• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Any other show worth its salt would have it revealed that the supposed awesome coat had no powers and he was simply swindled. He has little knowledge of the world, a character should not be perfect all the time.

The whole shopping experience was detailed in the book.He bought it from a classy establishment that normally only nobility can even enter, thanks to the medallion he got from the Duke. I think that's the only time it's come up since he got it, so they might as well have left it out of the anime altogether.. although I don't recall the coat really getting much mention after the fact either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cfalcon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Even as someone who devours isekai manga as a guilty pleasure, this anime is poorly animated, lacks unique world-building, and features one-dimensional, bland characters. OP main characters don't necessarily doom a show (The Irregular at Magic High School was more entertaining, if not deeply profound), but unfortunately, this anime has minimal redeeming qualities.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
meiam wrote:
Without struggle there's no story or character growth, drama or tension and the show need to entirely revert to something else (great animation, good comedy, or as I'm sure we'll see more over the next few week fan service).

You have never in your life seen an slice of life series, have you?

There's conflict in slice-of-life stories.
It could be totally mundane like arguing over what a friend's birthday party should look like, or someone you love getting into an accident and having to deal with the fact that they might not be there for you anymore. Or even just trying to get the class to work together in order to help with the school festival. Hell, even a break-up could serve as conflict.
There needs to be some sort of conflict to keep the story interesting, or people will stop watching.
However, Smartphone is just...there I guess. It's like watching paint dry, or eating cardboard.

Last edited by PotatoGirl on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Touya does try to bring up the point that Yumina barely knows him enough to marry him, but that gets handwaved away by revealing that her heterochromia gives her ‘mystic eyes of intuition’ that let her see into someone's soul and judge their character. (You have to assume she just wasn't paying attention all those times she talked with the Count who tried to poison her dad.)

To be fair to the source (which also mentions in passing that her heterochromia is unrelated to her mystic eyes), it points out that she knows that Balsa has a bad character, but you can't just go around convicting people for that alone and that dealing with and making use of people like that is part of running a kingdom.

Quote:
For a brief moment, it looks like he might have to prove his worth in some magic-tiger-fight or something, but no, he just pets the kitty and it's all his.

My attention was drifting rather by this point in the episode, but his trial was to pour mana into Kohaku until either Kohaku was satisfied or Touya collapsed (in the LN it was Kohaku who collapsed instead). This is the point when he discovers both the depths of his mana reserves and his mana recovery rate (which is enough that he can keep Kohaku permanently summoned, which people can't normally do even for less demanding summons due to the mana cost).

Now if you'll excuse me, I just remembered I never did finish reading the latest part release of volume 4 (I only got a quarter of the way through before spraining my eyes by rolling them too hard).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's like an episode of Detective Conan where he didn't even have to try.

If it were an episode of Conan, the police would have solved it already, at least that the diplomat didn't do it. Poisoning is fairly common in the show and testing the contents for poison seems to be standard procedure, and if he wasn't wearing gloves, his fingerprints would be all over the glasses. Actually poisoning the glass to frame the one responsible for its contents is pretty common even outside of Conan (there was an episode of Archer with a similar plot line.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we had to cross a line at some point, and predictably, this is it. Even Touya is taken aback by Princess Yumina's proposal, finally managing to display an emotion stronger than mild bemusement. It's all good though, because the girl's father happily explains that getting married at twelve is perfectly fine thing in this totally credible fantasy world

Ah, the real world human trope of appyling 'modern' moral and societal norms to a fictional piece set in a medieval fantasy world, even though real world historical medieval society had such things happening. History is evil, so we must change the past to reflect modern life.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing a series like this can exist after KonoSuba and Re:Zero. I thought the first episode was inoffensive enough with winks to how silly the situation was. But turned out that I was actually completely misreading how dryly it was following the genre templates. I should have been clued in when the main character got his Kirito jacket.

But these week has finally produced one groan too many. The whole "mystery" was a bad start, but the subsequent royal engagment and summoning the best monster ever. That's it, I can't even enjoy this on an ironic level anymore.

I was cynical when this series was described as this season's Handshakers, but it's pretty just as bad, just in different ways. Whereas Handshakers tries hard and fails harder, this just doesn't even bother.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
meiam wrote:
Without struggle there's no story or character growth, drama or tension and the show need to entirely revert to something else (great animation, good comedy, or as I'm sure we'll see more over the next few week fan service).

You have never in your life seen an slice of life series, have you?

There's conflict in slice-of-life stories.

No, not really, Slice of Life is defined by being just like our real lives, of course there are "conflicts" in our average real life, but most of the time it is nothing like the conflicts we are used to seeing in a work of fiction, otherwise it becomes a Drama. There are of course, over reaching themes, whether this series has one or not is too soon to see, since it is at the end of the season of a SoL series when we might see them.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

No, not really, Slice of Life is defined by being just like our real lives, of course there are "conflicts" in our average real life, but most of the time it is nothing like the conflicts we are used to seeing in a work of fiction, otherwise it becomes a Drama. There are of course, over reaching themes, whether this series has one or not is too soon to see, since it is at the end of the season of a SoL series when we might see them.

Even in those stories though, they make the characters interesting enough to watch. We see they have their own likes and dislikes, their own problems, their own routines, and their own lives. Touya is, simply put, not an interesting character to watch. He is perfect in every way (at least so far), making him impossible to relate to and empathize with.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Ah, the real world human trope of appyling 'modern' moral and societal norms to a fictional piece set in a medieval fantasy world, even though real world historical medieval society had such things happening. History is evil, so we must change the past to reflect modern life.

This show is not a documentary nor was it written in medieval times. When an author who lives in modern times writes in a 12-year-old bride in his wish fulfillment series, it is done for the people that live in the real world that like the idea of a 12-year-old bride and it should obviously be judged with modern morals.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Touya is, simply put, not an interesting character to watch.

Some heavy projection there. I understand some people do not think this series is worth their while, but for many others it is. Just because I do not think Justin Beiber is worthwhile does not mean he does not have a following.The comparison is adequate since I have a feel females are the ones off put by this slice of life series.

Quote:
He is perfect in every way (at least so far), making him impossible to relate to and empathize with.

At least I do not need to self insert to feel a series is interesting. I would not go as far as saying our MC is perfect, more like he is carefree, like some people in our world born with a silver spoon in their mouths.But every episode the world continues to evolve around Touya so I will keep watching.
Taifood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
This show isn't even trying to cover its own ass in the OP protag department. It's shamelessly making Touya more and more OP each episode.

This is becoming an ironic comedy. Well, at least I'll get enjoyment out of laughing at it.
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Panayiotis wrote:
This show is not a documentary nor was it written in medieval times. When an author who lives in modern times writes in a 12-year-old bride in his wish fulfillment series, it is done for the people that live in the real world that like the idea of a 12-year-old bride and it should obviously be judged with modern morals.

Leaving aside the debatable question of how much time the audience spends in the real world, this is a fantasy romcom twist on Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee novel. It's a romp, not a politcal treatise. Judging it by your idea of societal norms is silly if only because there are still many parts of the world today where child marriage is considered normal. What happened to celebrating cultural diversity? As to the wish-fulfillment claim, you apparently missed the fact that Touya is clearly not interested in the princess romantically or sexually.
PotatoGirl wrote:
There needs to be some sort of conflict to keep the story interesting, or people will stop watching.
However, Smartphone is just...there I guess. It's like watching paint dry, or eating cardboard.

Funny, I would have thought having the king lean on you to marry his too-young-for-you daughter would count as an emotional conflict. I think it was Touya's spit take that tipped me off.

Listen, if you find OP MCs annoying, I can't argue the point. (Ditto for the jarring and rushed presentation of the first three episodes.) However, Touya has already shown weaknesses so far such as being nice to the point of being a pushover and rushing to do the right thing before he fully knows what's going on. This episode's poisoning reveal also shows he can be a show off at times. And in the LNs at least, spoiler[he can be semi-ruthless in responding to threats or disrespect to his friends.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Panayiotis wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

The glories of censorship. We are no longer allowed to include the bad things of the past in modern writings, even if they take place in a fictional past or alt past.

I am just saying that it shouldn't unexpected or unrealistic for a medieval set piece to feature such things. Our society is so perverse in its aversion to featuring harm to children, that they would gladly "pretend" that such things didn't happen in the past and be willing to censor the past to reflect that mindset. Much like the clamor over Made in Abyss.
cutslo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Except this show is not set in the past, or even an universe that aspires to internal logic of any kind, it's set in the author's wet dreams. That is completely obvious 100% of the time and pretending that this is the one specific point that is there for "realism" is laughable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12