• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Adds 1 Hour to Programming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^Don't forget Sym-Bionic Titan! Very Happy
And talking about Genndy Tartakovsky, Toonami premiered a new, final season of Samurai Jack this year. How can anyone think Toonami is anime-only?
I wonder what its ratings were like--I'd love to get another season of Sym-Bionic Titan. Or even a special...
Sym-Bionic Titan was pretty good, too bad it didn't last very long but if the show makes a comeback, I'd tune in, also Megas XLR needs a revival as well, the show was really funny but it never concluded it's story, thanks Cartoon network.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
I think Toonami/Adult Swim should put all of the anime shows on first then their American stuff.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's a difficult comparison to make since Saturday is the worst day of the week for tv viewing across the board on both cable and broadcast. Also, tv viewership is down for every network as Netflix, Hulu and other streaming platforms gain those views.

As I noted in the post above, Lupin came in 14th last week for all cable programming on Saturday, despite being in the 2 am death slot, so yeah, it's doing pretty good. Smile

True. Saturday is one of those death slots (though apparently, not quite as bad as Friday nights), their only real competition being Saturday Night Live, which comes before them anyway. Except for me and others with the DISH Network as I get to see Toonami three hours early, so it becomes 8 PM to midnight for me. I can then watch it again at its intended timeslots.

What I meant, though, was if the downward trend in the ratings on Toonami is proportional with that of Adult Swim Comedy. Something like Rick & Morty will always outdo everything Toonami has, but is the viewership for Rick & Morty going down at about the same percentage week by week as, say, Dragon Ball Super?

I do wonder: Is it counted as two viewings if I watch one of these shows on Cartoon Network East, then watch it again on Cartoon Network West? Sometimes, when one of these Gundam shows come on, I'll watch it twice because so much of it flies over my head the first time.

theNightster wrote:
Sym-Bionic Titan was pretty good, too bad it didn't last very long but if the show makes a comeback, I'd tune in, also Megas XLR needs a revival as well, the show was really funny but it never concluded it's story, thanks Cartoon network.

Sym-Bionic Titan (and indeed, most things Genndy Tartakovsky makes) is a very expensive show that would require absolutely stellar viewership or good merchandise sales to turn a profit. Williams Street is a company willing to take a loss for something they really want to have on (which is why they held onto One Piece for as long as they did), but they can't do it for a sustained amount of time.

As for Megas XLR, I think that one's been written off. No chance anymore.

Kadmos1 wrote:
I think Toonami/Adult Swim should put all of the anime shows on first then their American stuff.

What they prioritize for their earlier slots is what brings in the most viewers, or what they believe will bring in the most viewers. In other words, they will put their most-watched shows in their most accessible timeslots. It's as simple as that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I do wonder: Is it counted as two viewings if I watch one of these shows on Cartoon Network East, then watch it again on Cartoon Network West?

If you're not a Nielsen family, it doesn't count at all. Razz
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I do wonder: Is it counted as two viewings if I watch one of these shows on Cartoon Network East, then watch it again on Cartoon Network West?

If you're not a Nielsen family, it doesn't count at all. Razz

Yeah, you're right. We've never once had a Nielsen box in our house. We had the radio equivalent though (and at that time, I didn't listen to the radio, so that was a very easy thing to submit back).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^Don't forget Sym-Bionic Titan! Very Happy

In my defense I never watched it when it was on so I couldn't recall it being on Toonami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4