their dead corpses afterwards before devouring them (Hunter x Hunter).

Regarding DBZ, you might be unaware, but DBZ was originally planned to end after the Frieza saga. Toriyama stated that the story was supposed to end with Goku achieving his goal of becoming the strongest fighter in the universe. Up until the end of the Namek saga, it was understood that a person could only be revived by the dragon once, and Kuririn had already been revived once in the original series. Things only ended up turning out differently because Toei wanted him to keep making new material since the show was such a cash cow. Hence the reason why Dende didn't state that Porunga could revive a person more than once, until the end of the Namek arc. So no, it was not a given that Kuririn would be brought back to life, which made his death all the more impactful.

[EDIT: You don't need to quote the entire post to reply, and you don't need to insult his reading ability. Please desist from insisting he can't read and that he's a bigot for questioning your definition of dark. Calmly counter his argument with logic and don't get so worked up.-TK]
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This is a time I am glad I am not a DB fan, I would be pissed off.

The amount of nonsense and disregarding of established cannon in a 3 mins teaser its over the charts.

I really hope they didn't used the DBs for this and they didn't get younger but shorter, because the DBs are not supposed to work on characters above Napa's power level and Yamcha got his scars as an adult.

If they do use the DBs then I am gonna ask from now on why don't they use them on every villain they encounter.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Moro and Granolah are just standing in the corner, waiting for their turn to be animated.

Yeah, I'm wondering what the deal is there. I guess we still don't know if this is just its own thing as more of a "what-if" story, but it's just odd to me that they would go with this rather than anything that is between Broly and Superhero.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
@Minos_Kurumada

What even is canon for Dragon Ball at this point? You have multiple movies, anime, and manga going that all wildly different from one another in both timeline and events. Even going off the original three anime, the movies never made any sense canonically. Dragonball fans are used to disregarding of canon.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
Thats assuming its even a tv-series. If this is the show that was hinted at before its gonna be a webseries which i don't think will run for that long.

The rumor stated it would be a streaming only show with around 13 to 16 episodes. The trailer mostly had all sans a few details left like everyone turning into kids instead of just Goku & Vegeta. Some of my brother's friends thought it was a movie lol! Did they forget Super Hero came out last year? We've gotten a film since Super's anime ending every two years and it's way too soon for another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5