• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Dubs Cast Real Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

I suppose that is one advantage of recording in LA since child actors are more common. On one of the commentaries for R.O.D the TV it was mentioned that Rachel was already involved with other non-anime productions. She was in the later seasons of Ikki Tousen that New Generation recorded, and she sounded different, which isn't too surprising since she was in her 20s by then.

Heh, I was going to mention Rachel Hirschfeld in ROD the TV as being the best example of child acting I've ever heard in a dub. Then again both that show and Ergo Proxy were dubbed by Jonathan Klein and New Generation pictures, and they were the top tier of all anime dubbing studios.

You're mostly correct, though Taliesin Jaffe was the ADR Director of R.O.D. the TV. I know this because R.O.D. the TV has what is probably my favorite English Dub of all time.

I was just going to mention that too - Taliesin Jaffe's work as ADR Director on that show was so good that I will consider watching shows I wouldn't have otherwise if he or any of the cast from that show is involved. Hearing the commentary from some of the episodes on the DVDs gives a really good sense of professionalism and comraderie he had working with the main voice actresses on that show.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
In the English-language dub of the Monster Rancher anime, Genki Sakura was first voiced by Saffron Henderson. She was replaced by then-teenager Andrew Francis. The reason for this is that Saffron Henderson quit her voice acting commitments due to her wedding. Am I right?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

That said, even in Japan it's pretty rare for kids to voice a major ongoing character. Almost all major child roles in longer TV series are filled by adult women.

Most anime in Japan has to appeal to otaku somewhat to earn money. They can't sell kid actors to otaku, and otaku for the most part don't buy into kid actors. And so, they use beautiful seiyuu for child roles and still get otaku to buy into their merchandise.

While dubbing is an acquired skill for most actors let alone kid actors, pre-lay animation (voice recorded then animated later) is easier on them. And so, North American animation --which is almost exclusively pre-lay-- is more known to use real kids on child roles. Plus, they don't have the concern of selling child actors to otaku.

For example, Peanuts always used real kids. Reboot, which is getting a reboot heh, also used a couple kids who later on went to dub anime too. Even popular shows with already well-known voice actors like Justice League Unlimited nevertheless switched to real kids when the heroes got turned into children, even while still acting like adults (since they retained a bit of their adult minds).

explosionforgov wrote:

My favorite instances of an actual child actor in a cartoon is either Aang in Avatar: The Last Airbender,

Toph's was even younger, and she had to say the best lines. Laughing

leafy sea dragon wrote:

The same can be said with Cathy Weseluck as far as Canadian voice actors go, which has led to her getting more or less typecast as little boys, even though she has a lot more range than that.

I will always associate Cathy Weseluck with Shampoo. Very Happy

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Ranma 1/2 cast real teenage girls as Boy-type Ranma (Sarah Strange), Girl-type Ranma (Brigitta Dau), Akane (Myriam Sirois), Nabiki (Angela Costain), and Kasumi (Willow Johnson). Of course, they got older as the show went along (with Sarah, Brigitta, and Angela quitting at different points), but they were apparently around 16-19 when the show first began recording in 1993. It was pretty bold for the time.

And that they were actually younger than their characters!
(Ex: Angela Costain was 14 when she started dubbing 17-year-old Nabiki.)

At a time when anime dubbing was still new, and not many actors have any prior experience to develop the skill, so they had to develop it along the way.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
I remember that for the Barefoot Gen dub, they cast real kids. It was...not too good. They also cast a preteen for the role of Sakura in the Cardcaptors dub (she was 11 or 12 at the time).

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Whenever Pixar has a major character who's young, they'll always look for someone about that character's age to voice them. I remember the commentary for Finding Nemo and Up and how they said it was so much trouble and so expensive to find kids who could actually act well, be mature enough to stay in the recording booth for a while, and understood their character well enough to feel genuine. (Not sure if they say anything about that with Miguel in Coco--I was going to pick up the Blu-Ray in a bit, so I'll find out soon enough.) But this is Pixar, a company that can afford to do that.

For Monsters Inc, they cast a 3 year old who was a relative of one of the actors and let her walk around the studio and recorded whatever she said and used that. It was excellent.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
One thing that Eng. dubs sometimes have over some Japanese versions is that the former often get adult men to play adult versions of the boy character. Compare this to Mayumi Tanaka playing an adult Krillin.

Yeah and then we get Linda Young as Frieza while Sonny Strait makes Krillen sound too nasaly.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

CelestialEmpress wrote:
I remember watching Hey Arnold as a kid and thought it was so cool that the actors were all kids, but I imagine it was an absolute pain in the ass to constantly coach and recast those roles on such a regular basis. Fun story, Eugene grew up to be Joseph Joestar and that will never not make me laugh.

He was BEN DISKIN?

Has anyone done the math and figured out how old he was when he voiced Nigel in Codename: Kids Next Door? It wasn't all that long after Hey Arnold!, after all.

KND aired from 2001 to 2008, sand Ben Diskin was born in 1982. He was 19, when it started. He also voiced Numbuh 2, and part of The Delightful Children from down the Lane..
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
In the English-language dub of the Monster Rancher anime, Genki Sakura was first voiced by Saffron Henderson. She was replaced by then-teenager Andrew Francis. The reason for this is that Saffron Henderson quit her voice acting commitments due to her wedding. Am I right?

I am more used to reading about the wedding thing being applied to her voice of young Gohan. I am curious as to when she voiced Genki because I remember seeing an old MR VHS where Andrew's name was listed in the credits (no "VA as a [character name]" but rather a general voice list).
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Isn't it also true that kids have a much harder time reading lip flaps compared to adults? I heard that's why Aaron Dismuke was cast as Al - because Al has no lip flaps.

That's exactly why. He wouldn't have gotten the chance otherwise. Aaron also happened to be related to a crew member at Funimation, so that helped him get the role too.

which is the reason why he's the rarity. he was bread into the industry and was well known by them. he's basically the anime industry's version of Lebron James who started at a very young age and was able to not only thrive, but didn't let it changed him unlike certain US Hollywood child actors that i know.

the only way any child VA will be able to succeed is if their either A) have a similar situation like arron, or B) is blood related to a VA or an ADR Director or an executive and knows the knowing of voice acting.

Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
Child labor laws are one: kids can only work 18 hours during a school week. That's probably fine for a one-episode role or for a movie, but if their character is a major role in an ongoing series, that can be a pretty tough limitation to work around. Dubbing isn't a major enough production to take kids out of school for any period of time, and budgets are famously very tight, so hiring an on-set tutor to get around such limitations is out of the question.

A perfect example of this would be Anime Midstream's dub for the first half of Matchless Raijin-Oh. That dub did in fact cast a number of younger people for recurring roles, some of which were apparently still in high school when dubbing started. As a result, I'm sure that child labor laws, combined with having to work around the kids' school lives, were a major reason why Midstream only managed to knock out a single 5-episode DVD every year from 2009 to 2013; once the dub was dropped for the second half, Midstream was able to put the last 26 episodes out sub-only the following year.

Sure, it does allow for the dub to sound much more accurate in some instances, but it's just not something that can be relied on.

but unfortunately they WILL! and it wouldn't be a choice in the matter

with well known VA's that use to voice child roles really well no longer being active in the anime industry and doing other things that pay more like voicing into AAA video games or US cartoons like disney's avengers assemble, eventually they will have to use some child VA's at least for the smaller roles. specifically in series that have 12 eps or those that like one liners. though shonen jump type series like boruto , one piece and black clover is definitely impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
David Matranga's session was considered fast for the first season because his character spoke so little that his recording for that season was done in half a day. If that is considered fast for an adult, I have to think that kids a realistic option.

Casting real children could be more feasible in traditional dubs (when all the episodes are dubbed together/at once), but with simuldubs it seems impossible.

Agreed. Based on the commentaries I've heard, getting cast in a simuldub requires the actor to be available for 12+ weeks, since they don't have a lot of advanced notice on when or if they'll be needed. Kids would still need to go to school during the day, and parents would have to be able to get them to a session on pretty short notice. Granted, Funimation added evening recording sessions to keep up, and some actors have come back, like Ryan Reynolds, because that fits around their day job, but I can't imagine parents dropping what they were doing or keeping their kids out of other activities after school on the chance they might get called in. That would be way too much commitment to expect of kids.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
To an extent, it's the same with physical acting. How many actors in their late teens to early twenties playing first-year high school students do you see? They're usually anywhere from two to five years older, give or take.

It's pretty self-explanatory for children.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
KND aired from 2001 to 2008, sand Ben Diskin was born in 1982. He was 19, when it started. He also voiced Numbuh 2, and part of The Delightful Children from down the Lane..

Oh yeah, I thought Dee Bradley Baker voiced Numbuh Two for some reason (when it's just Four, as well as a whole bunch of villains).

The idea behind the Delightful Children, though was as an evil counterpart to the Kids Next Door (well, Sector V anyway), being about their age but completely different in behavior and morality. Hence, it'd make sense that the same people to voice the Sector V members would voice the Delightful Children, sans Lauren Tom for some reason.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I know the dubs of Strawberry Marshmallow and Nadia: Secret of Blue Water had real kids playing the kids. Strawberry Marshmallow was squee worthy, and the kids in Nadia did such a good job, especially Jean, that I had no idea how young they were. I assumed Jean was voiced by an adult woman.

While I prefer the vocal performances by the original Japanese seiyuu, it is very much true that the voices in the English dub of Strawberry Marshmallow sound much younger than their Japanese counterparts. Fumiko Orikasa, the voice of 12-year old Miu Matsuoka, was 30 when she recorded Miu's voice in the 2005 TV series, and even the youngest of the main 5 seiyuu, Mamiko Noto, the voice of Ana Coppola, had already turned 25.

Comedic timing is a lot more important to me than having the girls sound like actual children, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I know the dubs of Strawberry Marshmallow and Nadia: Secret of Blue Water had real kids playing the kids. Strawberry Marshmallow was squee worthy, and the kids in Nadia did such a good job, especially Jean, that I had no idea how young they were. I assumed Jean was voiced by an adult woman.

I second this. I loved the dub of Nadia, and yes, the children were what really sold it for me. All three were fantastic in their roles. Nathan Parsons took a few episodes to nail the French accent, but I loved the enthusiasm and exuberance he brought to the part, especially his breakdown scene in episode 15. Meg Bauman and Margaret Cassidy were great from the start as Nadia and Marie, respectively. It's a shame Monster Island is no more; they may not have always made great dubs, but this was the start of their turnaround, and in my opinion, it still holds up.

NYAV Post dubs have recently been casting children, particularly in dubs like Welcome to Space Show, A Letter To Momo, Mai Mai Miracle, and recently for A Silent Voice. All were successfully done. It really pleases me to see this, as I do prefer to have kids voice kids whenever possible. I don't have anything aganist kids having "teen" voices (I was OK with Pazu in Castle in the Sky being a bit older, for instance, as well as Your Name's dub), but I feel that the existance of children to make a dub of shows involving children more authentic and tangible.

Quote:
And infamously Disney cast Dakota and Elle Fanning as the two little girls in Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro. Two roles again filled by grown adult women in the Japanese dub.

Infamously? No. No, no, no. If anything, I felt that casting Dakota and Elle Fanning brought a lot of realism to that particular film. Don't get me wrong the first dub Streamline did was good (for its time), but it was obvious that those two characters were voiced by adult actresses. They did a great job, to be sure, but I just feel that the story is far more tangible when you hear actual kids play the part. I actually prefer Elle Fanning's turn as Mei for this reason. She sounded natural from the start. Dakota was a little more reserved, but I still liked her performance. I don't think either of them deserve the backlash they get from FOX dub fans. Both dubs of Totoro have their heart in the right place.

(Sorry to bump this up, I just wanted to chime in.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4