• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloomberg: Sony Pictures Weighs Bidding on Funimation Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
dcmc: They don't have to be as big as Marvel and Lucasfilm. But they have significant market share on par with Avengers and Star Wars with DB alone.

One-eye: A company like Sony would get its stock artificially inflated after axing anyone who was remotely helpful in contributing to FUNi's success. Or maybe they'd try to apply Aniplex pricing to that library, even though they know it'd alienate regular consumers, because they think they can get away with it, since people pay for Aniplex shows, regardless of the price. Uni, OTOH, would probably want to mine the live-action rights to FUNi's anime IPs.

angel: Yeah, they might be confusing Bandai Visual with Bandai Entertainment, the latter company which actually *was* a significant force in the North American market.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Random Name wrote:
But they do go back and fix dubs for home release...
I've heard they can do that, but I've not fount any examples where they've done, can you share some?

For series that have censorship, I try to wait for the home video release to be posted for subscribers. I don't recall hearing the infamous "gamer gate" line from the broadcast dub (as they were still calling them when it aired) anywhere in the dub when I viewed the series.

With them keeping the voice actors busy these days, it isn't as if they typically would have to call them in for a special session.

matt78 wrote:

Wouldn't they add the updated dubs to their website though? Sounds like you would have to watch the rushed simidub and then rewatch it again sometime in the future for the fixed dub.

Yes, you would.

Basically, you would have to decide if you "want it now", or want the final version. If you want the latter, you can either watch both, or like the old days, wait.

Normally I'm not that picky about waiting for the final release unless it is something that had a significant amount of broadcast censorship, or I haven't gotten around to watching it and the home video release is already scheduled.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Random Name wrote:
But they do go back and fix dubs for home release...
I've heard they can do that, but I've not fount any examples where they've done, can you share some?

With the Prison School dub, they changed Colleen Clinkenbeard's line "Or are you just one of those Gamergate freak shows?" to "Or is that just a pathetic attempt at talking to an older woman?" for the home media release, after a bunch of people blew their stacks, and also added in the word "f*ck". Also, with the Noragami Aragoto dub, Shelby Lindley reprised her role from Season 1 for home media after Caitlin Glass had to fill in for her, and I'd imagine the same will happen for Sonny Strait with MHA and for Travis Willingham with D,Gray-man Hallow.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
@TheAncientOne
@Gemnist
Thank you both
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

What? If Funimation ceased to exist it would be a huge loss for the anime industry in North America and parts of Europe. I don't have the numbers, but it NA alone they have to control 45-55% of the market. I would argue that Funimation's brand recognition helps the Japanese industry as a whole.

Losing Bandai Visual USA/Entertainment ended up not being such a huge deal because Funimation, the emerging Sentai and Crunchyroll did a great filling in. I get that you dislike Funimation dubs, but saying that Funimation would not be terribly missed by fans and the industry because their dubs suck is RIDICULOUS.

The bold I have an issue with you claiming. It would be a big blow to America, sure, but would it be as big of a blow to, say, Canada? I don't think so. I'd argue Bandai closing up their doors had a bigger impact on the Canadian anime scene. Sure, we've got companies like Bushiroad who dub Vanguard and Buddyfight at Ocean/Blue Water consistently but who else? Outside of things that happen rarely (Read Roberta's Blood Trail and CR's Gintama dub,) we rarely get shows dubbed up here. Most of the dubbing right now is US-Based which is kind of a problem when you want to get things on TV up here on Canada. As Bandai dubbed a large majority of shows at Ocean/Blue Water, they could technically qualify as CanCon so that gave channels incentives to air anime and what not, as it was Cancon, despite being animated elsewhere.

Unlike the US right now, we actually don't have any channel airing anime at all, outside of toyetic series like YuGiOh and Pokemon. I don't even think Buddyfight's airing right now either (as it used to have a spot on Teletoon)

A company controlling 45 to 55% of a market is sure as hell not a good thing either. That's how crashes happen.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Sony Pictures is without a doubt the worst movie company in the world right now they can't make a profit or a half decent movie to save there lives which is LITERALLY what it has come down to for them. Rolling Eyes

Thank god then that Sony picture also owns numerous TV stations around the world and produces TV shows as well.

Days of Our Lives
The Young and the Restless
Wheel of Fortune
Jeopardy!
Robot Chicken
Shark Tank
The Blacklist
The Goldbergs
Better Call Saul
Preacher

Are just some of the ongoing TV shows by Sony not to mention there huge back library.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

What? If Funimation ceased to exist it would be a huge loss for the anime industry in North America and parts of Europe. I don't have the numbers, but it NA alone they have to control 45-55% of the market. I would argue that Funimation's brand recognition helps the Japanese industry as a whole.

Losing Bandai Visual USA/Entertainment ended up not being such a huge deal because Funimation, the emerging Sentai and Crunchyroll did a great filling in. I get that you dislike Funimation dubs, but saying that Funimation would not be terribly missed by fans and the industry because their dubs suck is RIDICULOUS.

The bold I have an issue with you claiming. It would be a big blow to America, sure, but would it be as big of a blow to, say, Canada? I don't think so. I'd argue Bandai closing up their doors had a bigger impact on the Canadian anime scene. Sure, we've got companies like Bushiroad who dub Vanguard and Buddyfight at Ocean/Blue Water consistently but who else? Outside of things that happen rarely (Read Roberta's Blood Trail and CR's Gintama dub,) we rarely get shows dubbed up here. Most of the dubbing right now is US-Based which is kind of a problem when you want to get things on TV up here on Canada. As Bandai dubbed a large majority of shows at Ocean/Blue Water, they could technically qualify as CanCon so that gave channels incentives to air anime and what not, as it was Cancon, despite being animated elsewhere.

Unlike the US right now, we actually don't have any channel airing anime at all, outside of toyetic series like YuGiOh and Pokemon. I don't even think Buddyfight's airing right now either (as it used to have a spot on Teletoon)

A company controlling 45 to 55% of a market is sure as hell not a good thing either. That's how crashes happen.

If no one was interested in running 98 completed episodes of Dragon Ball Kai with a Canadian English dub, no broadcaster would be interested in other non-toyline anime.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
angel: Yeah, they might be confusing Bandai Visual with Bandai Entertainment, the latter company which actually *was* a significant force in the North American market.

Yeah, all BVUSA had that was major was Blu-ray rights for Akira and that got released at the same time as Japan and after both companies had already merged.

Gemnist wrote:
Also, with the Noragami Aragoto dub, Shelby Lindley reprised her role from Season 1 for home media after Caitlin Glass had to fill in for her, and I'd imagine the same will happen for Sonny Strait with MHA and for Travis Willingham with D,Gray-man Hallow.

Oh really? That makes what they did with Yuki-chan even more terrible then because there was an episode where Bridget Hoffman no-showed and someone else filled in for her, this was never fixed on the home release (which is one of many issues I have with that Haruhi UCE set).
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The thing I find utterly hilarious about all this is the fact that Comcast might (or could) be in the biddings if FUNi ever did decide to to sell. The reason why it's funny though is because of FUNi's current relationship with Crunchyroll, which itself it half owned by AT&T.

We'll see what happens if anything ever materializes.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Chiyosuke wrote:
The thing I find utterly hilarious about all this is the fact that Comcast might (or could) be in the biddings if FUNi ever did decide to to sell. The reason why it's funny though is because of FUNi's current relationship with Crunchyroll, which itself it half owned by AT&T.

We'll see what happens if anything ever materializes.

It wouldn't be that surprising though - funny, but not surprising. Funimation does handle most of Universal-produced anime (e.g. Seraph of the End), and back when Universal's Geneon was still around, Funimation handled their home media just like with Crunchyroll today (e.g. Black Lagoon, Fate 2006).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation has a TON of control over the industry now, especially with their current partnership with Crunchyroll. Not to mention, their brand recognition is huge among American anime fans. It really would be a catastrophic loss to the industry if they went under. Bandai was a huge loss, but at the time of their closing, they had long shrunken to releasing just a couple big shows a year. If FUNi were ever to shrink like that, the loss would be about the same.

And of course, the quality of their dubs isn't what's at stake here. Like every company, it varies from show to show, and it's subjective anyway.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Sony kinda seems like a sinking ship recently...

If 60,000,000 sold PS4 is "sinking ship" to you, then how the hell would you describe Titanic?

But maybe I'm just a fanboy with my Sony flatscreen, Sony laptop, Sony cellphone, Sony headphones, CD's and Movies licensed by Sony. Freaking surrounded by Sony these days.
I agree that it can be annoying, but come on, if anything they are so high up in the sky that they get burned by the sun rather than sink.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
^ Sony Pictures is a sinking ship. The rest of Sony is doing just fine. Even Sony Corp. isn't happy with them, and might be considering selling them: http://variety.com/2017/biz/asia/sony-2016-17-results-1202402401/
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
While Sony has the money that could improve Funi sub/dub and home video qualities (as well as lessening region-locks), Sony Pictures' treatment of anime here is not very promising. I think it is 1 of those thing that is better in theory but not practice.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I want to say something about the whole celebrity thing. It doesn't matter to me WHO voices characters in a dub just as long as they do a good job. Look at the Disney-Ghibli dubs for instance. Those dubs use celebrities and are any of them bad dubs? In my honest opinion, no. But that's mainly because Miyazaki had close ties with John Lasseter at Disney, hence why they were dubbed well. Steamboy was not bad either considering Patrick Stewart was in it. To me celebrities don't make or break a dub as long as they perform well. I have no bias against celebrities, and I'm not against traditional voice actors. IMO, both can co-exist.

Now as far as this Sony buyout thing... I don't think we need to worry about it happening for right now. Funimation seems to be doing fine enough to not require such a buyout. I doubt anything will come of it. Let's not worry about it for now. I doubt Funimation will be interested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4