• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Critical Mass II: The Seasoning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. Getting the viewer hooked is probably the number one priority of any tv series. So, apart from personal tastes, I think it all comes down to being a good storyteller or not. If anything, anime creators seem to be under a lot of pressure to get the audience interested with the first episode only (which is also why that episode gets a lot of budget). That might push some of them to throw in everything they can think of, resulting in a mess ... but again, a good writer manages to get people intrigued from the start without overdoing it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that the first season of Horizon adapted 1 novel (split into two parts, but its considered "volume 1".

Generally, when you read a novel, you are expected to sit down and [expletive] read it. And not get mad its not explained everything in the first 50 pages.

The first half of the first volume of Horizon was episodes 1~6 of the first anime, and if you watch those episodes, and pay the fudge attention you will, by the end of them, have a decent idea of who the main characters are and what the crisis they will be dealing with is.

And if you go on to watch the last 7 episodes, which cover the second half of the first volume, you will know what the overarching theme and goal of the series is.

Now, if thats too difficult for some people, well, thats not my problem, and its not the show's problem either.

Literally, in episode eight, during a debate with the protagonist, one of the other main characters states plainly the core theme that runs throughout the novels.

Does that make it a "sub par adaption"? Maybe. I don't particularly care, because taken as a single work, its fantastic.

I hope that when the US BD comes out, whoever is assigned to review it gives it the attention it deserves.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Space Brothers - If you guys meant if it has a chance for a US release, then I'm happy to say it does:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-01/sentai-filmworks-licenses-space-brothers-tv-anime

If you meant, knowing it was licensed, whether it will sell or not, who knows, though Sentai thinks otherwise since they're giving it a BD release as well.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
Space Brothers - If you guys meant if it has a chance for a US release, then I'm happy to say it does:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-01/sentai-filmworks-licenses-space-brothers-tv-anime

If you meant, knowing it was licensed, whether it will sell or not, who knows, though Sentai thinks otherwise since they're giving it a BD release as well.

where did they say BD?
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
TnKtRk wrote:

where did they say BD?

Anime Weekend Atlanta...of course that can change by the time of its eventual release.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
TnKtRk wrote:

where did they say BD?

Anime Weekend Atlanta...of course that can change by the time of its eventual release.

I'll have to show the dub to my parents then. however I hope it comes out sometime soon then.
the english actors are going to have a lot to live up to though.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the incest/little sister fetish is getting old. It seems like every season there is at least one show with it(and usually ends with them not being blood related). But that fetish has been going on for more than a year.

As for them moving onto other fetishes, didn't they do that earlier this year with Mysterious Girlfriend X & the drool fetish? Although I hope that one never catches on, they're starting to experiment with other things.

TnKtRk wrote:

That's the way I took it after listening to the discussion. It just doesn't seem that would sell that well. Because like Zac mentioned, the show is basically a niche genre that will really only appeal to certain people who are interested in the space program. Much like anime shows based on video games(like Sakura Wars) usually only appeal to people who played the game.

I think that's the reason despite the praise they both got, that Moonlight Mile and Planetes never sold that well here.
Kamimura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:45 am Reply with quote
Man, I'd much rather have a bit of obfuscation haze than infodumping. Besides, you have a pretty good idea of what's going on by the end of episode 2 of Tempest.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Ok, I was too liberal on my interpretation of their words. I will rephrase it, SAO does not have much depth, like Theron and Rebecca seemed to hint at. I apologize if I misunderstood and/or misconstrued what Theron and Rebecca though about Sword Art Online.

No problem - I can be over-analytical when I get going - professional hazard. I once caught myself analyzing one of the old silver age romance comics I collect. Rolling Eyes At least I haven't started using literary theories on cereal boxes yet... Laughing

dragon695 wrote:
Ahh, good to hear, I was a bit concerned, but now I understand where you are coming from. I am afraid to say that I am watching for much the same reason, I really like the premise to an extent that I have fought tooth-and-nail against my better instincts to stop watching due to the execution. I, too, must belatedly admit that I have multiple shelves of both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance novels I bought during my Junior High years. Yes, Asuna's character is much better than the pet show, but the amount of otaku cheese coming from the last two episodes is more than was on the pizza I just ate.

Exactly! We do need stuff like that from time to time, and my totally-not-too-large book collection (Dad) is equally full of Forgotten Realms type books and more literary fare. I couldn't watch SAO without something else to balance it out, and I do enjoy it, but, well...let's just say it has its issues. Wink

vinamara wrote:
Ah yes, I should've thought of that. I was under the impression that they were all in a single room chatting while drinking Earl Grey tea and eating scones. Since they're all from ANN, I got that picture in my head.

Mmm, scones.

Part of the problem with me was probably that I was trying very hard to speak without my New England accent so that people could understand me better. It can be pretty thick if I don't consciously think about it, and my state's love/hate relationship with the letter "r" can be confusing for people who aren't used to it. Honestly, I'm just pleased that I was able to keep the dogs quiet and the cats off the computer!
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
The audio quality (volume?) could be improved a bit, but I found Rebecca pretty enjoyable to listen to. She seems to be a good speaker. Or maybe it's indeed the accent (not that I could tell, not familiar with US accents ...)?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The first half of the first volume of Horizon was episodes 1~6 of the first anime, and if you watch those episodes, and pay the fudge attention you will, by the end of them, have a decent idea of who the main characters are and what the crisis they will be dealing with is.

And if you go on to watch the last 7 episodes, which cover the second half of the first volume, you will know what the overarching theme and goal of the series is.

Now, if thats too difficult for some people, well, thats not my problem, and its not the show's problem either.

Literally, in episode eight, during a debate with the protagonist, one of the other main characters states plainly the core theme that runs throughout the novels.

Does that make it a "sub par adaption"? Maybe. I don't particularly care, because taken as a single work, its fantastic.

I hope that when the US BD comes out, whoever is assigned to review it gives it the attention it deserves.

Oh, I suspect that you'll be disappointed regardless of who reviews it, given that your avatar marks you as a series fanboy. (And please note that I'm not intending that as an insult; I freely admit that there are certain series/franchises that I'm a "fanboy" about.) You definitely don't want me reviewing it, because my opinion of the first season - haven't watched past episode one of the second - isn't that high; in fact, I'd use it as a classic example of the "series doesn't stand alone from the source material" phenomenon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Oh, I suspect that you'll be disappointed regardless of who reviews it, given that your avatar marks you as a series fanboy. (And please note that I'm not intending that as an insult; I freely admit that there are certain series/franchises that I'm a "fanboy" about.) You definitely don't want me reviewing it, because my opinion of the first season - haven't watched past episode one of the second - isn't that high; in fact, I'd use it as a classic example of the "series doesn't stand alone from the source material" phenomenon.

I guess hoping for an objective review was a bit much.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
I wish they would re-do Excel Saga as an anime. The manga is finished, and the original anime really didn't follow the manga at all.

It also fits in with what seems to be popular today. It's got Moe, it's got incest, there's a sort of harem...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
The idea of a first episode making or breaking something is so foreign to me because I, apparently, approach shows so differently. I don't "test the waters" when it comes to a show. When I start a show, I have every intention of watching every single episode it has, weather I'm immediately hooked or not. Do I drop shows? Yes, but not because I feel lost or don't understand what's happening; I dropped them because I was bored or hated what was happening. I can certainly see why someone would dislike a show when they don't know what's going on, but that's why I keep watching. In good shows, things are always eventually explained. It may not be immediately, but when the creators feel it's the right time, they'll reveal it all. I mean, it took TTGL 18 episodes to explain why the humans were driven underground, and I don't think they could've done it any sooner, at least not to good effect.

I guess I just don't need to know everything right now because, in my mind, I'm gonna watch the whole show and then learn eventually, so no need to rush. I eventually learned why the humans were driven underground, why Menma didn't cross over, who Solty is, and who the eight lives that Balsa tries to atone for belong to. Making rash decisions to drop a show after a few episodes is something I both get and don't get at the same time. If you wanna drop a show after two episodes because you're bored or don't like it, fine. Dropping a show after one or two episodes because you're confused or don't understand the world, though? I say let it play out and see what it does, but apparently that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:

I guess hoping for an objective review was a bit much.

Seems to me that you're equating "objective" with "positive" here. Have you considered that an entirely objective review still could find the series to be a confusing mess of elements from multiple different genres crammed together? (See also Asuna Cryin'.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8