• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director of Gundam SEED Thinks Anime Has Too Many Regulations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If a show like, let's say, Psycho-pass (dark, serious, gritty) was so direly needed in the industry, why did it only sell like 8k?

8k is a hit. You should be celebrating that number. The vast majority of series don't sell more than 2k.

"ONLY 8k" probably has more to due with the nature that Japanese Blu-ray/DVD prices are absurdly expensive and only the most die hard of fans would be willing to fork over that much money just to have a series on DVD/Bluray.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
My point is, if a show like PP was something everyone was desperately waiting for, 8k would be awful numbers. I think Shingeki is more what I could use as an example, and it helped to have a hit manga before the show aired, and that it's about as deep as a puddle.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Too many people are mistaking extreme content for maturity, when all too often it represents the exact opposite. Jojo, for example, is fun, but absolutely nothing about it is mature -- if anything, that show seems remarkably in touch with its inner demented five-year old (that's an observation, btw; not a criticism).

And I don't get what this director is complaining about regarding censorship.

Graphic violence? We got that in Jojo and Hunter x Hunter right now.

Nudity? That's all over late night anime now as well, and those beams of light blocking out the details are not censorship; they're a way to entice the truly sad to shell out 7,000 yen for the "uncensored" blu-ray.

Solid storytelling? Let me direct you to Space Brothers, Cross Game, Hyouka, and Kids on the Slope.

Want to go a little more art-house? Try Hyouge-mono, Flowers of Evil, or the current Ping-Pong.

Otaku shows that are actually good? Madoka Magica and Fate Zero are still in recent memory.

All kinds of stuff is getting made. Most of it is same-old same-old (fetish-of-the-week for the late-night otaku crowd; shonen jump/card fight stuff for kids), but that is compost from which flowers do occasionally bloom. Sturgeon's law applies, but we've still got the 10% that isn't crap; a better signal-to-noise ratio than that is not the norm; it's a golden age. The parade of fanservice and bizarre fetishes in late-night anime is a turn-off for me, and the explosion in the number of card battle shows eating up the kids' timeslots is depressing and worrisome, but to suggest that nothing "mature" can get made anymore is just ridiculous.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Too many regulations? Should've gone with OVAs where you don't need to deal with any censorship beyond what the law will come after you for.

Yes, clearly there's no reason companies wouldn't do this. It's not like a major reason for many of these shows airing is to promote other things like light novels, manga or games and selling them as OVAS would completely defeat that purpose. Saying "hey, just change to this completely business model that was basically abandoned a decade ago for a reason" isn't a particularly useful suggestion and just dodges the issue.

That said, as I mentioned before, I'm still not sure what exactly they can't get away with on late night TV. At least for fanservice of the sexual variety, censoring the TV broadcast doesn't seem like a particular negative for the creators since it encourages purchase (or at least rental) of the BDs. I think censoring violence can serve this purpose as well.

Fate/Zero had some pretty nasty stuff (and the manga gets truly vile; I can't see that getting an uncensored release in the U.S.) that they just censored around. Unless they consider roasting children alive or having on-screen child rape to be some integral part of the story they can't censor or have happen off-screen, I don't see what's even holding them back. Unless maybe they consider they kind of violence censorship Brynhilder has to be a problem that encourages them to not air many of them in the first place, but again, it's not like it's worse than anything Psycho-Pass did as far as I've seen of both.

And in both cases, such issues are unlikely to be the main reason larger audiences aren't interested in anie.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Hoppy800 you mean like Quite in Metal Gear 5. That design. Rolling Eyes
Kojima said that the chick was designed with a figure in mind. But i still want he game soo bad. I have the same problems with japanese games and movies (so do people like Kojima and Inafune) but Kenshin 2-5 and Final Fantasy 15(this one has the good team onboard) are also being produced so not all hope is lost. Just a recession i guess. For me anime today is like Simpsons season 25 or something. I weird inbred monster done by fans of the old stuff that only pander and don´t innovate. Does anyone else have a better metaphor ? Off to bed for me.

I want Bullet Girls so bad and it's filled with fanservice and may surpass Senran Kagura but both revolve around it and it's not tacked on like some games just for sales.

Japanese video games are pretty much at the point of no return, games require pandering elements to even sell 2000 copies. It's even worse for mobile, where no one even wants it unless it has something cute for the 20 something mainstream female audience or be designed for Otaku.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
mdo7 wrote:
agree If anything, fanservice is keeping the industry alive.

And more international anime fan will continue to increase criticism (including me) because the reason I stop watching anime because of too much fanservice and less on creativity/innovation in the storyline, there's only quite a few good anime left for me to watch for the last 2 years.
I agree, and this is what Fukuda-san is on about. Fanservice is life support and like any life support it's trying to keep a very terminally ill patient alive. But there is only so much that fanservice can do before either the patient finds strengths elsewhere to revive, or it's too late and the life support is just wasting money and needs to be turned off. Anime is at that crossroads right now. Creators and producers at companies are coming to the realisation that TV is not going to continue to keep the patient alive because of all these newly imposed regulations even when it is TV's money commissioning their output. So companies are looking more and more at what is happening with vocaloid, and especially Hatsune Miku. Jonathan Clements [Anime , A History;2014: 218] observed
Quote:
Miku is in one sense the quintessence of modern anime. She's an inheritor of the fan centred commodity culture of the 1980's and of the do-it-youself home-brew animators of the 2000s in both her appearances and the events that replay them in cinemas round the world. She is also a fine ambassador for the "dreams of export". While it might be possible to find illegal copies of her concert footage, the subtext of her concert videos presents a superb challenge to a modern audience - that to appreciate or even assess her fully, one must attend a concert in person: the ultimate antidote to piracy
Just like the music business where musicians are turning away from CD and downloads in order to make money and returning to live performances only where fans need to buy a ticket to attend their concerts and only after a live tour that they then created a physical copy, or mp3 download to purchase knowing full well it will get pirated short thereafter. At least they have made some money to invest in creating more before that.

What Fukuda and earlier Miyazaki are railing about is the in-fighting between the people who think of anime as only a business and therfore only do it as a job, and the creatives that think of it as a vocation. They both have a point when the biggest boxoffice earners of anime since the 1980's has been Studio Ghibli films shown in cinemas first and foremost before being released into the "media mix" and are still in the minds of the masses when titles that are blatant "otaku pandering" are not selling and forgotten after only three months. There are too much of latter and not enough of the former. Until anime as an industry can rebalance this somehow we could be seeing the beginning of the end of anime as we know and love.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed May 21, 2014 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
@Mohawk52: Glad you and I share this same thought. I'm not really happy with most of the anime coming out right now. Like I mention, there's only quite a few anime I like coming out, now I just finished watching Idolm@ster (which I thought was decent), and Wake up Girls (probably the best idol-themed anime out there, I love the storyline in that one so much). There's some few other anime I'm planning to watch. But yeah it disapoint me that most of the anime coming out these day are just fanservice (and moe) anime and less on the innovation/creativity on the storyline. This is the reason I don't watch a lot of anime coming out these day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I still don't understand how Space Bros or the new Legend of Galactic Heroes are being produced in this climate.

Space Brothers was made for mainstream timeslots, Sunday morning at first, and then 5:30 PM on Saturdays. Anime that air at such times are driven by ratings and the corresponding advertising revenue, so they benefit from broad appeal.

The type of anime you are complaining about airs very late at night or the wee hours of the morning, and sometimes only on premium channels. They have to peddle merchandise to otaku, because there usually aren't enough "normal" people watching a channel during those hours to make much money from standard advertisements.

DmonHiro wrote:
In the mid 2000s, several companies tried selling their BDs for half price.

IIRC they tried that again more recently, with Bodacious Space Pirates and at least one other, which I think was Rinne no Lagrange but I can't remember for sure.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The problem isn't "too many boobies" in anime. The problem is that it's abused by hacks that make it like rattling keys in front of children. Shows based entirely around fanservice, that revolve solely around premises that give an excuse to use it. I guess you can say looser restrictions would just make that worse, but I think it would help the better things rise to the top as the trash sinks further and further with ludicrous plotlines.

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, for instance, was sexed up intensely, but I rarely saw anything in it as simply being specifically pandering, time-wasting fanservice. You saw Fujiko's breasts frequently, but it was all in the way they handled it and the solid storytelling that wove it in naturally. It wasn't candy-colored flesh peddling, it was a little sad, but beautiful. The show is perhaps a bit lurid, but somehow not cheaply.

But no amount of restrictions loosening would make Fukuda's work any better. A show about giant candy-colored robots pounding each other as men explode in a future beset by genetic engineered supermen and fantastical racism doesn't need a lot of sex appeal. It needs better writing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I agree, and this is what Fukuda-san is on about.

That's not what he said at all. Stop trying to twist this man's statement for your own agenda. He said NOTHING about fanservice or otaku. He said anime has stricter censorship these days.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
What Americans call fanservice and pandering, the rest of the world just sees as the natural human body
Laughing Europe, Japan.. They're not as hung up at seeing a woman's cleavage as Americans are and don't make a fuss like you see here. And if you're expecting anime to cater to American puritian tastes, you'll probably be waiting awhile.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
The Anime's industry problem is not regulation. It's a complete lack of ideas (except when it comes to paedophilia and incest).
Even with no regulation, shit ideas remain shit ideas.

In other words: "The Anime industry's problem is that it's not pandering and catering to me enough!"

What predictable commentary......... Rolling Eyes

No, what I'm saying is that Fukuda is blaming the wrong cause for modern anime woes.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Too many regulations? Should've gone with OVAs where you don't need to deal with any censorship beyond what the law will come after you for.

Yes, clearly there's no reason companies wouldn't do this. It's not like a major reason for many of these shows airing is to promote other things like light novels, manga or games and selling them as OVAS would completely defeat that purpose. Saying "hey, just change to this completely business model that was basically abandoned a decade ago for a reason" isn't a particularly useful suggestion and just dodges the issue.

That said, as I mentioned before, I'm still not sure what exactly they can't get away with on late night TV. At least for fanservice of the sexual variety, censoring the TV broadcast doesn't seem like a particular negative for the creators since it encourages purchase (or at least rental) of the BDs. I think censoring violence can serve this purpose as well.

Fate/Zero had some pretty nasty stuff (and the manga gets truly vile; I can't see that getting an uncensored release in the U.S.) that they just censored around. Unless they consider roasting children alive or having on-screen child rape to be some integral part of the story they can't censor or have happen off-screen, I don't see what's even holding them back. Unless maybe they consider they kind of violence censorship Brynhilder has to be a problem that encourages them to not air many of them in the first place, but again, it's not like it's worse than anything Psycho-Pass did as far as I've seen of both.

And in both cases, such issues are unlikely to be the main reason larger audiences aren't interested in anie.

Some BDs jip the customer out of the fanservice they deserve, Ro-Kyu-Bu for some reason had no nipples, and instead it's uncensored to a normal anime level of censorship, all it did is remove sunflowers, a little soap, and steam but the steam and soap existed in many scenes. $300 worth of BS.
jet_

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
@ Mohawk52 and mdo7:

If your problem with recent anime is that there's too much fanservice and "moe", then the problem lies with you, not with the shows.
I don't know where you learned what "moe" is, but to everyone who does not frequent 4chan or Sankaku Complex, moe is the feeling you get for a character whose character traits appeal to you.
If you call the characters in, for example, Is The Order a Rabbit "boring moeblobs", then that just means that you're too shallow to see the depth in the characters.

Literally every anime has moe.

The amount of sexual fanservice shows versus the amount of shows that does not use sexual fanservice as its main thing is very low.
Stop acting as if anime is dead.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I agree, and this is what Fukuda-san is on about.

That's not what he said at all. Stop trying to twist this man's statement for your own agenda. He said NOTHING about fanservice or otaku. He said anime has stricter censorship these days.
tl;dr obviously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8