• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:35 pm Reply with quote
If it matters to anyone, Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World? is from the same author who wrote Our Last Crusade (and also God's Game We Play, so Kei Sazane has the rare honor of having two series based on his works out in one season (and three in just two seasons). Wasn't surprised to learn that, since it has the same kind of middle-of-the-road feel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ktarf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote
As expected from Troyca, ATRI looked amazing. I enjoyed the premiere a lot, but I'd really like to know what VN players think, as VN adaptations don't have a good track record.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:55 pm Reply with quote
If it helps, Rebecca, as someone who's played the VN, the scene with Catherine speeding away on her bike was not in the game, and she does get better and move past her unscrupulousness later on.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Given the first episode of Too Many Losing Heroines! I will very likely be watching more of the show, probably the entirety. This is in part due to the wonderful animation, the quirky (though more on the annoying side of it) characters and how the group of loser heroines will grow together. Above all though, I will be watching because it is amusing as heck to see Kazuhiko deal with so much bullshit. The man can not go anywhere in or out of school without attracting more bullshit that he has to deal with.

Atri is an avoid for me since I can smell the tragedy and assuredly sad ending coming from a mile away.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:24 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
If it helps, Rebecca, as someone who's played the VN, the scene with Catherine speeding away on her bike was not in the game, and she does get better and move past her unscrupulousness later on.

It does help, thank you! I take it the game is worth playing? I've been looking at it for ages and just somehow never got around to it.
pi8you

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Liking that new ED, MHA.

Bye Bye, Earth was certainly fun to watch, worth sticking around for now even if I'm not completely sold on it.

Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World? was just... there. Easy skip.

ATRI -My Dear Moments- set up a great world and an interesting situation with the lead, but yeah, I don't know that I can get aboard with Atri herself.

Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines! was excellent, great chemistry all around and it looks great, very easy keeper.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I really like nearly all aspects of Elusive Samurai after seeing the first two episodes: it has amazing animation, they get creative with the presentation, the story is compelling and very brutal plus the combat is hectic as can be. My issue is with the contrast between the serious and the gags. Going from rather brutal scenes to a weirdo with bright colors or a board game is a rather acquired taste, I am not sure that I am a fan of it.

Some of the gags make me question watching while moments such as the big fight at the end and seeing Houjou get some justice for his unfair end are very powerful.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Erehwon isn´t just backward for Nowhere. It also reads spoiler[Now Here].

Big-brain thinking like that ended up giving Ubaka Japan´s answer to Hugo/Nebula before the age of 30. The whole thing is a neologistic naming BONANZA and the author was 23 when he finally got his 1058-page doorstopper published in its original form. With covers by Yoshitaka Amano! So assume that you are watching a 20 or so college dropout´s first try being played out who wrote it before a truly useful internet existed while writing for Shenmue during his day job. Suddenly, it all becomes more impressive.

In conclusion: I certainly hope that the show works out financially to take Issekai back even further to its roots. Make a proper anime out of Yoshiyuki Tomino's Wings of Rean now that his 80s novels are back on the table due to Hathaway. Even 70s IPs are getting anime revivals these days. It would become the most extreme, bleak and politically problematic isekai anime of all time (the books have no mechs) and get everyone involved canceled but it wouldn´t be boring. Put your MIGA hats on Sunrise and Make Issekai Great Again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
FireChick wrote:

It does help, thank you! I take it the game is worth playing? I've been looking at it for ages and just somehow never got around to it.

I think the game is fine, though it feels too much like it's trying to be a Key game, to the point of reusing a lot of their signature tropes and character archetypes. There are genuinely good parts about it, but others...not quite so much. I found it to be a mostly good experience, though your mileage may vary. I played it on the Switch thanks to setting up a Japanese eShop account...though why the English version isn't on the American eShop is anyone's guess.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Glad Rebecca shares my annoyance with Makeine girls' uniform! Very Happy

If nothing else, it would make an easy cosplay material. It is rather simple to make, and still distinguishable enough from other school uniforms.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:38 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I think the game is fine, though it feels too much like it's trying to be a Key game, to the point of reusing a lot of their signature tropes and character archetypes.

Not surprised by this, since the anime version gave me a fairly strong whiff of Key-sourced VN content.

Anyway, Makeine was a pleasant surprise, as despite some hype, I wasn't expecting a lot out of it. Of the reviewers, my reaction was most similar to James', and it's definitely making my weekly viewing list. Far less enthusiastic about the day's other two debuts, though I'll probably watch at least a bit more of Why Does Nobody Remember?

Starting to work my way through ep 2s to shore up my viewing list. I'm a little concerned about I Parry Everything after it seemed like the artistic quality took a downturn in ep 2, but it's still making the cut, and I may continue with The Ossan Newbie Adventurer just to get the contrast of two of the season's most similar-themed shows. Failure Frame is still much more likely than Tasuketsu (which I find just too ridiculous) to make my trash viewing cut, bad CG and all. OTOH, Quality Assurance and Dungeon People both look like solid keepers, and I apparently don't find Days With My Stepsister to be anywhere near as dull as many others do. A few others are still possible if they pass muster with episode 2, and I'm saving a slot or two in case one or both of the August debuts prove worthwhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:29 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I really like nearly all aspects of Elusive Samurai after seeing the first two episodes: it has amazing animation, they get creative with the presentation, the story is compelling and very brutal plus the combat is hectic as can be. My issue is with the contrast between the serious and the gags. Going from rather brutal scenes to a weirdo with bright colors or a board game is a rather acquired taste, I am not sure that I am a fan of it.

Some of the gags make me question watching while moments such as the big fight at the end and seeing Houjou get some justice for his unfair end are very powerful.

As someone who loves the manga, I feel obligated to warn you that the tonal whiplash never goes away.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Loser Heroines was much funnier than I anticipated.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:30 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Thank you for compiling this data.

No problem, glad you found it useful/interesting!

FilthyCasual wrote:
Loser Heroines was much funnier than I anticipated.

Same! More lavishly animated, too; someone really loves those bento. This show caught me completely off-guard.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Watched Losing Heroines and really liked it.Also among the prettiest premieres of the season (along with elusive samurai,mahou shoujo one and wistoria) Just have a question for LN readers that might have slight spoilers, isn't this just a harem where the girls have someone else they fell in love in first,or is it going in a different direction?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 29