• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Host Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' Film's World Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
What's funny is that prior to the Naruto movie theater, the owner asked the audience about possible future anime movies if they prefer sub or dub, most shouted sub. Then when the owner mentioned the DBZ movie, everybody shouted dub. Laughing
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
What's funny is that prior to the Naruto movie theater, the owner asked the audience about possible future anime movies if they prefer sub or dub, most shouted sub. Then when the owner mentioned the DBZ movie, everybody shouted dub. Laughing

I think it's because of nostalgia, although unlike that guy in the first page, not all nostalgia is "bad". There are some good dubs that people like from the past, but DBZ was not one of them. That is nostalgia for something that doesn't hold up. Well, it never held up. It always sucked due to poor scripting, terrible, terrible replacement music and amateurish acting and it never really improved in the "Cell/Boo arcs" contrary to popular belief. The first dub which had 67 episodes butchered into 53 episodes wasn't much better.

Then again, people from Catalonia/Valencia/Andorra, the rest of Spain and Portugal have nostalgia for the Catalan, Spain-Spanish and Portugal-Portuguese respectively, so it's not just an English North American speaking thing. Then again, the eh Latino Spanish/Portuguese dubs, which were decently scripted(both Brazilian dubs and Mexican dubs have a similar script because the languages are mutually intelligible(more so than the European variants) and the fact that Brazil used the script from the Latino dub in the first place) are overrated to hell and back. They even have dub errors, which is annoying.

I hate when people bash the Naruto, Bleach or One Piece(Funimation) dubs, but praise the DBZ dub(s) to no end. Kai was decent, though the script sucked at points. BOG was very good, but DBZ? Come on, man, those dubs sucked. At least the three above have great, faithful scripts, strong acting and the correct music.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

DBZ's English dub always gets a pass from certain people because they grew up watching it on Toonami without much exposure to things like fansubs.

When I started as a DBZ fan, few had anything positive to say about the English dub. At least in the online community. This is because some of the people who became fans at the same time I did had regular internet access and researched how bad the dub was, read sites like DBZ Uncensored, Planet Namek, etc. I just assumed everybody was reading those sites, but apparently many didn't. Back then we had VHS fansubs, damn it, and you paid with a money order! (Though, amusingly, a lot of those VHS fansubs spiced up the dialogue with swears, like their own version of "fifteening"... infamously Vegata was swearing a blue streak.)

By the time Naruto came around English dubbed, it already had a big fanbase who'd watched it in Japanese via downloadable fansubs, and any little mistake the English dub made was blasphemy to them, despite the Naruto dub being FAR more faithful and better acted than the DBZ dub.

The same people who will tell you how bad and inaccurate the Naruto dub is (which isn't true) will then turn around and praise the DBZ dub as "The anime you have to watch dubbed." It's a bizarre hypocrisy that can only be explained as poisonous nostalgia.

This is why there are still Robotech fans in North America. Not because Robotech is good, but because they wore Robotech jammies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

When I started as a DBZ fan, few had anything positive to say about the English dub. At least in the online community. This is because some of the people who became fans at the same time I did had regular internet access and researched how bad the dub was, read sites like DBZ Uncensored, Planet Namek, etc.

By the time Naruto came around English dubbed, it already had a big fanbase who'd watched it in Japanese via downloadable fansubs, and any little mistake the English dub made was blasphemy to them,

You're right; there seems to be a parallel there. Both were raised with the sub by the time the dub came around, so were already hardened.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
A few thoughts and opinions of mine regarding this issue:

I was raised on the dub--the Ocean dub for a few months, then the FUNimation dub when Toonami switched to that. As a result, I never heard Goku's Japanese voice until comparatively recently (around 2008 or so, I'd say). I personally think it sounds jarring, because the voice is incredibly high-pitched and childlike and Goku is clearly a rather muscular, manly adult. However, I know some people grew up on Goku's Japanese voice and have become very used to it--after all, I did hear Monkey D. Luffy's Japanese voice almost as soon as One Piece[i]'s anime came out and got used to that, to where I think a deep, clearly male voice for Luffy would sound jarring (and even 4Kids gave Luffy a high-pitched voice), even though he's 17 and should no longer have the voice of a little boy. I'd imagine that what I feel about Luffy's voice is how people accustomed to [i]Dragon Ball/Z/GT in Japanese feel about Goku's voice.

Looking back, the Ocean dub for Dragon Ball Z was not that good, and listening to other Ocean dubs, that group requires very good direction to create something compelling (like with Death Note or Black Lagoon, though domestic animation do tend to produce good material from them). FUNimation's initial Dragon Ball Z dub was not that good either, but the key word here is "was." Back then, nobody really knew what they were doing in anime localization. None of the western animation professionals were going to touch anime, or give affordable guidance, so even giants like FUNimation had to learn as they go. Since then, however, the quality for FUNimation's dubs, including Dragon Ball stuff, has grown by leaps and bounds.

Something else to consider is that everything is relative. Back then, anime was a novelty, and people tuned in because Dragon Ball Z was so very different. It was a breath of fresh air. People were sick of hearing Rob Paulsen, Tress MacNeille, and Jim Cummings in everything, even if they were miles better than what FUNimation or Ocean could do at that time. These guys were badasses (am I allowed to use that word?) and the actors performed accordingly. The boys loved it. This was the sort of show that filled the holes in their TV viewing. In addition, most anime dubbing in English could not compare to anime dubbing in English today, so I don't think comparing then and now is fair. It'd be like criticisizing Super Mario Bros. for not being able to scroll backwards, Mario having weird momentum, and stage themes repeating again and again. They didn't know back then.

And finally, since the FUNimation dub for Dragon Ball Z is well-acclaimed and well-liked NOW, that's what's important regarding the dub for Resurrection "F". We're expecting the level of quality FUNimation is putting out for its dubs in the present because Resurrection "F"'s dub is done using FUNimation's present know-how, experience, and cast, compared to back in 1998.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It makes sense to me. Most Americans were introduced into DBZ through the dub on TV, and introduced into Naruto through fansubs. It's whatever they see first they develop a preference for. It's also why you won't ever see modern anime dubs be treated the same as old dubs. Even if a show's dub has fans, they'll be outnumbered by fans of the sub because that's how most people are exposed to anime these days thanks to streaming and fansubs. Back in the 90s most people only had dubs so seeing DBZ fans say they want to watch the dub but Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, and other modern shounen series want to watch the sub is logical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4