• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya in Gaza

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kei-clone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
it's so ironic how yesterday is supposedly "that day three years ago" according to Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu. Looks like we're already seeing the results.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
trust me, its nuts. but it depends on the person.

as for the "other" haruhi pic.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! THAT is hilarious. in terms of rationaliy, haruhi fujioka wins. but keep in mind, if she wanted to, haruhi suzumiya could actually give her breasts, or just turn her into a guy.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Although I don't think there's any 'deeper' meaning, I think it's pretty ignorant to claim that Haruhi was simply googled while they were looking for an image of a child. Why not choose a real life girl? Or any other number of less threatening anime girls? No, I'm sure they chose Haruhi because, as a fan, they wanted to simultaneously protest to the issue at hand while showing their support for the show. They could have chose any character, but I'd bet at least someone involved in making it was a fan and pushed this particular image, and I'd bet money that it is/was the girl holding the sign, with the way she is grinning and all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazami Mizuho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:

Even though Gaza is not in Iraq, people in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East were getting accuretly dubbed anime (in Arabic, of course) when the US fans were getting Warriors of the Wind.
There are more truly classic anime (Rose of Versaille, Future Boy Conan, Captain Tsubasa, World Masterpiece Theatre collection) dubbed in Iraq, Lebanon, and Kwait than we'll probably ever see in the US, which is a shame.

You are right, they started dubbin all the titles you mentioned + Ika no Kabamaru, Sindbad the Sailor ,UFO Robo Grandizer, Mazinger Z , Lady Lady + Alot of Shoujo anime into Arabic since 1979 .
I'm from Kuwait ( one of the Gulf countries ) & they were showin anime dubbed into Arabic since I was born 1985 ( & when I asked my mom she said it was around 1979) & since then almost more than 20 anime are being dubbed every year but alot of fans in Kuwait & other arabic countries are watchin anime in Japanese (sub Eng) & they are up to date with all the new anime , we are just like you guys lol , I guess some people are totally ignorant about the middle east Shocked
dormcat wrote:

Yesterday I visited some anime forum in Arabic. While I can't actually read them, many thread titles were written in English, and NANA, Death Note, Utawarerumono, Code Geass were all over the place, meaning they follow most current series (probably through fansub as well) just as we do, and users do post pictures of AIKa... Cool

Exactly Surprised
GATSU wrote:
Takavar: I thought shows which feature girls with short skirts would be banned over there.

No its not , romance movies & soap operas are not banned , same goes for anime Laughing If it was banned then how on earth did I watch Please Teacher ?
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow, who would have thought folks in 'Iraq' knew about "anime". Smile

Dude Iraq started dubbin anime since 1979 Laughing
IvoryBirch wrote:
I thought Islam was against visual depictions of God... Wink

Each religion has alot of forbidden stuff not only Islam Razz
& I do watch alot of anime that involves Gods , I even bought the 4 gods figures Suzaku , Seiryu , Byakko & Genbu by the time I watched Fushigi Yugi , I dont think that would make me a sinner Cool again with having the wrong idea about us Laughing
MekkZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
It's no question that the situation in Gaza, Iraq and many other parts of the Middle East is out of control, and almost everyone who lives in those different regions live with the threat of terrorism and war on a daily basis, and that seperates those us who live here in the states and elsewhere.

But I'd like to think that maybe because things like Anime have come to be appreciated the world over, might mean that there's hope people can come together in understanding and be able to work out their differences without the help of sub-machine guns and laser guided aerial bombs. And help like that I think should be taken full advantage of - even if it comes in the form of a bright eyed girl in a Japanese school uniform who can't decide on which after school club to join. Wink

And hands out and thumbs up to our fellow Otaku in the Middle East.
Starakin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
People, get a magnifier and check it yourself. The saturation and resolution of Haruhi's poster and the overall image are way different. For example, you can see details of Haruhi's hair & clothes.
But can you even clearly see the eyes of the girl holding the sign? or the person's standing next to her....

in other words, PHOTOSHOPPED!

On one part of the world people are suffering and dying for one reason or another. Yet some low life is just using it for their amusement (hint: Haruhissim). Shame on them. Sadly few appear to be here, judging from several post(s) in this thread.

I never thought such thing would manage to fool you W-General Sad
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
that was mmy frist thought- the photoshopping.

But didn't they get this from a newspaper or at least a news website?
Wouldn't the picutre have been taken by a photographer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Starakin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
I see your point. If we check Yahoo! News for example, there is always a reputable source mentioned such as CNN, Reuters, ESPN, etc.
In AFP case it's credited for "MAHMUD HAMS" (who is that person?). He could be the one responsible, or maybe an AFP editor's prank (my guess lies here), in the end the article doesn't mention anything even remotely related to anime/cosplay/Haruhi.

Since I'm replying let's add this to my previous post regarding the photo: a sign that's *lousily* hand written with a paint brush containing a printed CG from the amidst of Otaku planet. Something is certainly suspicious Rolling Eyes
Vir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Although I don't think there's any 'deeper' meaning, I think it's pretty ignorant to claim that Haruhi was simply googled while they were looking for an image of a child. Why not choose a real life girl?.

What makes a better image when what you have is a black-and-white printer?

I think a principal feature of this image is that Haruhi is wagging her finger in it. A child wagging her finger at the camera. There aren't so many children wagging fingers to find in the image search. A lot of Stephen Colbert though. So she isn't just any child. She's a cute character, perfect for telling off those Hamas gunmen.

Still, I never discounted that there might be an anime watcher involved. My point was that the little girl didn't make that poster all on her own.

What would really rule, is if you people who speak Arabic check the Arabic anime forums and put a request out about how the image found its way to the poster. That would be a neat little news story, which could also put some perspective of our exaggerated views of the conflicts that we are fed daily.
Vallen Chaos Valiant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:36 am Reply with quote
Starakin wrote:
I see your point. If we check Yahoo! News for example, there is always a reputable source mentioned such as CNN, Reuters, ESPN, etc.
In AFP case it's credited for "MAHMUD HAMS" (who is that person?). He could be the one responsible, or maybe an AFP editor's prank (my guess lies here), in the end the article doesn't mention anything even remotely related to anime/cosplay/Haruhi.

Since I'm replying let's add this to my previous post regarding the photo: a sign that's *lousily* hand written with a paint brush containing a printed CG from the amidst of Otaku planet. Something is certainly suspicious Rolling Eyes

If you type his name up in Google, you would immediately realise he is a genuine photographer-journalist in the middle-east.
http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=10308
Quote:
Mahmoud Hams was shot in the left thigh while taking photos of young Palestinians throwing stones at soldiers, during an Israeli Army incursion into the central Gaza town of Deir Al-Balah. He was also injured by shrapnel in his right thigh and was being treated at Deir Al-Balah hospital. Late on 5 May doctors said his condition was stable.

A man who would risk his life to take photos, isn't the type who would doctor images at the price of losing his reputation. Agence France-Presse is where he works, and Mahmoud Hams takes photos for a living. This is no laughing matter; you are accusing him of fraud.

Oh, and Agence France-Presse has been around since 1835. Just because the source isn't American doesn't mean it is unreliable.
Vir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote
The chance of this being an AFP prank converges to zero.

We've seen a lot of Pallywood going on lately, also in Lebanon, where photographers have photoshopped and helped stage scenes. There were even cases where the photographers were honest, but where their editors back in Europe and the United States totally changed photo captions into lies. Still, in those cases their wrongdoing served their story and propaganda purposes. Are you suggesting that the photographer or the site where the photo is on could be such big Harutards that they'd risk their jobs and reputations in exchange for Haruhism or some marketing money? If you do, you'd better back it up.

There are very few cases of regular media participating in pranks outside of April 1st. And to do so to promote a commercial product would be a killing blow. If it had only been to support terrorism in order to get access to sources and be safe from beheadings, that would be another more minor thing.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
My "they probably just googled up an image" wasn't saying they don't watch anime--I lived in India for a while, and they had anime, so it doesn't surprise me that they would in Gaza, either (although Gaza and India are really vastly different, but...well, you know what I mean). It was more just....I have a hard time thinking "Oh, I'm a fan of this anime, so I'll slap it onto a sign protesting the murder of innocent children". Could be a cultural thing, but I'd almost find that a little offensive.

(That being said, I did once use a picture of Orcs on a poster for a school report to stand in for a "blood-thirsty mob", but it was a history report on an event that happened 200 years ago, so it was slightly different. ^^; )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
Last thing Haruhi fans need is more fuel for their fire, especially when it somewhat makes light of such a negative situation in such a volatile region of the world. It's just an anime, seriously, it's good but it's not that good and this is just going a bit far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Starakin wrote:
a sign that's *lousily* hand written with a paint brush containing a printed CG from the amidst of Otaku planet. Something is certainly suspicious Rolling Eyes

*shrug* The girl probably asked her teacher to print out the pic, sticked it onto her sign, wrote her message onto it as lousily as kids do, and was happy. What do you expect?

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Could be a cultural thing, but I'd almost find that a little offensive.

I don't understand. Offensive against whom? You? The killed children? The anime industry? Isn't it quite normal that cartoon characters are used in campaigns that are in some way related to children? And BTW, could it be that a girl of her age simply doesn't think in categories like "offensive"?
Vir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
I don't get the "offensive" bit either. It's a lot more appropriate than sticking Bert from Sesame Street on a bin Laden poster, or using Akira for propaganda in Bosnia. This is actually a good cause: "Don't kill children".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6