• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Underpants for Sale in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Underwear merchandise is a good idea. You can wear it and fan-out all you want without people being aware, unlike a t-shirt.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
I doubt it... Evangelion is originally and always will be for males because of 2.)loli (i.e Asuka, Rei)...

And here we have the anime fandom apocalypse. When female teenage characters that look like teenage characters get described as lolis, you know the downward spiral of labelling everything as GAR, moe or loli has gone too far. Way, way too far.

No it hasen't! Moe is extreamly popular in Japan, and besides Evangelion has some of the most earliest moe scenes in anime history! Moe has been around for a long time, its not like its a new thing... hell even some people in Japan say moe to say something is cute, and including the regular people that don't watch anime!

Nice. You called them lolis, I pointed out they're not, then went on to generalize the current state of anime fandom, and you brought my generalization back and improperly applied it to a specific series, as well as going completely off-topic on a separate word, meanwhile ignoring my actual point of your misuse of the word loli. Good job. Rolling Eyes

lolis? I believe your the one not understanding what your talking about... I was talking about moe~ which is a completely different thing... believe it or not Evangelion has some extremely moe~ characters Laughing and I'm not saying its a bad thing either, hell I'm all for moe~ If your talking about the first post I made then just say it... but really if you look back on the DVDs Asuka is drawn in several loli moments, and that was done FOR A REASON Rolling Eyes
neggiimmaa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
I doubt it... Evangelion is originally and always will be for males because of 2.)loli (i.e Asuka, Rei)...

And here we have the anime fandom apocalypse. When female teenage characters that look like teenage characters get described as lolis, you know the downward spiral of labelling everything as GAR, moe or loli has gone too far. Way, way too far.

No it hasen't! Moe is extreamly popular in Japan, and besides Evangelion has some of the most earliest moe scenes in anime history! Moe has been around for a long time, its not like its a new thing... hell even some people in Japan say moe to say something is cute, and including the regular people that don't watch anime!

Nice. You called them lolis, I pointed out they're not, then went on to generalize the current state of anime fandom, and you brought my generalization back and improperly applied it to a specific series, as well as going completely off-topic on a separate word, meanwhile ignoring my actual point of your misuse of the word loli. Good job. Rolling Eyes

lolis? I believe your the one not understanding what your talking about... I was talking about moe~ which is a completely different thing... believe it or not Evangelion has some extremely moe~ characters Laughing and I'm not saying its a bad thing either, hell I'm all for moe~ If your talking about the first post I made then just say it... but really if you look back on the DVDs Asuka is drawn in several loli moments, and that was done FOR A REASON Rolling Eyes

Really can we all just get along? Though I will have to agree with Sailorsean, there are plently of loli's in EVA
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Uh huh you know with Asuka always trying to prove how much of a women she is and Rei being all developed and whatnot let's not forget Misato the ultimate loli Rolling Eyes

Anyway I doubt otaku are worried about anyone seeing these underwear especially a girl Anime smile + sweatdrop
I'm surprised Japan hasn't made them the scape goats for their population crisis.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:

Anyway I doubt otaku are worried about anyone seeing these underwear especially a girl Anime smile + sweatdrop
I'm surprised Japan hasn't made them the scape goats for their population crisis.

Well, otaku can be boy or girl, but boxers can be for boy or girl too, so I guess you're right! Laughing
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Slightly more clever than I thought, but still... sometimes I wonder why no other series with actual artistic merit has to suffer this kind of absurd over-merchandising.

Well, you could say it's an ironic subversion of EVA's textual content as a criticism of escapism, or you could say that it's got to do with Gainax's odd co-dependent/abusive relationship with fandom, or you could say that it's about Gainax ignoring artistic integrity in merchandising and going for the big bucks.

Most likely it's all three, if indeed there's any diffference between them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
That's just pants.
sorry, couldn't resist
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
What, no toothpick design? Wink

I think these are a pretty good idea. It's a subtle way to show your otakuness that most people will never see.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
I don't see a problem with the idea of anime underwear. To me that's no different then all the people wearing Simpsons/Family Guy pjs pants, Hello Kitty underwear, or anything along those lines. If that's ok why is the idea of anime underwear so disturbing? Now I think the important question becomes what characters and images are being used. In this case we have a series with underaged kids in it, though using them in just say their Eva outfits is not that much different then having some underwear or pjs of say Chris or Meg from family guy. Of course the ones shown in the article don't have any of the characters at all so there's really nothing at all wrong with these ones. Plus how many of you (old enough to apply to this) had one of those old cartoon onesies back in the day? I know some of you must have rolled out of bed on Saturday mornings with your Care Bear and Thundercat underwear and onsies. This is no different. And an actual Eva Unit onesie would be pretty cool I think if you're 5-10. Sure would beat Spongebob. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4