• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Keyakizaka46 Idol Group Members' Nazi-Like Costumes Raise Eyebrows

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
This is why it is dangerous for ANN to run these politically-related news stories. However, at least we have been keeping it somewhat civil thus far.
MugenSetsuna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
Oh, who cares, get over it! It shouldn't matter. Let them do what they want to do. I can guarantee you anyone seeing it has never actually been around long enough to be so reactive. It's a costume. End of story.
southplumb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
I guess the costumes aren't that close to Nazi uniforms but were they meant to appear Nazi-like to people who haven't looked carefully at historical uniforms? Whether it is the case here or not, there does seem to be a lot of glorification of Nazi Germany in Japan and the US, compared to glorification of opponents like the Soviets, Maoist China, the DPRK etc. Nazi Germany might be portrayed in fiction as evil to some extent, but they are also portrayed as efficient and intelligent, though they were completely defeated after several years because of their own mistakes and built on a base created by Weimar Germany. It could just be that Nazis are easy to dislike and were soundly defeated in a romanticized war (and in the case of Japan, they were allies, and the US is their new ally and can't be criticized heavily), and the Cold War and now a new "cold war" is too recent and not romanticized, but sometimes it seems like glorification, and that might be why Nazi symbols and ideas are somewhat common in the US, even if real neo-Nazis aren't. Consider all of the tattoos, graffiti, historical flags for sale, praise of Nazi Germany in schools and online, etc. In some ways Nazi symbols are used as a symbol of rebellion. The Soviets/Russians, Koreans, etc. are also used as villains and could be glorified too sometimes, but the stereotypes associated with them are often not about strength or skill, though they were more successful in war and peace than the Nazis, despite Germany having the advantage of advanced industry and an educated workforce. Or compare the depictions of Nazi Germany and militarist Japan in fiction.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
Oh wow is it ever getting 2016 in this thread.

Zweitestshall wrote:
...Some? Laughing Laughing Laughing. They were all JEWS, man.

... Jews:

Rabbi: The Hitler's hate against jews wasn't without reason:

JEWISH...

...Jewish...

Jews .... Jewish .... Jewish

Jewish nation, ...

...Jews ...

Jews vs jews and white christian people dying. ...jews ...jewish... jew... jew...

Today much is said about "white supremacy", but nothing about jewish supremacy.

Jews have blood in their hands... the alleged Holocaust... JEWISH

...jewish communism.

[Extraneous content mostly removed to distill the post down to the heart of its message.]

What's the next level up from 'erring toward unease'.

Zweitestshall wrote:
...Btw, I bet my comment will be censored for saying things that everyone needs to hear and can find from primary sources. Rolling Eyes

There are few surer hallmarks that somebody is a jackass spewing intellectual sewerage than this kind of pre-emptive declaration of persecution.

Zweitestshall wrote:
...And I will be called antisemite even though this means nothing since semite is a term for people or cultures who speak or spoke the Semitic languages (muslims and all arabs are semites too).

That is not how language works. You don’t get to magic away a word, much less a concept, with some weirdly self-serving nonsense rule that you made up.

Could you, and everybody like you, just go away... I mean from humanity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
If the United States can have Hogan's Heroes in the Sixties and Seventies, a Japanese Idol group can wear military cloaks in 2016. Japan doesn't have to bow down to America's neo PC culture.

Hogan's Heroes was a comedy that deliberately made the Nazis look buffoonish and mocked them. Most of the significant Nazi characters were played by Jews. I see not even rudimentary satiric intent or any awareness at all here, which is why I err toward unease.

And cut it out with the asinine moaning about, "PC culture." The only problem there ever truly is with 'PC' is that it's not your politics. It's a line of rhetoric that frequently depends upon the unexamined assumptions of those making it.

I have never felt entirely comfortable with the contemporary social justice movement, which I believe is terrible at promoting its message and more susceptible to human vices of 'them' versus 'us' than its adherents appreciate, but my distaste for it is mitigated I am reminded of what's on the other side.

It was still a mainstream comedy taking place in NAZI Germany, with NAZI soldiers. Such a TV comedy show could not be made today, because of our current PC culture.

And if the United States can make a comedy taking place in Germany with NAZI soldiers, then there should be no problem with a bunch of Japanese Idol singers wearing military garb that is reminiscent of NAZI military dress.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
@Zweitestshall - You created a second account because we weren't approving the posts on your first account. You are soapboxing and trolling, and I have deleted your most recent post and put this account on moderation as well.

Also, this thread has been derailing for a while, so I'm just going to lock it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4