• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wonder Egg Priority Director Shares Cut Context for Mannequins' Sexist Dialogue Scene in E

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
captainbanana wrote:
It was pretty clear to me within the context of the show that Acca and Ura-Acca probably aren't the most trustworthy. I'm not really sure why some people took their spiel to be the opinions of the script writer or the director. It's nice of them to provide clarification to those people though. It would be a shame for anyone to fall off one of the best original shows in a long time because of misconceptions, and I hope they continue to address the sensitive subject matter in the show with as much tact as I feel they have so far.

Yeah, I currently view the two mannequins as the possible Kyubey of WEP, up to something much more sinister than they let on until the series proves otherwise. Still, I understand why quite a few people, especially trans people would be put on their guard. They have deal with this sort of often insidious talk all the time in their lives. That the director is willing to clarify does make it seem that he really is acting in good faith here. At least until proven otherwise later on...

I think the thing that set off alarm bells here isn't so much the sexist thing being said but how Rika and Neiru reacts to it. Rika basically agrees (and in episode fivespoiler[ she even says that she was just being emotional because she's a woman ])
and Neiru's "What?" was a reaction to what Rika said, not Ura and Accas spiel.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
I'm pretty sure Momoe is just a butch cis lesbian. She talks and styles herself in a masculine way so she occasionally gets mistaken for a boy. I did get the impression that she might have considered being a trans boy, but decided against it.

Someone in the WEP forum said this and I'll be stealing it;
"Adam's apples are sexy" isn't a very lesbian thing to say.
I think it'd be super cool if a main character was trans or gay but I think everything points to Momoe being a cis girl who's reacting to trauma by trying to play the role of a boy.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Neiru's "What?" was a reaction to what Rika said, not Ura and Accas spiel.

A lot of people seemed to missed this detailed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4