• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Color Theory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
So I haven't watched KotS yet (it's on my list, I swear!). But I wonder if part of this are they/aren't they gay thing has to do with masculinity in Japan?

I've read that Americans who go to Japan to teach English are often surprised at how straight male highschoolers do things with each other that we would consider romantic, like holding hands. And one time I read a comment by a (gay) Westerner in Japan that they can't tell when someone there is gay or "just Japanese". (This was all years ago, sorry I can't provide links)

Or maybe (as I believe came up in a previous discussion on this topic) the female author of this story was trying to depict a platonic relationship, but didn't have a good feel for how guys actually act.

I definitely think dtm42's confusion stems from cultural misunderstanding. American culture, especially among males, tends to value independence and personal space over close platonic relationships. There are many reasons for this-the romanticism of lone heroes, homophobia of young males afraid of being perceived as gay to their peers if they get too close to another male, etc.

Traditionally gender segregated cultures and cultures that tend to value the group over the individual are more tolerant and encouraging of close non-sexual relationships between men (and women, but it's more acceptable for women to have a close relationship, even in the West). Think of Saudi Arabia, where it's common for male friends to hold hands in public.

Then there is the fact that the source material for KotS is a Josei manga written by a woman for women, and women are more likely to identify with a platonic relationship that includes aspects of jealousy and "drama" then men may be.

The lack of understanding of close platonic relationships in America is a pet peeve of mine (I linked to an article in the NYTimes about it in this forum some time ago). I don't automatically assume that two characters of opposite gender are love interests any more than I do two characters of the same gender. There are plenty of examples of non-romantic friendships between boys and girls in anime, too. Not every friendship has to be a romance, and it's not dishonest to portray them that way.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just wanted the show to be honest with itself. Honesty is important, and cutting the baggage would have tightened up the writing considerably.

This is absurd. You can't claim something isn't being honest with itself, when the "truth" is only something that YOU perceive.

dtm42 wrote:

Kaoru and Sentaro's friendship was not of two guys being friends, more like two guys going through a stormy emotional relationship. We got all the jealousy, all the snarkiness, all the fighting and ignoring one another and making up with each other and all the rest as with a proper relationship.

I guess I'm not seeing how that's exclusive to romantic relationships. I've been jealous when I felt like I was getting ditched by a friend for a cooler friend; I feel left out when a close friend starts hanging out with someone else more than me. I have had fights with friends that have ended in tears. That's the nature of close friendships.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But they certainly acted like they did. And that pissed me off, because they were straight but acted gay. My argument was why not just make them gay? Would have been a much more streamlined and tighter-written story, plus actually honest to how they treated one another.

This is where I fundamentally disagree with you. I do not think they "acted gay" at ALL. You are saying that it's not possible to have a tumultuous, close, personal, emotional friendship between two men without saying that they're acting gay. Why? That's absolutely ludicrous. What's a normal, straight friendship supposed to look like? Dudes punching each other and shrugging when emotional stuff happens?

Is my tumultuous, emotional, sometimes-jealous, sometimes-angry friendship with my female best friend more straight because we're both women, and that's acceptable for women?

I don't get it.

It's not that the show isn't being honest with itself. It's that you can't conceive of a friendship between two hetero men that's this emotionally involved.
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I thought Hanasaku Iroha to be a better show than Kids in the Slope. In HI, the events and character progression just feel more natural whereas in KitS it feels like the creator tried too hard to create some tragic melodrama. And the biggest flaw with KitS for me is Kaoru. They could not have picked a more annoying main character.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Once again, I've fallen asleep while in the middle of a forum discussion...my apologies~ Embarassed
@ classicalzawa

Ahh, gotcha. Wink

dtm42 wrote:

Good catch and I concede the point. But I find it interesting that all three examples are female-to-female. Lesbian pairings seem to be recognised far more easily than gay pairings.

This I will agree with. Take Psycho Pass for example. Shion and Yayoi's relationship aren't questioned or treated like a fetish (well, to me, they weren't) or acted like in a stereotypical "We hate men!" Not only is it "profitable" for male fans to see girlXgirl action but, also female fans to see women in a committed relationship (which was the whole point of early yuri.)

If, IF the purpose of Anime! Sen and Kaoru's relationship was supposed to progress, then the series came off as more of an unintentional pandering. One scene in particular: spoiler[Kaoru is in his bedroom, when Sentaro appears at his window. He comes in and, while Kaoru starts being defensive (I forget which episode), he climbs on top of him and gets rather close to his face. I would be lying if I say I didn't suspect anything. >///>]

And, in agreement with tuxedocat, spoiler[Jun/Yurika] relationship felt... unnecessary esp. with the love polygon with spoiler[Sentaro] involved. \

But, watching the first time, I still felt it was supposed to be a more intimate look at friendship between two men besides the more commonly "No hugging, no serious talking, no emotions" duo you see in Rom-Coms nowadays. Plus, I still find nothing wrong with guys talking, like actually talking, with each other. Call it wimpy or whatever, but it's refreshing to see two males not put up a front when it comes to familial problems, having fun, and, of course, playing music. Plus, this is same person who directed Macross Plus, a great, original action romance with two pilots and a woman who played a major role in the series. So, it's odd that KOTS is similar to what Watanabe has done preciously yet, so different.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I have both Hanasaku Iroha and Colorful having seen and loved them fansubbed but just couldn't get into Kids On The Slope so I'm passing on that one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I definitely think dtm42's confusion stems from cultural misunderstanding. American culture, especially among males, tends to value independence and personal space over close platonic relationships. There are many reasons for this-the romanticism of lone heroes, homophobia of young males afraid of being perceived as gay to their peers if they get too close to another male, etc.

I don't think it is a cultural misunderstanding. Like I said before, if one of the boys had been female their friendship/relationship would have been indistinguishable from your typical Anime romance. But because they were both male and had female love interests, all of a sudden their relationship drama is automatically relegated in viewer's minds to a platonic friendship.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
This is absurd. You can't claim something isn't being honest with itself, when the "truth" is only something that YOU perceive.

First off, I'm not the only one who noticed the homoerotic undertones. Secondly, I'm saying the show should have been true to how its characters acted. They were straight but only because they had female love interests. Take Ritsuko and Yurika away and what does Sentaro and Kaoru's 'friendship' look like now? A gay relationship. And I'm basing that on comparisons to Anime relationships.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I guess I'm not seeing how that's exclusive to romantic relationships. I've been jealous when I felt like I was getting ditched by a friend for a cooler friend; I feel left out when a close friend starts hanging out with someone else more than me. I have had fights with friends that have ended in tears. That's the nature of close friendships.

I'm not denying that. But come on, do I have to repeat the part about their friendship being indistinguishable from a relationship if they were a hetero pairing?

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
This is where I fundamentally disagree with you. I do not think they "acted gay" at ALL. You are saying that it's not possible to have a tumultuous, close, personal, emotional friendship between two men without saying that they're acting gay. Why? That's absolutely ludicrous. What's a normal, straight friendship supposed to look like? Dudes punching each other and shrugging when emotional stuff happens?

Of course a close friendship between men does not have to have punching and no emotional involvement at all. What I am saying is that when a friendship is indistinguishable from a relationship, maybe one should look into that instead of still assuming that they are 'just' friends. They might not have ever kissed or held hands or anything, but come on, the relationship flags are definitely raised and there's a clear undertone of homoeroticism, whether intended by the production staff or not.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Is my tumultuous, emotional, sometimes-jealous, sometimes-angry friendship with my female best friend more straight because we're both women, and that's acceptable for women?

Of course it is culturally acceptable and expected for Western women to be more emotional with one another than men are with one another. I don't know if I'd call your friendship "more straight" though.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
It's not that the show isn't being honest with itself. It's that you can't conceive of a friendship between two hetero men that's this emotionally involved.

If you're talking about Anime, then yes I do struggle, because I can't remember another platonic male friendship in Anime where the characters acted so much like lovers but were actually both straight (and where there were no gay undertones).

If you're talking about real life, then don't be daft. Emotionally involved isn't the issue; of course boys get as emotionally involved as girls, especially in their closest friendships. What is the issue is the way that the emotion towards the friend is displayed. I mean, have you ever watched guys interact with one another? The emotional investment is certainly there, but not the level of extroverted displays of emotion. I've never experienced - nor have I ever seen throughout all my years of schooling and in the workplace - male best friends acting like Kaoru and Sentaro did.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Plus, I still find nothing wrong with guys talking, like actually talking, with each other. Call it wimpy or whatever, but it's refreshing to see two males not put up a front when it comes to familial problems, having fun, and, of course, playing music.

This may surprise some people after all I've said, but I don't find anything wrong with that either. Boys gossip and tell their friends about the craziest things.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Reading all these comments about how Kaoru and Sentaro are gay are making me wonder if I was watching a different a show, because I never viewed their relationship in that way Confused

I've never been that interested in Colorful, no idea why, but I think that I might get that one. Sounds like it's a good one!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Reading all these comments about how Kaoru and Sentaro are gay are making me wonder if I was watching a different a show, because I never viewed their relationship in that way Confused

Sigh. Do people even read anything any more? I don't think anyone in this thread has said Kaoru and Sentaro are gay. What some of us have said is there were certain instances in the show where there seemed to be clear homoerotic overtones layered in. Not that the characters themselves felt gay towards each other, but just how certain things were handled. Honestly, if those instances blew by you then you simply are not very observant. Please peeps, don't force me to rewatch this show so that I have to point out some of these pretty obvious examples, some of which have already been cited.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
I read everything, just worded my comment wrong. And I again, I never picked up on any subtle gay undertone that the writers tried to somehow insert into the anime.

You mentioned in an earlier comment that when Kaoru first sees Sentaro that the way that the shot was set up, that you were wondering if he was going to kiss him. I watched the first episode again a couple of days ago and I never got that impression. Now it could be that I'm not very observant like you said, but it could also be that I just saw that scene differently than you did.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
@ Ortensia1980 - it had been a while since I've seen that scene, so I went back and checked it out just now. I definitely did mis-remember the kiss thing, but I also forgot HOW COMPLETELY FRIGGIN' GAY THAT INTRO BETWEEN THE TWO LADS WAS.

Come on...Kaoru sees a shape under a sheet, so he pulls the sheet off. Here's how the show blocked that action and you tell me if I'm exaggerating at all:

The sheet comes off in slow motion, slowly revealing Sentaro's sleeping face ... Sentaro's eyes slowly open; he can only see Kaoru very fuzzily since he's still half asleep ... Sentaro's hand slowly drifts up to clasp Kaoru's hand ... and mistaking Kaoru for someone else (possibly his father?), Sentaro says, "You finally ... came for me?" Kaoru is apparently too surprised to speak. Sentaro finally wakes up fully and sees that Kaoru is a stranger. Then the hand-holding thing is played for laughs.

I remember a bunch of us chuckling over this in the KotS discussion thread. Yaoi references were made.

Honestly, anyone who watches that scene and doesn't detect even a scintilla of homoeroticism is in deep, deep denial.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
If he mistakes him for his father, does that make this both incest bait and homoerotic? Lets go all the way with out rose colored glasses of reading messages into things that are simply in the eyes of the viewer after all.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
Even though I've only just rewatched it, I'd completely forgotten about that bit. I guess that I disregarded it because Sentaro was still half asleep when he said it Embarassed
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
A show can have yaoi subtext AKA HoYay as a wink and nod to the fujoshi in the audience without making its characters gay. Happens all the time between shonen heroes and their rivals, I imagine it happens even more frequently in adaptations of josei manga, where the percentage of fujoshi fans is even greater.

The question is if the characters actions towards one another (rather than the atmosphere in certain scenes) is indicative of sexual attraction. There were no direct physical or verbal cues.

I see the argument that if the Ritsuko love triangle hadn't been a factor, Kaoru and Sentaro could've been a gay couple. I'm sure plenty of fans were frustrated that the show didn't do that (the same way many BBC Sherlock fans want Watson and Sherlock to just be a couple. Heck, Sherlock Holmes fans have interpreted Watson and Sherlock as a gay couple since the original short stories were printed).
The fact stands, however, that that was not the original author's intent. Is she being dishonest with herself and/or her audience?

As for friendships that are considered too feminine to *not* be gay in anime and manga, the first thing that comes to mind is Natsume and Kaname in Natsume's Book of Friends. I haven't read the entire manga (or seen the series), but it's obvious that the character's relationship is meant to be platonic despite their emotional closeness and sleepovers. I'm sure there are other example, especially in shojo and josei.

Heck, I'd argue that in Harry's relationship with Ron in Harry Potter is similar to Kaoru and Sentaro's, filled with drama, jealousies, and brotherly emotional closeness, but that's bringing British literature into the discussion for a second time. Not sure if it counts. Razz
smashwagon

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
All friendships are based on attraction anyhow, whether intergender or not. We want other people in our life because they are a lot like us, or a lot different, because something about them makes us happy, and allows us to express things that we can't easily express with people who are not our friends. This is especially true of musicians, some of whom, like Kaoru, are somewhat wooden and emotionally distant, but because of music he is able to tap into another layer of his own humanity. Sentaro was fully necessary for that as well, as his emotional reaction to Kaoru's emotional expression are what made the music they played together miles better than what either could do alone. There is a reason that band breakups are as rocky and estranged (or as ambivalent) as that of physical lovers.

The only clumsy aspect of KotS was the passage of time, that heightened some of the dramatic moments in poor ways, because it made everything look as if it happened within a few months, and large parts of the daily life and friendship are omitted.

I was disappointed that Hanasaku was not considered collection worthy as it is one of my favorite anime of all time, and I see the spunky optimism and can-do attitude of Ohana to be refreshing. Not really unlike Anne of Green Gables or other spunky naive heroines that show us the way we wished we lived and thought.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5