• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Brave Mew World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
The question about bad reputations hurting careers makes me think of Shirobako and Jiggly Jiggly Heaven.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
People still talk about 4Kids because its missteps were seemingly inept and thus hilarious. It makes for good stories both for in-joke laughs and cautionary tales.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Their dubs were great at casting distinct, memorable voices, even if they overdid it sometimes. They kinda ruined the reputation of the New York voice acting scene for a while as a result, undeservingly so, because it had so many talented people like Veronica Taylor, Dan Green, Rachael Lillis, Wayne Grayson, Eric Stuart, Megan Hollingshead, Scottie Ray, Lisa Ortiz, Marc Diraison, James Carter Cathcart, Maddie Blaustein, and Marc Thompson.

Indeed. These voice actors are quite talented and knew had to add punch to their lines. They're all respectable in their own right. Save for Maddie Blaustein's passing, Megan seems to be the only one taking voice work in recent anime and games, and the only one of their crew I hear in anything these days. Do you know what are the rest up to?

Quote:
The only dub I can think of that has such a strong negative reception is DiC's Sailor Moon.

In all honesty, I never hated the DiC dub of Sailor Moon. I found it actually quite fun and creative when they chose to get creative and add lines that were seemingly different from the intended ones. In fact, I found it made the results quite a bit livelier. The new dub from Viz is accurate to translation of course, but I don't find it as entertaining as the DiC dub. I know I'll be hit with gunfire for that saying that, but it's just how I feel.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I just think it's about time we moved on.

Response from those folks: "Nooooooo, we need to keep insulting them. It's the hip thing to do!"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
It isn't anything much, but the PUSA dub of Pokémon has a number of the former 4Kids voice actors back, albeit with different roles. There are also cases like Sean Schemmel, who gets the distinction of getting to voice in both adaptations of One Piece (Wapol in the 4Kids version, Indigo in the FUNimation version).

Speaking of One Piece, it's a series that's still strongly associated with 4Kids, and alongside Yu-Gi-Oh!, is responsible for people continuing to mention 4Kids. Some don't even know that FUNimation is handling it now and, not knowing 4Kids went bankrupt, think it's still in charge of the dub.

That is, a lot of this continued 4Kids bashing is blind and uninformed. Sometimes, I think it's an excuse not to watch anything dubbed too, as I sometimes hear people saying that they don't trust any dubs considering what 4Kids had done.

Kadmos1 wrote:
An impact that 4Kids has had is that shows like Pokemon was the first anime to many American anime fans. Believe it or not, there are some people that prefer certain voices in the 4Kids One Piece to the Funi One Piece. A reason could be that they may well be very well aware of the censoring but they prefer the voices from a nostalgic angle.

I've been hearing an increasing amount of that lately. It's pretty weird to hear, and certainly the guys on The One Piece Podcast are baffled by it too.

SahgoDN wrote:
About the 4Kids hate, one thing I need to stress is that, other than One Piece, their "work" is still felt by fans of the other series. I mean, if you're a Tokyo Mew Mew fan or a Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters fan or a Sonic X fan and wants a nice, faithful (non-Animax) English dub of those shows, you're out of luck. It's not like Streamline releases that are mostly redubbed -- 4Kids's handprint just won't go away.

Regarding Sonic X, the Sonic fanbase grew incredibly attached to the 4Kids voices in the video games. Roger Craig Smith (current voice of Sonic) sometimes talks about how he frequently gets violent threats from people who want Jason Griffith back (Griffith being 4Kids's voice of Sonic). Cindy Robinson still gets a ton of grief as the current voice of Amy Rose from fans who keep comparing her unfavorably to Lisa Ortiz. Heck, the fans rejoiced when Mike Pollock got to keep voicing Dr. Eggman. (This being Sonic though, you also have people who want Brian Drummond and company back, and you have a few REALLY nostalgic holdouts who want Jaleel White back.)

There's also the Pokémon anime, which is a firestorm of a conflict among its fans with the overwhelmingly majority considering the PUSA dub a step down from the 4Kids dub.

Divineking wrote:
Honestly I don't think OP would have ever caught on here in the same way Naruto and DBZ did even if it had been brought over less butchered in the beginning. Both Naruto and DBZ have a kind of "cool things" look/vibe to them since they're shows about ninjas and non-stop fights which I imagine is a lot more appealing to kids than cartoony looking pirates (before anyone crucifies me I'm a One Piece fan much more than either of those two shows). Aside from the Pirates of the Carribean franchise pirates have never really been a mainstream thing here in the same way stuff like ninjas are. Mind you it might have fared slightly better over all in intially better hands but probably not to that large an extent.

From what I hear from people as another One Piece fan, the biggest turnoff by a long shot is the art style. I haven't been able to get good responses beyond that, but my best guess is that One Piece, especially early into the series, does not look quite as "anime" as Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, or Bleach.

That is, it's too different from a westerner's idea of anime, and thus it doesn't meet expectations from these people. You will find a lot of One Piece fans who got into the series in spite of its art style and grew to like its storytelling and characters. (Me, I went into it because I liked Eiichiro Oda's art style. I'm just weird like that, I guess.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
As far as the 4Kids hate, I wonder if some (not all) of it is because of Little Kuriboh's Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series. It's a pretty popular show and pokes fun at 4Kids quite a bit.

No, no, the 4Kids hate dates back to the (pre-CN) days when your anime had "arrived" if it showed on afternoon syndication.
Even knowing that it wouldn't arrive on afternoon syndication unless it was a toy-marketable Poke-clone, and would be localized to take any foreign taint out of it. (Like Cardcaptors.)

well there was a silver lining at least for the Canadian company corus who owns nelvana. if it wasnt the mess that 4kids made, they would have been the most hated instead for their abomination treatment of card captor sakura. while NIS have released an unedited dub version, unfortunately its the very bad and mediocre Animax Asia who have a rep of releasing dubs that are as bad if not even worse than 4kids.

Justin Sevakis wrote:
4Kids went bankrupt back in 2011, and once they emerged from bankruptcy a few years later, they re-incorporated themselves as 4Licensing, and have stayed well away from both the anime and children's entertainment worlds.

Not exactly. while the 4licensing have stayed away, however they along with konami reincorporated some of 4kids remnants to create the sister company of 4licensing called 4K media which did the dubs of Yugioh Zexal and as some people both suspect and feared, will be doing the dub version of Arc-V. which unfortunately have dashed any hopes of this or any YGO series getting an uncut english dub. though it will definitely make the fansub groups happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:17 am Reply with quote
I like 4Kids. I never really got the problem as their main shows still have names and performances that stand up to this day and they're fine for their target demographic. And then there's addition issues going on with their shows' original content.

Let's consider 4Kids main properties. There's the show about children's card games... to the death! Somehow, I guess? The enslavement of wildlife and their subsequent battling system. Gladiator, you know, for kids. And Pirates, that want to be Pirates that don't do anything Pirates do, you know, Pirate things like kidnapping, pillaging and so on. You know what I mean, it's not nice. Even Pirates of the Caribbean got that part right, well, they were stopped at "pillaging" but they wanted to get further than that but it's Disney, you know. But they at least got Tortuga somehow...

But these shows are shounen. To put it bluntly, meaning something that is for boys doesn't mean it for kids. Or more accurately, just because something is marketed to boys doesn't mean it's [/b]for[/b] kids or rather for kids groups that represent parents.

So the shows were changed and that's a "bad thing". No, they were changed and they became a national hit in spite of their changes and in many ways, YuGiOh especially, because of them. That's the problem.

I'll take HFIL over HELL any day of the week and "dying in the shadow realm" than dying in some Saw ripoff. Which one shows some imagination?

Wait, what was I talking about again? Why 4Kids is reviled by some present day shounen fans? Think about it, why should that production group even be remembered by an appropriate age demographic? Well, they're not the ones complaining because they supposedly grew up...
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Their dubs were great at casting distinct, memorable voices, even if they overdid it sometimes. They kinda ruined the reputation of the New York voice acting scene for a while as a result, undeservingly so, because it had so many talented people like Veronica Taylor, Dan Green, Rachael Lillis, Wayne Grayson, Eric Stuart, Megan Hollingshead, Scottie Ray, Lisa Ortiz, Marc Diraison, James Carter Cathcart, Maddie Blaustein, and Marc Thompson.

Indeed. These voice actors are quite talented and knew had to add punch to their lines. They're all respectable in their own right. Save for Maddie Blaustein's passing, Megan seems to be the only one taking voice work in recent anime and games, and the only one of their crew I hear in anything these days. Do you know what are the rest up to?

I know Lisa Ortiz is still somewhat active. I think mainly smaller roles and the one that comes to mind is Time of Eve (movie). Oh, looking her up she was at the last Otakon. The news release says:
Quote:
Her directing and producing work includes mobile games for The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3, and Littlest Pet Shop. She is President of Noise of O Productions, and currently resides in NYC, with her fabulous felines Fitz and Stan.
So it looks like she's still active, but not as much behind the mic.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
But, like Justin says, that's SO 90's.
It's one of those enemies fans keep having to dig up and fight again, because the funeral was just too short.

Properties like Digimon and Beyblade are still being done that way, sadly. Also the recent Doraemon attempt from Viz. And I heard YGO is still being done by 4K that way? Also 4kids-blaming is odd when Macek, Saban and Nelvana has been doign that before - and some of their versions have cult followings bigger than original versions...

belvadeer wrote:

Veronica Taylor is in the new SM dub. Some others still do Pokemon, I think? Even after voice change some of them reappeared in minor roles.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
And I heard YGO is still being done by 4K that way?

If this in-house English opening is anything to go by, yes.

Quote:
Also 4kids-blaming is odd when Macek, Saban and Nelvana has been doign that before - and some of their versions have cult followings bigger than original versions...

Traverse through certain areas of the Internet and you'll see that Carl Macek, Saban, and Nelvana are despised just as much.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Also the recent Doraemon attempt from Viz

Doraemon has negotiations dating back to Viz's connections with Shopro, but the dub was done by BangZoom.

But that's as illustrative textbook example as you can get of fans' 4Kids Trauma:
Even when it was first announced, before any clip had even been shown, fans were already in torch, pitchfork, Angry-Hitler video, and Change.org petition mode over so much as the news that
A) Disney was going to air it (ack! A mainstream company! They're SURE to betray us!), and
B) References were going to be (dun-dunn!) localized! Names would be westernized, references to vampires and crosses were going to be turned into vampires and garlic pizza (hence fans talking about the "Pizza Wars" over the Doraemon dub), and Shizuka's doll was going to be turned into a diary! And the signs were going to be in ENGLISH!

Never mind that the localizations were made by the Japanese company, in the interest of exporting their product--or the fact that the changes were seamless and the final product was pretty darn good and practically Viz-faithful for a mainstream kids' comedy---the fact that fans literally put it on the same enraged level as any Yu-Gi-Oh complaint before ever seeing a single episode wasn't so much about the show itself, so much as....the Ghoooost of 4Kiiiiids! (wooooo-OOOOO-ooooo!)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Outside of Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, there is very little anime to be recorded in NYC. However, original animation can help them get some work. I think that this is 1 reason why Veronica and Megan moved to LA.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
In defence of 4kids, the Japanese have been just as bad the other way around. Sure maybe not concentrated into one group but it's there. Changing characters' genders, dubbing over music, ignoring the source material, poor interpretations. It's all there, go find it. Unless you want me to list examples? Seriously though, why do we get upset at 4kids but not the other way around?
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
why do we get upset at 4kids but not the other way around?

Most of us are not in Japan watching American shows that have been dubbed into Japanese.
There is no reason for most of us here to get upset over what the Japanese do with foreign, to them, shows.

I have never gotten upset with 4kids myself, partly because I have not seen most of their shows.
I do wish that somebody else had licensed Tokyo Mew Mew and done a complete release of it. But that did not happen and I see no reason for me to get upset about it.
I actually like their release of Pokemon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I know Lisa Ortiz is still somewhat active. I think mainly smaller roles and the one that comes to mind is Time of Eve (movie). Oh, looking her up she was at the last Otakon. The news release says:
Quote:
Her directing and producing work includes mobile games for The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3, and Littlest Pet Shop. She is President of Noise of O Productions, and currently resides in NYC, with her fabulous felines Fitz and Stan.
So it looks like she's still active, but not as much behind the mic.

Ah that's cool. That does seem to be the case with some voice actors. They do more directing than actual voicing because their experience makes them pretty qualified for that role, although some manage to do both, like Kirk Thornton and Wendee Lee.

AtoMan wrote:
Veronica Taylor is in the new SM dub. Some others still do Pokemon, I think? Even after voice change some of them reappeared in minor roles.

Oh of course, can't believe I forgot the Viz dub Sailor Pluto announcement. As for the rest doing minor roles, I gave up Pokemon many years ago, so I wasn't aware.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
then some things might seriously disappear locked away in some vault somewhere. Crying or Very sad

In the modern world, nothing that can be digitized ever disappears or is locked into a vault somewhere. The producers and licensors know that just as well as you and I do.

Which only means, it might come back. Not that it will. There are plenty of live action movies that I have yet to see on Hulu or Netflix.

I think you will find, that as more and more anime come out, the older titles will slowly disappear. Some may reappear, but they too will eventually vanish.

Owning a physical copy or having a digital copy is the only way of ensuring you will be able to watch the show in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7