• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
The problem is with disallowing good people to discuss their beloved series. Unfortunately, we cannot expect Crunchyroll to invest into moderation team, when they are not willing to pay their translators living wage and are trying to replace them with useless AI, aren't we?

Oh wait. Maybe we should do that.

I assumed ANN would eventually post an article about the Crunchyroll situation, so I was trying to hold off on discussing it any further until that happened (so as to stay on topic), but I'm starting to think they've decided against it. Which is fine, just surprising. I don't understand how Crunchyroll can justify turning off comments on their site when they still allow comments on their YouTube videos and social media posts. This is how they described their decision:

https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/28154006791188-Why-is-Crunchyroll-Disabling-Comments

Quote:
“At Crunchyroll, we prioritize creating a safe and respectful community environment. To maintain this standard, we are hiding all existing user-generated content, including comments and reviews, across all our platforms and experiences,”

Their explanation doesn't seem to match our current reality, so unless they plan to disable comments on other platforms at a later date, it sounds like they're being inconsistent with the silencing of users to make a "safe and respectful" environment.

malvarez1 wrote:
smurky turkey wrote:
I really like nearly all aspects of Elusive Samurai after seeing the first two episodes: it has amazing animation, they get creative with the presentation, the story is compelling and very brutal plus the combat is hectic as can be. My issue is with the contrast between the serious and the gags. Going from rather brutal scenes to a weirdo with bright colors or a board game is a rather acquired taste, I am not sure that I am a fan of it.

Some of the gags make me question watching while moments such as the big fight at the end and seeing Houjou get some justice for his unfair end are very powerful.

As someone who loves the manga, I feel obligated to warn you that the tonal whiplash never goes away.

That's unfortunate to hear. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but I fear it'll take a bit of getting used to. Especially if the English subtitles continue to handle names the way they've been doing so far, which has also taken some getting used to.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
isn't this just a harem where the girls have someone else they fell in love in first,or is it going in a different direction?

I've read a couple volumes of the manga, at least, which seemingly doesn't change much. At most I've seen inklings of romantic infatuation between Yanami and Nukumizu, but even that feels shaky; it feels closer to a couple of low-key weirdos and a likable dope more-or-less naturally building an odd collective companionship. It really doesn't feel like a harem to me, really closer to the likes of... perhaps Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends in terms of their overall dynamic and romantic interest, with how he's (un)lucked his way into friendship a la Eisenbeis' description. If nothing else, the bulk of what I've read so far has been them just kind of bumbling about together.

I know you asked for LN readers specifically, but I can at least give some description of what's to come.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
pikrodafni wrote:
isn't this just a harem where the girls have someone else they fell in love in first,or is it going in a different direction?

I've read a couple volumes of the manga, at least, which seemingly doesn't change much. At most I've seen inklings of romantic infatuation between Yanami and Nukumizu, but even that feels shaky; it feels closer to a couple of low-key weirdos and a likable dope more-or-less naturally building an odd collective companionship. It really doesn't feel like a harem to me, really closer to the likes of... perhaps Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends in terms of their overall dynamic and romantic interest, with how he's (un)lucked his way into friendship a la Eisenbeis' description. If nothing else, the bulk of what I've read so far has been them just kind of bumbling about together.

I know you asked for LN readers specifically, but I can at least give some description of what's to come.

I haven't read the novels, either, but if you think about it, a harem forming here would defeat the premise, since it would mean that one of the girls loses again. And the writing in episode 1, at least, is too smart and meta to stumble like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:19 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
pikrodafni wrote:

It's really funny you bring up Haganai as an example of a not harem,cause like...all of the club members are in love with the mc(excluding the kids at least)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the second ep of VTuber Legend, and it's now my #2 priority to see reviewed this season (after only Oshi no Ko). It is doing some very interesting things both visually and narratively, and I'd love to see commentary on them, especially from a reviewer who's at least somewhat familiar with the VTuber scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pip25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:14 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:

https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/28154006791188-Why-is-Crunchyroll-Disabling-Comments

Their explanation doesn't seem to match our current reality, so unless they plan to disable comments on other platforms at a later date, it sounds like they're being inconsistent with the silencing of users to make a "safe and respectful" environment.

Because, sadly but unsurprisingly, their "explanation" is just a canned PR statement that has little to do with reality. Or are they seriously claiming that they can create any kind of "safe community" by making it impossible for Crunchyroll users to interact on the site? It's like saying that a graveyard has a 0% crime rate from local residents. Would be funny if it weren't depressing.

This is not even anything new, I'm afraid. Crunchyroll has been gradually but consistently phasing out community features for years now. With their new layout and now the removal of user content, they have successfully arrived to being little more than a Netflix clone that happens to broadcast anime, as far as I'm concerned. I guess the only kind of significant feedback I can give is through my wallet.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I find it hard to mourn the CR comments pages too much. Aside from someone reliably telling me what timestamp to jump to so I could skip One Piece's interminable recaps, I think the primary thing missing from my life now is knowing how many pushups that guy on every episode of every show has unreasonably promised to do.

Tried watching Nokotan today and I feel like it's actually too absurd for me to really get into. It evokes uhh kind of a late-night surrealist Adult Swim vibe, or something? I laughed, but not enough to keep up with it.

Think VTuber lost me on the second episode; ended up cutting it off halfway in. I don't have much attachment to VTubing culture in general, so that probably doesn't help, but mostly I just got tired of hearing 'Strong Zero' every few seconds and the frequent yelling.

Well, I've been watching way too many premieres anyway, probably time for a culling.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Granted it's been forever since I watched it so that might not be the best comparison, and I'm treading close to the same territory as with Isekai Shikkaku from before (nonetheless, it did not feel like the harems I am experienced with despite the romantic interests I do recall). I could name others though, like Salad Bowl (two infatuated with our main duder at most as of the end of S1). Either way, feels closer to a goofy hangout sort of thing rather than, say, Beast Tamer.

I'm likewise interested in seeing someone familiar with VTuber culture covering Legend after episode 2. Also appreciating how it's staying unhinged and blatantly gay!
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:28 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I find it hard to mourn the CR comments pages too much. Aside from someone reliably telling me what timestamp to jump to so I could skip One Piece's interminable recaps, I think the primary thing missing from my life now is knowing how many pushups that guy on every episode of every show has unreasonably promised to do..

I agree. The most comments in my language ranges from idiotic ("click here if... something") to useless ("hello fellow premium users").
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:28 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I never bothered with the Crunchyroll comments, but getting rid of reviews is just plain stupid.
Essedess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does everything that's not a straight romance seem to always get much higher ratings from the ANN staff? As long as it's dealing with homosexuality (male on male, female on female not so much) or cross dressing, it's an automatic +1.5 points, on average. On the other hand, anything else is nitpicked withing an inch of its life. It's getting boring.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
Which yuri series were rated poorly?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:48 am Reply with quote
Alya's (hetero) 3.5 / 2.5 / 2.5 / 3 / 4.5 doesn't seem very much lower than Senpai is an Otokonoko's (cross-dressing/identity) 4 / 3.5 / 3 / 4, or Twilight's (BL?) 4.5 / 4 / 3 / 3.5? Maybe about a half-point difference, on average (and I suspect that might be overstated, given one fewer reviewer chose to review the latter two, which may correlate with less interest/unobserved lower rating).

In Spring 2024, it looks like Spice & Wolf (hetero) received an identical median rating to Jellyfish, and was only trailing behind Euphonium (though there've even been articles here arguing about how to classify Eupho's romantic pairings and non-pairings...). In Fall 2023, the top-rated romance seems to have been 100 Girlfriends (hetero-harem), beating out I'm In Love with the Villainess (which I'm not really familiar with, but I gather was yuri?).

There are definitely some ANN reviewers who've been very outspoken about wanting more LGBTQ media, but skimming through the past few seasons' Preview Guide ratings, if there's any kind of large effect from that, I think it's pretty hard to spot. Just my opinion, but I'd guess production, execution, and writing quality probably mostly swamp other factors.
Daerian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Essedess wrote:
Is it just me, or does everything that's not a straight romance seem to always get much higher ratings from the ANN staff? As long as it's dealing with homosexuality (male on male, female on female not so much) or cross dressing, it's an automatic +1.5 points, on average. On the other hand, anything else is nitpicked withing an inch of its life. It's getting boring.

Let's see some spring romance series:

Tadaima, Okaeri (yaoi) 3/2,5/2,5/3 Average = 2,75

Whisper Me a Love Song (yuri) 4/3,5/3,5/3,5 Average = 3,625

A Condition Called Love (hetero) 3/2/2,5/3 Average = 2,625

Spice & Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf 4/3,5/4/4 Average = 3,875

Let's see some summer romance series:

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian (hetero) 3,5/2,5/2,5/3/4,5 Average = 3,2

Twilight Out of Focus (yaoi) 4,5/4/3/3,5 Average = 3,75

Senpai is an Otokonoko (all) 4/3,5/3/4 Average = 3,625

The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies (hetero) 4/4/3,5/3/4 Average = 3,7

I fail to see your point at all. Maybe, just maybe, you are prejudiced against LGBTQ shows and dislike how they are getting good scores for their good story?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:57 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Alya's (hetero) 3.5 / 2.5 / 2.5 / 3 / 4.5 doesn't seem very much lower than Senpai is an Otokonoko's (cross-dressing/identity) 4 / 3.5 / 3 / 4, or Twilight's (BL?) 4.5 / 4 / 3 / 3.5? Maybe about a half-point difference, on average (and I suspect that might be overstated, given one fewer reviewer chose to review the latter two, which may correlate with less interest/unobserved lower rating).

In Spring 2024, it looks like Spice & Wolf (hetero) received an identical median rating to Jellyfish, and was only trailing behind Euphonium (though there've even been articles here arguing about how to classify Eupho's romantic pairings and non-pairings...). In Fall 2023, the top-rated romance seems to have been 100 Girlfriends (hetero-harem), beating out I'm In Love with the Villainess (which I'm not really familiar with, but I gather was yuri?).

There are definitely some ANN reviewers who've been very outspoken about wanting more LGBTQ media, but skimming through the past few seasons' Preview Guide ratings, if there's any kind of large effect from that, I think it's pretty hard to spot. Just my opinion, but I'd guess production, execution, and writing quality probably mostly swamp other factors.

Thanks for taking the time to look it over (same to the poster above!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 29