• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Over-rated And Under-Rated Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
Over rated:
Full metal panic!
Every thing about this show is about average, accept it has good graphics. so i don't undrestand why there so much attention paid to it. FMP fomafu got what it deserved, but the first one FMP, got more than it should IMO.

Under rated:
I donnu why people hate FF: Sprits whithin so much.
I'v never played a FF game, nor i was expecting a FF movie, but since i like Computer graphics i whatched it. final fantasy: spirits whithin was the only attempt at realistic gomputer graphics in a full lenght movie at the time.
as for the story like and characters, it wasn't as bad as most people said it is. to me it was like a above average hollywood movie + some awsome graphics sound effects.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:19 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
TestamentSaki wrote:

The Mon Series (Pokémon, Digimon, Monster Rancher)- Erm... They almost always have the same theme: monsters. The only one I find reasonably decent is Digimon (nice original OP and ED), but out of that, I think it's time to make something more original. Besides they're endless... Sheesh.

I'm not sure about the other two, but Digimon (which I rather enjoy) is not endless. There are four seasons of it, two of which stand completely on their own, Tamers and Frontier (which I don't really care for, but whatever). That's hardly what I would call endless, since at best you have two seasons of the same storyline.

Well, I said I find Digimon reasonably decent, but four seasons are just too much. They should've stoped with Digimon 02 (where the two cutest guys are there... Jou and Ken Razz)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:

Under rated:
I'v never played a FF game, nor i was expecting a FF movie, but since i like Computer graphics i whatched it. final fantasy: spirits whithin was the only attempt at realistic gomputer graphics in a full lenght movie at the time.
as for the story like and characters, it wasn't as bad as most people said it is. to me it was like a above average hollywood movie + some awsome graphics sound effects.

You gave the reason why most people hate and why you like it....you nmever played a FF game. If you were a big Final Fantasy fan then more likely then not you would've hated it and expected something better. It's the same reason why most people hate the resident evil movies (though the 2nd one was a much better improvement.). I'm guessing we FF fans were expecting something more in line to the games or a story that was off the games and that's why I think Final Fantasy:AC is getting such hype because it's off of Final Fantasy 7.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
TAKAVAR wrote:

Under rated:

You gave the reason why most people hate and why you like it....you nmever played a FF game. If you were a big Final Fantasy fan then more likely then not you would've hated it and expected something better. It's the same reason why most people hate the resident evil movies (though the 2nd one was a much better improvement.). I'm guessing we FF fans were expecting something more in line to the games or a story that was off the games and that's why I think Final Fantasy:AC is getting such hype because it's off of Final Fantasy 7.

Which is funny because FF: Spirits Within and FF Unlimited are far better written stories than FF: Advent Children Laughing
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I was disappointed maybe that it wasn't a true FF movie, however that doesn't change the story or quality any. If it had any other name it'd have been the same story, animation and action. The name, while somewhat misleading, does not make it what it is, nor does it really make FF:AC better than it really is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:

Well, I said I find Digimon reasonably decent, but four seasons are just too much. They should've stoped with Digimon 02 (where the two cutest guys are there... Jou and Ken Razz)

I have to agree to that, only because I don't like the two other seasons, but since they are pretty much completely different serieses, I find saying that Digimon is endless to be a stretch at best.
AHZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Under-Rated (in no particular order)

Blue Gender:
This series did a great job of drawing me in. I liked the dark mood, and the further I got the more I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Escaflowne: The movie
It probably helped that I never saw the television series. But, from what I hear the movie version is a bit darker than the series. Anyways, I thought it was well done. It did feel a bit rushed, and I would have liked to know more about some of the supporting cast, but this was a good movie. (p.s. the music was awesome)

Cyborg 009:
This goes back to my old days playing Mega Man on the NES. I've always liked cyborgs/robots. It's not the most action oriented series, which I'm sure turned a lot of people off--but I liked the characters; and I liked the way each of their backgrounds were told during the series.

They Were Eleven:
I never hear anyone speak about this movie, but I thought it was classic. All the characters involved had their own personalities and motives and there were one or two surprises that I wasn't expecting.

Over-Rated (I should point out that "over-rated" doesn't necessarily mean it's "bad". Most of the time, for me, "over-rated" means it was really good, but didn't live up to lofty expectations.)

Evangelion:
Don't get me wrong--it is good. But, it's not nearly as good as I was expecting before I watched it. I thought I was about to witness something ground breaking, but for me, it didn't reach that level.

FLCL:
Once again, this series is very good--once you understand what the hell is going on. But, it recently occurred to me that had in not been for the catchy background music/ending theme, I would not have paid as much attention to it.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
I enjoyed it alot, but I was expecting it to be more...epic; instead it just seemed to be a longer version of one of the television episodes.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
I fail to see why Naruto is such a failure. It, along with Fruits Basket, is my current favourite anime because of its unique ideas, variety of individual characters, atmosphere, plot, and fair share of surprises. True, it's sometimes easy to guess where a fight is headed, or what's really happening in a battle, but at other times my jaw just drops at the clever nature of these fight scenes that just make you feel the need to never blink.

The character development is visible and for once, IMO, there are mounds of fans because it's actually good.

I don't think I'd ever call such a fantastic series over-rated.

DBZ is probably the worst anime I've had the misfortune to see. I watched it when I was around 10, and the only thing that kept me watching was the cliffhangers. I didn't care about the plot, and the whole time I was shaking my head at how gross-looking these characters were. Now, it's still on my TV and I'm up and ready to change the channel. The fandom of this series is a think I'll never understand.

Wow, I completely agree with you on these. People always seem to say how Naruto is so similar to DBZ, I think that they're very different though. Yes, they're both based around fighting and finding out who is the strongest but what made Naruto so much more entertaining to me than DBZ are that the battles themselves are so much more clever and well put together. The characters are also far more interesting than DBZ's characters IMO. Altough this part is far more personal taste than anything, I also have to agree with Siilent about how ugly the characters were in DBZ.

remember love wrote:

I'm both a Final Fantasy and Resident Evil fan. I didn't think the movies were that bad. I just wasn't expecting what was in FF TSW, I definatly wouldn't call it bad, I actually liked it. I didn't know that many people hated the Resident Evil Movies cause I really like them. My only complaint is how they portrayed Jill in the second one. Didn't really seem like her, but it still didn't make the movie bad.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Quote:

I was disappointed maybe that it wasn't a true FF movie, however that doesn't change the story or quality any. If it had any other name it'd have been the same story, animation and action. The name, while somewhat misleading, does not make it what it is, nor does it really make FF:AC better than it really is.

Yeah but most people don't see it that way. If they are expecting something to be out like Final Fantasy then they were setting themselves up to hate the movie. While no the story and everything else wouldn't of change with a different name....it certainly would of helped because then people wouldn't have looked at it in the same fashion as they do with the Final Fantasy games. If y ou compared the storys of the games with Spirits Within people and myself included would think Spirits Within's story stunk compared to the games. While if I were seeing it without comparing it to the games I would of gave it an average rating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:

Yeah but most people don't see it that way. If they are expecting something to be out like Final Fantasy then they were setting themselves up to hate the movie. While no the story and everything else wouldn't of change with a different name....it certainly would of helped because then people wouldn't have looked at it in the same fashion as they do with the Final Fantasy games. If y ou compared the storys of the games with Spirits Within people and myself included would think Spirits Within's story stunk compared to the games. While if I were seeing it without comparing it to the games I would of gave it an average rating.

The games are 10 times longer than the movies, they have a lot more time to explain the plot, develop characters, etc. So it would be obvious that the movie isn't as good as the games. Compared to other movies the plot in FF:SW wasn't half bad. The problem is that all the FF fans are comparing it to the games which I think shouldn't be in the same category.
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

The games are 10 times longer than the movies, they have a lot more time to explain the plot, develop characters, etc. So it would be obvious that the movie isn't as good as the games.

Well...actually I think if you take the actually story in the games it really isn't as long as you might think. The 10 times longer part is mostly comes from fighting and leveling up and with me fooling around and looking for "extra" items in the game. The story I honestly don't see it being 10 times longer then the movie. I would probably only say 3x as long at the max depending on the game we're talking about.

Quote:
Compared to other movies the plot in FF:SW wasn't half bad. The problem is that all the FF fans are comparing it to the games which I think shouldn't be in the same category

Already, stated that.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Well...actually I think if you take the actually story in the games it really isn't as long as you might think. The 10 times longer part is mostly comes from fighting and leveling up and with me fooling around and looking for "extra" items in the game. The story I honestly don't see it being 10 times longer then the movie. I would probably only say 3x as long at the max depending on the game we're talking about.

Yes, you're probably right, but that brings up another point. A lot of the enjoyment from the FF games comes from the battling, leveling up, finding hidden items, etc. It's yet another reason why the games shouldn't be compared to the movies.

remember love wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Compared to other movies the plot in FF:SW wasn't half bad. The problem is that all the FF fans are comparing it to the games which I think shouldn't be in the same category

Already, stated that.

Ya, I know, I was just showing that I agreed with you.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Over-rated:

The first half of Grave of the Fireflies was great, the second half just one long boring wait for the inevitable. Yes, it is boring when you simply can't sympathize with the protagonist.

That's exactly how I felt when I first watched the movie. The first half was pretty good, but then the movie just started getting repetitive and I started to totally despise Seita instead of caring over the plight both him and his sister were going through. I feel funny that supposedly one of the saddest anime ever ended up making me feel far more angry than sad. For me, this is definitely the most overrated anime I've seen so far as well as having one of my most hated characters.

Other anime that I think are overrated are:

Cowboy Bebop - Actually a pretty good action anime, but the show consisted mainly of episodes that had nothing to do with the main story (which to me seemed to consist of no more than 5 episodes Rolling Eyes), and the only character that I actually liked was Spike. The other characters weren't unlikeable, but they just didn't really stand out for me in terms of personality. The main villain of the series, Vicious, was also very underwhelming. spoiler[He was hardly even in the series and I couldn't believe how retarded he was trying to trying to match guns with a sword Rolling Eyes.]

Hellsing - The main character was far too powerful throughout much of the series so that ended up being a little boring for me, Seras Victoria spoiler[was a character with hugely wasted potential] and the last half was an incoherent mess. The first few episodes were pretty good, although filler-ish but the middle was pretty awesome. Then it all went downhill from there... Sad
AngstSchreeuw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree on Cowboy Bebop and Grave of the Fireflies. Both had the same problem. I couldn't sympathize with the characters. Cowboy Bebop had the added element of having too many fillers and thus, a very weak story.

Another one for the list is SaiKano. While it had some very emotional moments spoiler[when Yumi died], it was just too weak in terms of character and plot.

As for underrated anime:

Honey & Clover
While not underrated, I do believe more people should look at it. It's such a beautiful story, it completely avoids cliches, and is more about friendship than love while still being very romantic Smile.

Kita-He
A very nice anime, it's a couple of loose stories about 6 girls and their troubles. Also a very nice story about friendship. It leaves you feeling very good.
Same here, not underrated, but underviewed.

Boys Be
Again, the same as the 2 previous ones, not a lot of cliche stuff here, some nice love stories and a beautiful feel-good story. And again, not underrated, but more underviewed.
coldspider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
The thing with the DBZ is that it's only going to get better with time.10 years from now,the quality of it's storytelling,animation,action,etc. will hold up and the series will keep creating new fans.Hell,it's quite impressive now considering the Buu Saga itself is over ten years old.Overall the show still looks very good for an old TV series and the advances of 2D digital animation didn't come until the end of the 90s.

Actually,when you compare Naruto's and DBZ's super intense episodes,DBZ actually looks better than Naruto so far.Some of the big fights in Naruto are animated pretty well,but I find the character designs change too much.(i.e. the fight between spoiler[Rock Lee and Gaara,Naruto and Sasuke,etc.]) With TV series as long as DBZ and Naruto,obviously each series needs it's crappy animated episodes.But DBZ's character desgins remained consistant throughout all the big fights.

And even though in DBZ the main baddie was followed up by an even bigger baddie,if you take a closer look you'll see that each saga had a different theme.

Frieza Saga - This just had a straightforward theme to it where it conveyed to the viewer,"Forget what you saw in Dragonball and what you've seen so far in Dragonball Z.'This' guy (Frieza) has been the strongest in the unverse all along."

Cell Saga - This saga definitely had a more sci-fi theme to it.Time travel,androids,parallel dimensions,and a monster born through genetic engineering

Buu Saga - In contrast to the Cell saga,the Buu saga had a more mystical theme to it.Magic,spells,rituals,and a monster born of sorcery.

Seriously,DBZ gets WAY TOO MUCH sh*t from people. =/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6