• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament - Nominations - Voting Period

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'll cast +1 vote for each of the following:

Armitage
Reiner Braun
Gennousuke
Alita
Guts
Revy (consider this a +1000 vote lol)
Masamichi Fujisawa
Riza Hawkeye
Batou
Rally Vincent
Ryuko Matoi
Jubei Kibagami
Homura Akemi
Himura Kenshin
Ominae Yu (was gonna nominate hi myself)
"D"
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Moving forward once the tournament actually starts this thread will be locked and a new one started. Then if anyone needs to see the information on a character and why they were nominated they can reference this thread. Hence why I asked for everyone to supply a photo and brief description with their nominations. Smile I updated my second post with the list thus far as well. I will update that post moving forward with the current list of nominations and votes for/against them. That way it's easy to find.

As for the mini-game here are the list of participants so far. I didn't see many statements definitely saying people wanted to participate in it. If I missed anyone let me know. If you want to join the mini-game just make sure you clearly say so that way I can add you. Smile Once we're about to start the tournament I'll do a last call as well.

Blood -
Psycho 101
Unicorn_Blade
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
This is my first post of a handful. I'm about to spam you all with nominations lol. I wanted to wait to give others time to go first before I vomited up a plethora of characters myself. I suck at doing reviews etc, so I'll be copying a lot from elsewhere for the reasoning behind characters. In no particular order here we go....

Bubblegum Crisis - Priss Asagiri

Regardless of which version you watch, the original or 2040 Tokyo, Priss is the badass of the group. She is a kick ass and take names later character. She is more brash and sullen in the 2040 version, and more outgoing in the original. Regardless, she is real fighter of the group in both versions. Plus she can rock out some tunes as a singer.

One Punch Man - Bang (Silver Fang)

Bang is one of the most powerful members of the heroes association, has his own dojo, and kicks major ass. He's one of the more serious characters in the show, and his hero ability is literally fighting. While that alone doesn't make him badass, combine it with his more serious attitude, willingness to jump into a fight, and is one of the few who acknowledges Saitama's power, it makes him badass in my book.

Samurai Champloo - Mugen

Of the main protagonists in Samurai Champloo Mugen is easily the badass of the bunch. Where as Jin is more calm and reserved Mugen is brash, loud, and always looking for a fight. When considering swagger as part of being badass Mugen has it in spaids.

Fist of the North Star - Kenshiro

If you looked up male machismo in the dictionary you'd see a photo of Kenshiro. I mean he's basically Bruce Lee jacked up on roids. He can kill you with a touch. He always sticks up for others and will face impossible odds. Plus he has one of the most badass tag lines ever, regardless of the medium. "You're already dead".

Spriggan - Jean Jacquemonde

If we're going to nominate Yu from Spriggan we gotta show some love to his French Spriggan counterpart. He's as reliable as Yu, if not more so. Yu might have him beat in pure badass power and fighting abilities, but Jean has more swagger and intelligence. He's also hardly a slouch in the kick ass department either.

Moribito - Balsa

Balsa is more of the quieter and reserved type of badass character. She's not as loud and brash as many of the other nominees, but she makes up for that in her abilities. She is simply amazing with her spear and can fight off multiple people at the same time. She keeps her cool generally in a fight and simply beats her opponents with superior skill.

Sword of the Stranger - Nanashi (No name)

A very under appreciated movie to begin with. Nanashi is a master swordsman who gave up fighting. He's very similar to Kenshin, but definitely has more sass and snark. He's able to dispatch of the deadly Chinese assassins in the show, or go through multiple people at once. The last battle between him and Luo Lang is one of the best animated sword fights you will ever see bar none. Seriously, go watch it. It's also one of the most beautifully animated fights as well. Seriously, why are you still reading this?! Go watch it!

Getbackers - Ban Mido

This is a personal favorite for me. Getbackers is a quirky and fun action series that never got much love. Nor a finished manga or anime. *grumble* Anyways, Ban is one of the 2 MC's of the Getbackers Recovery Service. He's a mixture of calm, cool, arrogant, lecherous, prone to outburst, and loads of swagger. Much like his counterpart Ginji, once he gets more quiet and focused that's when his true badass nature comes out. His evil eye power is near unbeatable. He's also inhumanely strong and fast.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Here is my second batch of nominations. I'll wait a day or so before making more.

Kurau Phantom Memory - Kurau

The titular character from Kurau Phantom Memory. After an accident as a child Kurau became host to 2 powerful entities that changed her. As an adult she is a powerful agent and very skilled at hand to hand combat. She's fearless and has several special powers due to the accident as a child. I'm being a bit vague for now as some of the details of her powers contain big spoilers for the series. Suffice to say for now she's super strong, dexterous, skilled in combat, and a bit cocky. The beginning and ending of this show remain one of my favorite to date. She and her "sister" Christmas (yes that's her name) actually won the "Best Duo" tournament.

Fate Stay Night/Unlimited Blade Works/Heavens Feel - Lancer

We're talking here specifically about the Lancer we know and love from the 3 core Fate scenarios. Beyond being incredibly skilled with his spear he exudes badass confidence and swagger. He also has a real heart inside despite his more brash nature. Easily on of the more competent and powerful servants in the Fate universe.

Appleseed - Deunan Knute

Deunan is basically Major Kusanagi without the cybernetics and android body. She's a super soldier, extremely competent, very intelligent, and also very loyal to her friends and comrades. She manages to take on many cybernetic warriors despite being human herself without all the upgrades.

Oh My Goddess - Lind

Lind is the best of the warrior Valkyrie in Oh My Goddess. When heaven's forces need to battle the demons she is the best at it. Her skills are basically unmatched and she is unflinching in combat. Despite that though she actually has a real heart of gold and is very smart and calculating. She is the only goddess in the show that can actually handle having 2 angels inside of her as well. She also happens to be my favorite goddess from the show.

Hunter Hunter - Isaac Netero

With age comes wisdom. And the ability to kick major ass. Netero is the Chairman of the Hunter Committee, and with good reason. Almost nobody dares to talk back to him due to his immense power and combat prowess. His battle with Meruem was amazing and shows how badass this headmaster was. Especially given the ending of that fight. Major spoilers there.

Dirty Pair - Kei

Here's an oldie but goodie. One of the original badass babes with guns duo, Dirty Pair. She and Yuri are the original kickass duo, though between the 2 Kei is the bigger badass of them in my book. She's enhanced and a master fighter in hand to hand or with firearms. Wherever she goes, destruction follows. What really showcases her badass aura is when she supports her partner Yuri.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:20 am Reply with quote
Are we still allowed to nominate?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:

I'd assume so; if the goal is to get 96 or 128 entries we're far from that total, especially if some of the nominations are expected to be down-voted.

@Psycho 101
I have no desire to participate in the minigame, but for seeding/voting purposes I give +1 to Priss, Hild, Lancer, Mugen, Jean, Kenshiro, and Kei
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
Also, I + 1 Guts.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:

Until I say nominations are closed then yup. Nominate away.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Hikari14 wrote:

I'd assume so; if the goal is to get 96 or 128 entries we're far from that total, especially if some of the nominations are expected to be down-voted.

@Psycho 101
I have no desire to participate in the minigame, but for seeding/voting purposes I give +1 to Priss, Hild, Lancer, Mugen, Jean, Kenshiro, and Kei

Votes added. And I am sitting on another 20-25 characters to nominate myself lol. I'm trying to space them out and give others a chance. We will definitely hit the 96 by the time I'm done though lol.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Hikari14 wrote:

Until I say nominations are closed then yup. Nominate away.

Nominations in my next post.

I've edited my Baccano post, by the way.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Levi, Mikasa and Kenny Ackerman from Attack on Titan
Hoo boy, where do I start with these three? They are all members of the Ackerman clan whose members awaken their latent abilities when faced with a person they want to protect. On the battlefield, they are no-nonsense fighters, who don't care who or what you are. If you threaten the people they care about, you're toast, whether you are a Titan, a human, or both. (Looking at you, Warriors). And now for each one individually:

-People and Titans alike run away from Levi and his wrath. Zeke, the arch-villain, wanted a draw because he knew Levi would kill him otherwise.
- Kenny is a goddamn legend and is capable of predicting his enemies' strategies
- Mikasa threatened her own comrade for getting in her way and is damn scary to boot.

(I would also nominate Eren and Bertolt, but I've learned my lesson. Call it bad luck or whatever, but I am not letting these two anywhere near any tournament from now on.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I had Levi and Mikasa on my list to nominate. I had a feeling someone else would get to them first though.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I had Levi and Mikasa on my list to nominate. I had a feeling someone else would get to them first though.

Razz
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke

Lady Eboshi singlehandedly established a town, an island of civilisation right next to the forest, not afraid to challenge spirits and gods alike. With the help of lepers who are valued members of the mini society and women who thanks to her are just as powerful as men, she builds a fortress like no other- a power to be reckoned with. And she is a pretty good fighter.

Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quote
No one is ready to cast + 1 votes yet, I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10