• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The only thing keeping me watching a bit more is where the context goes.

The kids do seem to be pretty ignorant. 016 has the humility and state of mind to be embarrassed by a girl swimming naked but none of them know what kissing is.

...but the show does have the creator of the Franxx being a dirty old man who seems to especially like women's asses and doesn't hesitate to grope one in front of him. And it just so happens that the super robot he made has the girls position themselves ass up and presenting like baboons?
This is the show they made, these are the characters we're given.
Its gonna take some serious 'splaining to explain the splaying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately episode 03 is a lot less ecchi than 02.

Hiro was cute with naming everybody. xD

I TOTALLY SHIP ZOROME AND MIKU.

spoiler[IS MITSURU DEAD!? Did Zero Two kill him!? OR could he just not handle the full power? ]There's something pretty unsettling about that girl; I could see either one of these being true.

I can't believe how slow I am. Three episodes in and it takes me this long to notice that Zero Two's outfit is identical to FLCL's Haruko's. Red jacket, black leggings, white boots. Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

No need to put your question in spoiler tags, Chiibi, since you are not providing source material information that wasn't revealed in the episode. And no, he's not dead but the little shit will probably just *teensy* bit less cocky, now. Serves him right.

I'm getting a little impatient with the wait to see Hiro and 02 back in action, together. I hope they don't draw this out much longer.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Mitsuru's definitely still alive. He was moaning very slightly.

Chiibi wrote:
I TOTALLY SHIP ZOROME AND MIKU.

ME TOO.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
I stated it before in the review thread but I find Hiro too passive for his own good. Now, passive can be fine, but unless Hiro has a resolution like Shinji's, the passivity won't be something i like

If the passivity is meant to be a reflection of teenage maturation, I saw this done better in Devilman Crybaby. If it's reluctance for his life, I don't see much fear in his tone.

I'm finding him hard to relate to or connect with and until we get more about him or see him grow, that feeling will persist

As for the over sexual nature of the naming and piloting, it's heavy handed but whether it's unnuanced has yet to be seen.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
^ I think Hiro's passivity is definitely going to break soon. The way he clenches his fist and the expressions he makes are clear-cut signs that he's VERY frustrated about this whole thing. In contrast to Shinji who really didn't want to pilot the EVA to begin with, Hiro really wants to pilot the Franxx but is just being held back.

@Cam: OH YAY. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
There was a pretty interesting animation choice in the episode. When they were overlooking the city, the top and bottom half of the screen suddenly got smaller with just black, I think it was used to convey the feeling of being trapped that 02 was explaining over the place, where it was suddenly returned gave a feeling of release along with her saying she could give him freedom. I remember the screen being played with in a similar fashion with mostly only Anime Gataris, and I had to re-watch this scene again to appreciate its use here.

I could see where they were going with the partnership thing, how first episode showed how good our main characters could be together, second showing he is not just good with anyone, and third showed how not just anyone can match her. It wanted us to believe in the comparability it talks about.

And yes, I too am starting to quite like the Zorome and Miku pairing. The two of them have some room to grow, they can step on each others toes, but there is also seems be a part that they can come to an understanding and care about each other. They also kind of feel like they give energy to the series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I think it's established in the beginning that no one else at the moment and likely in the future can be compatible with Zero 2 except for Hiro. I think their personalities are really different though.

I didn't like that Mitsuru guy at all. Just very arrogant character that failed to prove himself in the end.

In regards to the drama, I think it's fine for now but not very impressive either. Not sure why they showed a brief flashback of Ichigo again if they weren't going to focus on her this episode. The action is nice, still kinda over the top (not as good as the first episode) but works. My biggest impression so far is the world setting at the moment as it feels like a lot of potential to be explored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Well it's about damn time Hiro finally gets in on the action. I was also getting a bit annoyed that the other kids keep needing to be saved by Zero Two but today's victory was only achieved by everyone working together.

And now we got our lesbian character too so they will be exploring that.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode Four:

Finally!!!

From the heartfelt exposition from Hiro all the way through the finishing off of the nastie of the week, that was the payoff I've been waiting for! And what made it better was a team effort at the end. Just wonderful.

At least the 'Ichigo has feelings for Hiro' sub-plot is gonna be ongoing for a bit more. I just hope Zreo Two doesn't do anything drastic in the short-term. She's found her 'Darling' and as long as Hiro is still accepting of her, I figure Zero Two will do whatever to keep him.

Now this could be a interesting ride indeed...
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Hiro and Zero Two kick ass.

Vaisaga wrote:
And now we got our lesbian character too so they will be exploring that.

We did? I must have missed that part. Only that one look Ikuno gave at Ichigo comes to mind, but I didn't think it meant something.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
We did? I must have missed that part. Only that one look Ikuno gave at Ichigo comes to mind, but I didn't think it meant something.

That would be it. She's got a pretty clear blush on her face and later before they launched she put a hand on her own shoulder where Ichigo had placed her's earlier. The first scene alone wouldn't have been much, but the 2nd makes it clear where they're going with it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

later before they launched she put a hand on her own shoulder where Ichigo had placed her's earlier.

I can't believe this. I actually noticed that, but I just thought something like "What an odd pose." Uhh... yeah. I need to slap myself.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
^lol I didn't notice that at all either. Anime hyper I'll rewatch.

Episode 04 was pretty good. The bath scene was kinda sexy. I wonder if Zero Two was like "since he saw me, now it's MY turn to look." Anime hyper

[edit]
Yeah, Ikuno is yuri for Ichigo. That was crazy subtle though...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, my yuri googles must be fogged up... totally missed that. Anyway, like a lot of other peeps I was happy to see Hiro and Zero Two back in action. I don't understand "Papa's" problem with their partnership. If you have a weapon that works why not use it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10