• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Staff Wanted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
You mentioned reviewing R2s of anime, what about imported manga? Also, someone asked, but I didn't recall seeing a clear answer, would the reviewer of an R1 DVD be required to view the entire disc in *both* Japanese and English dub, or would watching it entirely in one language and then rewatching half or key moments in the other be sufficient? (Granted, skipping op/ed sequences on the second go would help cut done on time a bit and such, but I figured I'd ask just for clarity's sake...)
indrik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
indrik wrote:
How is copyright handled in situations like this? Is it retained by the author, or sold to the website? Out of curiousity. I've only published academically, so no money changes hands on my level and copyright isn't typically an issue. I was surprised, though, I've got a handful of reviews that made it to 750 or 800 words, without any comments on dvds. Of course, they stink, but that's not going to stop me from bringing it up here.

Uh... obviously any reviews written for us become property of Anime News Network.

Sorry if this was obvious for everyone else. Also sorry that my post was incoherent: I plead sinus medication. I should know better.

I've had a couple of trade magazines offer ownership of the printed article against paying less than normal fees for publication. That's what I was getting at, which was in my head, but didn't come out in the post. I still didn't see any of the money, due to annoying employment circumstances, but I do own a handful of the articles I've published. Apparently this is not the case here.

Sorry again, carry on.
tonyadpx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I have numerous writing programs on my computer, but not the "big dog" MSWord, at least not yet. So which program should I use to fit the required format of pure text or HTML? I have WordPerfect, OpenOffice, WordPad, and NotePad.

I've been writing and sending submissions for a long time, but never electronically.
Demon Crow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm very interested and fitting for this job. I used to write reviews for an internet anime publication, not in English though. However, I have the knowledge needed for this job. Unfortunately, I can’t keep up with 4 pieces a week because I'm pursuing my Bachelor degree for the time being. It’s a shame, really.

Good luck for the applicants and the site's team.Smile
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested in doing manga reviews. One question, about the number of words, does it have to be a least 750? Your guidelines say at least 600. For an anime dvd, that makes sense but there's only so much you can say about a manga. I have a manga review about ready but I'm only to 563 words.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
tonyadpx wrote:
I have numerous writing programs on my computer, but not the "big dog" MSWord, at least not yet. So which program should I use to fit the required format of pure text or HTML? I have WordPerfect, OpenOffice, WordPad, and NotePad.

I've been writing and sending submissions for a long time, but never electronically.

If you use OpenOffice, you can save as a .DOC file, which would be the same as a Word document. Both WordPad and Notepad save as .txt.
TheCrescent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Would these reviews be used in one of the columns such as Shelf Life or would they be in the Encyclopedia section (or elsewhere)? I didn't see any information on where the reviews would be posted. The reason I ask is that I'd like to make sure my submission follows the style used for that portion of the site.

Thank you very much,

Crescent
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
TheCrescent wrote:
Would these reviews be used in one of the columns such as Shelf Life or would they be in the Encyclopedia section (or elsewhere)? I didn't see any information on where the reviews would be posted. The reason I ask is that I'd like to make sure my submission follows the style used for that portion of the site.

Thank you very much,

Crescent

They will be posted on the right column like all our other full-length reviews.

I have to be honest here - if you're not even familiar enough with the site to know where these reviews would be posted, I would rethink applying for the job.

Also - nobody applying for this position will ever be writing for Shelf Life. That column is written by Bamboo Dong, and nobody else.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also - nobody applying for this position will ever be writing for Shelf Life. That column is written by Bamboo Dong, and nobody else.

So does that mean if/when Bamboo leaves Anime News Network, Shelf Life will be gone? No offense, but I'm afraid you're going to disappoint and/or alienate a lot of your readers if/when that day comes.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Zac wrote:

So does that mean if/when Bamboo leaves Anime News Network, Shelf Life will be gone? No offense, but I'm afraid you're going to disappoint and/or alienate a lot of your readers if/when that day comes.

Dude, guys, I'm not dead yet. Y'all are talking like I'm on the verge of death or something.

I am very much alive and kicking and plan on doing Shelf Life for a really friggin' long time. We're talking years here. If/when the day comes that I decide to stop doing Shelf Life, matters will be assessed then. But that's like, years from now so let's not start planning my funeral yet. Matter at hand: full-length reviews. ;p
TheCrescent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TheCrescent wrote:

Thank you very much,

Crescent

They will be posted on the right column like all our other full-length reviews.

I have to be honest here - if you're not even familiar enough with the site to know where these reviews would be posted, I would rethink applying for the job.

My apologies that I came off as unfamiliar with the site. I visit here regularly but I always think of this site as an anime and manga review site so I wanted clarification which section within the site was looking for reviewers. It was clear that this wasn't an application for a columnist, but I used one of the columns as an example because of the very strong and enjoyable style/voice of the writer. I know your time is valuable and did not wish to waste it by sending articles that would definitely not fit your needs. I'd much rather ask a potentially dumb question up front rather than make an assumption and find out I was wrong later on.

Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate you clearing up my confusion.

Have a great day,

Crescent Very Happy
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Dude, guys, I'm not dead yet. Y'all are talking like I'm on the verge of death or something.

I am very much alive and kicking and plan on doing Shelf Life for a really friggin' long time. We're talking years here. If/when the day comes that I decide to stop doing Shelf Life, matters will be assessed then. But that's like, years from now so let's not start planning my funeral yet. Matter at hand: full-length reviews. ;p

Embarassed I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump the gun like that. Zac explained it to me privately and I already apologized to him for my actions, so I promise that I won't do something this stupid ever again.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
If that day ever comes though, which I doubt, Shelf Life won't disappear. It would be taken over by another person, like Zac or someone else.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
Hmmmmmmmmm...I don't know, I prepared notes for 1 DVD, 1 manga review, both relatively average reviews with highlights on the good and the bad. But,
A) While it'd be fun and I don't care about the money, I might not have the time to commit to it and remain carefree/sane.

B) If news of my "unsavory activities" got around, it might make ANN look bad vis-a-vis The Industry, and I wouldn't want to have that happen.

So, I'll just stick to My Anime for now.
IchigoKurosaki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Are we going to be able to submit reviews up until 11:59 August 21st?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5