• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Other than being well animated (and it definitely was), I don't get the love for Chainsaw Man. I think there is a recency bias, cause there was a slew of what I would consider better overall anime. SpyxFamily, Mob Psycho, Golden K etc. Definitely not pushing the same feeling as CM and it's revelry in the brutal, but I think if you can see beyond that, you get a far more interesting show that doesn't rely on shocking your brain. It's fine. But if I'm trying to be objective I don't think it's amazing. There's always a huge disconnect with the gore filled shows when they aren't played completely seriously. I wasn't in love with the manga either, so maybe I'm just not that interested.

In terms of visually appealing, we had shows like AoT or DS (which is my personal fav given my love of the setting/fairytale style - but i realize im being very subjective).

EDIT: Whoops, forget most of my criticism - I just realized this was fall only. I still maintain even in this season I liked other shows better than CM, but it's understandably a closer discussion.

Last edited by ZiharkXVI on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
db999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Technically Chainsaw Man is the best, but I want to show love to a lesser-known series

Best Romantic Killer, I don’t think anybody has mentioned this series in the article or in this thread, which is a shame cause it’s one of the best romantic comedy shows. People probably let it pass them by because it’s on Netflix, and Netflix Original Anime have been really hit or miss, but this one is a hit. It playfully lampoons the reverse harem series, not to mention all of the characters are really fun and it has a good dramatic turn in the last episodes that was set up from the beginning so it doesn’t feel out of place. I implore you to watch the show if you like either reverse harem stories, or romantic comedies in general it's fantactic

Runner Up G-Witch. I really enjoy how good the show is paced with regard to reveals and characterization. The show doesn’t waste time, spoiler[such as when The Ariel is revealed as a banned Gundam in episode 1, and immediately at the beginning of episode two, the corporate government confiscates it and puts Suletta in jail for Pilotting an illegal machine instead of dragging that out for a few episodes to establish the school, or when Guel gets disowned by his Father after losing 3 duels instead of him continuing to be the head of the house in school which another lesser show would do.] I will admit that the pacing started to drag a bit around episode 8, but it picked up again with the last episode can't wait for cour 2, I hope we get a full 50 or so episode series and it's not just 26 episodes, but we'll see. Also despite some people complaining about the school aspect, it's mostly used as a backdrop to introduce characters, and introduce the dynamics of the Adults using their kids, and the racism of the society against Earthborns. In fact, I think there are only 2-3 episodes where people even go to class.

The weakest despite being pretty good is Bleach. I think they're rushing through the material a bit too fast, I would have liked the season to end either with the spoiler[Unohana reveal or her death,] and leave the Zero Squad stuff mostly to cour 2. The animation is great, and Shiro Sagisu is back baby, and better than ever. He's one of my favorite anime composers and his Bleach soundtrack has always been fantastic but he's stepping it up here.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:18 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:

The weakest despite being pretty good is Bleach. I think they're rushing through the material a bit too fast, I would have liked the season to end either with the spoiler[Unohana reveal or her death,] and leave the Zero Squad stuff mostly to cour 2. The animation is great, and Shiro Sagisu is back baby, and better than ever. He's one of my favorite anime composers and his Bleach soundtrack has always been fantastic but he's stepping it up here.

The material rushes itself too fast. I'm sorry but this was never Kubos strongest arc - it felt rushed reading it in manga form. I don't fault the anime as much as I do the source material itself. And you're right, the music is excellent.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:52 am Reply with quote
I would like to compliment the Arknights anime for being way better than I expected. I am really sold on the world and lore and can thankfully see more of it in the future. That said, the world seems to have completely forgotten about it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I would like to compliment the Arknights anime for being way better than I expected. I am really sold on the world and lore and can thankfully see more of it in the future. That said, the world seems to have completely forgotten about it.

The timing of this post is amusing, given that TWIA features the series in an article posted only a few hours later. . .

I have seen the first half or so of this one and may yet try to finish it, but it is a decidedly middle-of-the-road title for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ouch...now I feel like the only person on the planet who unironically enjoyed Housing Complex C's weird little 4-episode run. Laughing Apparently the mood that clicked for me didn't do so for any of the reviewers, and while it was awkwardly-constructed, the finale was good schlocky fun. I honestly wouldn't mind giving it a rewatch.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed Hosing Complex C. I thought it was actually a pretty good little horror series that would have obviously been much better had it been longer... but, oh, well, at the very least I enjoyed what we got.
The best of the season for me would be Chainsaw man hads down. As someone who has never liked any Shonen Jump series ever (I even struggle to remember WSJ series I have actually managed to finish after more than 10 years of watching anime in earnest) I have to say I was totally blown away by how good it was, not only in the technical side of things (that were out of this world good) but also how good and intriguing the story was, despite being obvioulsy a shonen title at its core. I must say, episodes 7,8,and 9 were probably some of the best anime episodes I've seen in quite a long time... one of the extremely rare cases were I must say the hype was justified.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Packed season, eh? After a fairly quiet summer, fall was firing on all the cylinders.

Chainsaw Man is undoubtably a technical, cinematic and storytelling masterpiece. It's a spectacle to watch, funny, kinetic, heartfelt, with attention to detail in every frame and especially the quiet moments. But it hasn't been my favourite show of the season.

For that, we need to look at the story of a socially awkward woman trying to make her way in a confusing and brutal world. Yep, it's Akiba Maid War / Bocchi The Rock / G-Witch / Raven of the Inner Palace. Not so much Bibliophile Princess. It's been a busy few months for the best fail-wives in two dimensions.

Out of these, probably the show that grabbed my attention the most is Witch from Mercury, but I can't sing the praises of the creativity and commitment shown in both Akiba Maid War and Bocchi the Rock enough. There's immense passion for the material and the artform on display from the teams behind both. (and yes, of course, Ranko rather than Nagomi is the socially awkward one, though basically every single character in that show is a disaster) Everyone should watch both these shows, regardless of whether you think "that sort of show" is your thing or not.

Raven of the Inner Palace wasn't stand-out fantastic, but there's a lot of great touches and an interesting world. The titular Raven Consort is great, and I liked the "weekly ghost" format. The various mysteries that that ran in the background were also well done, feeling neither pointlessly obvious nor obnoxiously pulled out of nowhere.

Spy Family continued to be funny and endearing. It's had some good moments, but I think overall was weaker than part 1.

Do It Yourself was super cosy and tooth-rottingly sweet, but sometimes that's what you need. I defy anyone to watch that show and still be stressed or angry at the end. Yua's chill just seeps out into you.

Worst? I've not really watched anything outright terrible. Bibliophile Princess squandered a potentially interesting protagonist and became pretty frustrating. Iruma dragged a lot. I'm the Villainess could have taken a bit more time rather than trying to cover three big arcs in one cour. Aileen was a great protagonist, but it all got a bit rushed.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Bibliophile Princess, I can't be the only one who found real value in Elianna's ideals and working for the good of others. In fact, I aspire to be more like her because I really want to help other people (for me, it would be through the creative things I make).

The anime (and the source material) is also something that made me really happy during an emotionally difficult time. So it means even more to me because of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Regarding Bibliophile Princess, I can't be the only one who found real value in Elianna's ideals and working for the good of others. In fact, I aspire to be more like her because I really want to help other people (for me, it would be through the creative things I make).

The anime (and the source material) is also something that made me really happy during an emotionally difficult time. So it means even more to me because of that.

Not at all! I love her, and I agree that she's worth emulating, especially as a fellow bibliophile. I wanted to love the anime, but it fell short of the novels for me.

I hope things are looking up for you. I'm positive you'll make a difference, just like Eli.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

I agree entirely - I really wanted to like Eli... I do like Eli... but I think the show itself does her a massive disservice. For the majority of the runtime, all her best achievements happen off-screen, and are related to us by the prince or his attendants. Eli herself is just a mass of blonde hair and doubt that sometimes whimpers. And I don't think that's fair to who she is. I don't need her to be an action hero, gifted with infinite charisma and self confidence. Her insecurities are a core part of her character. But I'd kinda like to see some of her thought process and activity in action, rather than it being Chris narrating both what she did and why she did it after the fact. Pulling that trick once ("Eli doesn't value herself, doesn't see this stuff, but Chris sees her value") is fine and gives us a bunch of insight into both characters... but we go around that loop several times over the season. It gets a bit repetitive. They needed to mix it up a bit with "Eli doesn't see it, but the audience can" too.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Not at all! I love her, and I agree that she's worth emulating, especially as a fellow bibliophile. I wanted to love the anime, but it fell short of the novels for me.

I hope things are looking up for you. I'm positive you'll make a difference, just like Eli.

Thank you so much! I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy the show as much as I did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:18 am Reply with quote
My 2¥ worth.

Best: Mobile Suit Gundam: Witch From Mercury
Best new Gundam series in at least a decade, possibly more if the rest of the series meets or exceeds the high bar the first cour has set. Great mech fights, characters worth caring for, and a story growing every more complex make this the clear winner for me. Looking forward to seeing how things unfold from here, but I think this series has the potential to be the first truly great mecha series in a very, very long time.

Runner-Up: Urusei Yatsura (2022)
Look. The original Urusei Yatsura was the first anime series I ever fell in love with, and the prospect of having new UY to watch for the first time in 30 plus years (yes, I know, minus that Rumic World exhibition special...) is going to carry a helluva lot of weight with me, no matter how good some of the other titles in this cour are. For me it was great to see Lum, Ataru, and the whole gang back, and watching the new series has been a nostalgic reminder for why I fell in love with the anime medium in the first place. So, please leave all your comparisons and complaints at the door; this old Urusei Yatsura fan is really enjoying the new series.

Honorable Mentions: Akiba Maid War, Romantic Killer, The Little Lies We All Tell, Chainsaw Man, Spy x Family s1 part 2, Isekai Uncle, To Your Eternity s2, My Hero Academia s6, Golden Kamui s4 part 1.

Dropped: Reincarnated as a Sword (nothing really wrong with it; I'm just an kind of burned out with isekai)

Worst: Muv-Luv Alternate s2
I really tried to give this one a chance. I generally love mecha shows, and I actually didn’t mind the first half of this series. But somewhere in the middle of Episode #3 the idiotic characters and the convoluted situation just got to me, and I stopped. Haven’t gone back. I won’t say that the series is terrible, but of the shows I tried this one just felt the least satisfactory and the biggest waste of my time. And lets be honest: G-Witch is proving to be a hard act to compete with; there just isn't any comparison.

Overall, I think this was the second best cour of 2022. Spring still wins overall, but Fall gets close, edges out Winter, and is miles better than Summer. In general, 2022 has been a decent year.

Bring on 2023!

ADDENDUM
Nice to see all the love for The Little Lies We All Tell in these pages! Definitely a sleeper gem that snuck by a lot of people.

If it weren't for the Urusei Yatsura reboot, I think Akiba Maid War would have easily moved into my Runner-Up slot. Had to actually think that one over, but basically it came down to the fact that I enjoyed UY more. Still, I admit I will miss that 1-2 punch of new UY and AKW every Thursday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4