• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Unless Funimation starts to give a crap about Latin America I don't really care about this
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
There's only one thing I want: FUNI, STOP USING HARDSUBS!!!

Arent they softsubs, at least the funi shows moved over to CR today.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
So all those dub announcements that CR made at AnimeExpo are basically going to Funi?

Someone said earlier that this make Sentai's job a little harder in the license game. Include Viz too. It just feels like a mini monopoly that might look bad in the future.

Basically, yes. The partnership has Funi doing dubs and physical releases, so anything CR might have been looking to do in that regard would be handled by the partner that is already established in both areas.

I don't think that Viz will be as hard hit by this as Sentai might be. Viz isn't as active in anime as the other companies are, and they've even explained on ANN that they are a manga company primarily, with anime being secondary. Viz probably won't be looking to expand their anime side anytime soon, but they weren't especially aggressive before. Sentai, on the other hand, only does anime, and now clearly won't be doing any dubs and/or physical releases of show CR licenses. Throw in that CR and Funi are pooling licensing resources to compete with companies like Amazon, and I have to think they'll be left to choose from shows that nobody else wanted.
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
What about Re:Zero and 91 days? Is Funimation getting the home rights to these as well?
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This could also lower prices in bidding wars? Since Crunchy and Funi no longer have to fight over shows. Agreeing to just split the pie might be better financially depending how much they save not scrapping over shows.
Even though I have subscriptions to both Crunchyroll's just a nicer site so the more I can watch on it the better.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
What about Re:Zero and 91 days? Is Funimation getting the home rights to these as well?

Oh man I hope so. Look what Funimation did with Baccano.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
MatrixGravity wrote:

If Funimation dubs 91 Days, it's gonna be fantastic. Baccano had such a great dub. <3
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
niastyle wrote:
I can't control the giddiness! I'm soo excited! This is the best news I've had all week. I'm especially happy about the english dubs of some of my favorite Crunchyroll titles like Berserk, 91 Days, and Orange.
CR had already made plans to dub Berserk, along with some other titles like Gintama, I think they've even started already, based on what I heard on another thread.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:

If Funimation dubs 91 Days, it's gonna be fantastic. Baccano had such a great dub. <3

I desperately want a similar cast for 91 Days. With Bryan Massey, who played Ladd Russo, as Fango.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Aniplex USA is completely unaffected by this, AoA pretty much only licenses/releases anime made A-1 pictures, (considering they are the parent company after all)

Just a clarification. A-1 Pictures is indeed owned by Aniplex/Sony, but the studio also produces anime for other production companies besides Aniplex. Thus A-1 Pictures anime frequently is licensed by other publishers not named Aniplex USA. For example, From the New World and Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash are licensed by Sentai and Funimation respectively.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Come on did you not read the article where it says 91 days is BEING dubbed"?

FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of some of Crunchyroll's summer simulcast titles, including: 91 Days,
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Come on did you not read the article where it says 91 days is BEING dubbed"?

FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of some of Crunchyroll's summer simulcast titles, including: 91 Days,

I just want a hard copy of these shows, not necessarily interested in dubs.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:
Aniplex USA is completely unaffected by this, AoA pretty much only licenses/releases anime made A-1 pictures, (considering they are the parent company after all)

Just a clarification. A-1 Pictures is indeed owned by Aniplex/Sony, but the studio also produces anime for other production companies besides Aniplex. Thus A-1 Pictures anime frequently is licensed by other publishers not named Aniplex USA. For example, From the New World and Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash are licensed by Sentai and Funimation respectively.

If only Aniplex/Sony would fix the Blood+ license limbo by the way.... I want it on DVD!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit.

Didn't see that coming.

Greed1914 wrote:
Also, upon reading the blog post on Funi's site, they say that subbed versions of shows will be migrating over to CR. Maybe I'm misreading, but is it the case that basically viewers will go to CR to watch subs and Funimation only for dubbed content?

Yeah, this is kind of weird, bizarre, and interesting at the same time.

v1cious wrote:

That was such a great dub!

TheMorry wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
So all of CR's licenses will be getting dubbed in Texas instead of spicing it up and going all over the place? Great.

This is what we call a monopoly and its absolute garbage.

A few broadcast dubs have been recorded in LA thanks to Todd home studio. I disagree with you.

Reading this... im shocked... this partnership sounds really amazing. I think they were working on this for a longer time now. Considering funimation dubbed S1 of Free despite not having the license.

More weekly dubs? YES!

Agreed.

But yeah, given that this will expand the simulcast selection they have to choose from I can understand being curious how they will mix it up to keep the casts fresh (and that example you gave is something that helps) and if the shows announced as getting new dubs by CR back at that convention was because this deal was already in place.

One interesting thing is that if so then Kabaneri might indeed be being dubbed by Funi (and getting a home blu-ray) like I'd hoped (though that was as a simuldub) back just before it was announced that it was picked up by Amazon which made me wonder if it'd even get a dub or a blu-ray LOL.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
That's an interesting -- and bold -- move, but because of what I assume due to the licencing contracts, it isn't likely to be expended to other territories. At least not in the foreseeable future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13