• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubs or Subtitles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Depends on the series really.

Anime with a more Western setting and characters I'll most likely watched dubbed. in this case, I feel a well done dub just fits the mood better than Japanese. that's not to say the Japanese dub was bad, it just seemed out ot place.

Some characters just benifit from a good dub actor. I watched Steamboy, Hellsing, and Wolf's Rain subbed first but instantly preferred their respective dubs simply because English suited the story better.

And then there's my peeves reguarding the Japanese dub is mispronouncing Western names and terms a lot. Both sides of the Pacific are guilty of this, English with Japanese names, and vis versa. Add to that, instances where the Japanese attempt to speak English

A prime recent example of this is Anderson in Hellsing Ultimate. When he spoke that Engrish line, I swear I wanted to rip my ears out!!! This is where the dub can do it better. If the dub brings back Freeman as Alucard and gives Anderson a crazy accent, then I won't give the sub a second glance.

A few dubs I prefer over the subs: Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Hellsing, FMA, Chrno Crusade, Outlaw Star, Trigun, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (which kind of doesn't count but a Japanese dub was made nonetheless). Notice how all these series don't have very many Japanese characters.

It's pretty much the opposite in anime that take place in Japan, have Japanese cultural refferences, and clearly Japanese characters. More often than not, I'll watch it subbed since Japanese fits better. unless I really like the dub like with YYH and Samurai Champloo.

Basically, if it's more Western than Japanese, then I'll prefer a well done dub. And unless I really like the dub, i'll watch the more Japanese anime subbed.

Still hoping for a well done Berserk dub. That one will definately benifit from it with the Fantasy European setting and all.
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
I'd prefer both subs and dubs,but the bad thing with dubs is that some of the terms and character names start to have accents which totally ruins the show.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
One thing I'd love to hear is a Japanese VA trying a Devonshire accent or Cockney Rhyming Slang...now that would be funny...
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
One thing I'd love to hear is a Japanese VA trying a Devonshire accent or Cockney Rhyming Slang...now that would be funny...

Or occasionally throwing in English phrases with said accent. The stuff that LOLs are made of.
lachesis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I can comfortably watch either, however there are pro's and con's to both in my opinion at least and I'm still fairly new to anime.

Subs:

>> Voice acting is stunning in some of the animes I have watched in Japanese. Gives the scenes more depth and more feeling/emotional

>> Some of the translations are too literal in subs though, I mean like in fragmented sentences or grammatically. I feel this sometimes carries over to dubs as well.

Dubs:

>> Voice atcing is appalling in general. Really bad

>> As mentioned, some of the phrases just don't sound right in certain scenes and although maybe it would lose the literal translation; an edit to more common language would be appreciated.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

Or occasionally throwing in English phrases with said accent. The stuff that LOLs are made of.

which anime? This I MUST hear...(being from Devonshire and all)
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
>> Voice atcing is appalling in general. Really bad

....No. Way. Is there anything else to say?

There are people who hate subtitled anything.
There are people who love anything and everything Japanese and rate it above everything else.

The second being more of a problem in a question of dubs vs subs than the first.

If you don't like dubs, fine. But I get sick of hearing how "horrible" dubs are. Give me a break. "Anime X" or "Anime Y" can be horrible, even "anime dubbed in the early days, say from 19XX-19XX" can be bad, but all dubs have horrible voice actors? I say nay. If you hate dubs, blame it on being a japanophile, or hating english, or adhering to a more purist view that anime should be watched in Japanese. There are real reasons to like one way over the other but....meh.
lachesis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:

....No. Way. Is there anything else to say?

There are people who hate subtitled anything.
There are people who love anything and everything Japanese and rate it above everything else.

The second being more of a problem in a question of dubs vs subs than the first.

If you don't like dubs, fine. But I get sick of hearing how "horrible" dubs are. Give me a break. "Anime X" or "Anime Y" can be horrible, even "anime dubbed in the early days, say from 19XX-19XX" can be bad, but all dubs have horrible voice actors? I say nay. If you hate dubs, blame it on being a japanophile, or hating english, or adhering to a more purist view that anime should be watched in Japanese. There are real reasons to like one way over the other but....meh.

I actually would prefer dubs, being new to anime - everyone in my collection doesn't have the best voice acting at all. Sure Alucard's voice is OK, and even Chrono's is good but there just gems among a sea of mediocrity.

I may change my mind again after seeing different anime's, but at this current time that is my opinion and you will not change it .

I notice you also said ..No.Way. which is very broken and fragmented - ironically this is one of the problems I have with the dubs; if you think that is adequate English maybe that's why you like them?
anime_123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
If I happen to catch an Anime in English Dubs then I stick to the Dubs, FMA on Adult Swim for example and Gundam Seed on YTV.

However, I usually prefer Japanese with Subtitles, the Japanese voices are usually better, and sometimes the anime is butchered when dubbed in English, take One Piece for example.
Anavel Gato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
9 out of 10 times, I'll watch a dub. I personally applaud the English voice acting industry, because they have managed to create some pretty nice stuff. There are a few series that I prefer to watch in Japanese- but those are rare. I'll usually only watch something with subs if the dub is horrific- but again, that's rare.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
lachesis wrote:
Subs:>> Some of the translations are too literal in subs though, I mean like in fragmented sentences or grammatically. I feel this sometimes carries over to dubs as well.
The problem is that Japanese, if taken and translated literally, will sound very weird and fragmented to us as speakers of English or other languages. So, being "faithful" to the original meaning often creates some strange sentences--this is a natural feature of Japanese, not a fault of the translators or script writers.
lachesis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I understand that completely, which is why I'd like to see maybe when subbed into English, they restructure the sentence in some way to get the meaning across but also keep it in a more 'Western' type of dialogue.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
lachesis wrote:
I actually would prefer dubs, being new to anime - everyone in my collection doesn't have the best voice acting at all. Sure Alucard's voice is OK, and even Chrono's is good but there just gems among a sea of mediocrity.

Saying Freeman was OK as Alucard is like saying Blum was OK as Spike. You just can't get any better in the English language. I can already tell you'll never be satisfied by dubs. So don't try.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
lachesis wrote:
Yeah I understand that completely, which is why I'd like to see maybe when subbed into English, they restructure the sentence in some way to get the meaning across but also keep it in a more 'Western' type of dialogue.

Um, that is exactly what they do in professional subtitle jobs and, in my experience, in the better fansubbing jobs, too.

If you're basing your comments mostly or entirely off of seeing fansubs that you're not seeing professional work. (There are some in this forum who would argue that fansubs are better than professional subs anyway, but that's a separate issue I don't intend to get into again.)

And I agree with Vortextk's comments. If you don't like dubs, that's fine, but making a blanket statement like "voice acting [sic] is appalling in general. Really bad"? That's the kind of thing that's going to start arguments, especially if you're basing it off only a few titles. If you've seen several dozen titles (especially recent ones) dubbed and can still honestly make that comment then I'd give it more credibility - but I doubt such a complaint would hold up, given the increases in dub quality over the past few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I notice you also said ..No.Way. which is very broken and fragmented - ironically this is one of the problems I have with the dubs; if you think that is adequate English maybe that's why you like them?

Is this an attack or something on my english? I would say my english is averagely good. Yes you will find mistakes in it. Would you rather see:

"No way?!"?

I wrote the original way as a point. As I said, dislike dubs as you may; I can't change people's opinions nor do I really care to do so. Please though, don't try to tell me every dub is just a bunch of horrible actors awkwardly reading for 5$ an episode.

So, please no cracks on my grammar when yours is not perfect either. It hardly helps the discussion move along.

*Edit*
Oh and with anime_123, I stick with the dubs if I've seen that first as well. Unless I watch the show, and it's completely horrible(which usually never happens, but is especially common in hentai...), I leave it in english. Likewise, I watched FMA in fansub form first. I want to give it a go with dubs since it's been rated so high but for the most part I never watch something dubbed when I've watched it in japanese first. I'm just used to the original voices, whichever language, that I heard first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6