• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Ok sooooo I reported the vendor and they told me they would look into it. They said the best bet is for us to go through and report each individual item. The more reports the better.

The report hotlink is right under the sellers info. Report 'em all!!

row row baby, row row. haha
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
Though it would be extremely rare, to say the least, for a legitimate anime company to release an anime as region free, I actually don't believe that the sheer act of not setting a region flag violates any copyright legislation - at least, not on the international scale. Perhaps someone could correct me on that?
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Though it would be extremely rare, to say the least, for a legitimate anime company to release an anime as region free, I actually don't believe that the sheer act of not setting a region flag violates any copyright legislation - at least, not on the international scale. Perhaps someone could correct me on that?

The initial 2 Utena DVDs from CMI (episode 1-13) were region-free. Although with multi-region players essentially ubiquitous today, why do companies even bother? Confused
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:

It's the prerogative of individual distributors to set region locks on their releases. There's no law that supports or goes against it, anywhere.

It's rare, but it's out there. Heck, I just got a legit DVD today that was region free (I expected it to be R2). Razz
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
The Now and Then, Here and There boxset from CPM was region free.

IIRC most adult videos from Japan are also region free. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

IIRC most adult videos from Japan are also region free. Embarassed

Almost all Blu-rays from Japan are multi-region too. Smile I think Australia's gone that route too.

Now if only we could have the same blessing for DVD players on our PCs...
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I think the only place that isn't region-free is the US and Eruope. Im pretty sure its because of language, not because of locking onto distirbution and promotion.

I dont think there is much reason to buy pure Japanese DVDs and Blue-ray from Japan unless you understand Japanese. They dont have english subs. I dont think they even have subs, but I could be wrong. In Taiwan, all DVDs and BR is in Chinese and sometimes with japanese vocals and chinese subs. Japan may do that.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Gah...even though I already have the Complete Collection DVD, I still haven't picked up that box set yet. Confused I swear to god, it'll be mine soon enough. Twisted Evil
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Starsplash Taiwan wrote:

I don't think there is much reason to buy pure Japanese DVDs and Blue-ray from Japan unless you understand Japanese. They don't have english subs. I don't think they even have subs, but I could be wrong.

Some Japanese BD do have English subs, but they are few and far between. The first Nanoha movie Japanese BD has English subs (and from what I have seen they seem good too)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Some Japanese BD do have English subs, but they are few and far between. The first Nanoha movie Japanese BD has English subs (and from what I have seen they seem good too)
Hell, some of them have the English dubs too. Look at Baccano!.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Hell, some of them have the English dubs too. Look at Baccano!.

I am curious to see how Baccano! looks on BD. If it looks good I might be tempted to import it here in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Starsplash Taiwan wrote:

I don't think there is much reason to buy pure Japanese DVDs and Blue-ray from Japan unless you understand Japanese. They don't have english subs. I don't think they even have subs, but I could be wrong.

I went to the book convention here in Taiwan. One of the buildings was for anime. I was talking to one of the main anim DVD/BR distributors here in taiwan who had a big stand there. There were so many titles that I wanted, (Vampire Bund, Mayoineko Overrun, Shana 2, Sekirei Pure Engagment, Ladies Vs Butler, Soro No Otoshimono, Beat Angel and many of the recent ones that came out last year). I was so bummed to. The guys told me that even in Japan, its very uncommon for english subs because there wasn't a need for it. However, Chinese subs was added to everything. IN Taiwan, its all Chinese with option of Japanese subs, common for Japanese language, but no english subs at all. Its the same with Japan, but everything is in Japanese with option of chinese.

I wasn't happy LOL. But ya.... Im pretty sure its just about demographics and geography when it comes to language and subs..
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I am curious to see how Baccano! looks on BD. If it looks good I might be tempted to import it here in the near future.
From the pics I've seen, I'd say it looks pretty damn good, especially since it's just an upscale. You can look on Anime on DVD for some pics.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
Starsplash Taiwan wrote:
I went to the book convention here in Taiwan.

Taipei International Book Exhibition (TIBE) 2011.

Starsplash Taiwan wrote:
One of the buildings was for anime.

Taipei Show Hall 2 (formerly Taipei World Trade Center Hall 2), holds exhibitors of manga, anime, light novels, game books and cards. Unlike North America, the manga readership here significantly outnumbers anime watchers. Many manga fans (female ones in particular) don't even bother watching anime, including those adapted from their favorite manga.

Starsplash Taiwan wrote:
IN Taiwan, its all Chinese with option of Japanese subs, common for Japanese language, but no english subs at all. Its the same with Japan, but everything is in Japanese with option of chinese.

That's not exactly the case. Most anime DVD have Chinese sub and only Chinese sub, but some (notably Ghibli titles) have Japanese sub, and sometimes even English sub. A few titles (namely ATASHIn'CHI) don't have Japanese dub due to licensing issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LDSman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
What does it mean when the DVD is "certified by the Malaysian Gov't?"

To be more specific, is the box set of Highschool of the Dead a bootleg even though its certified by the Malaysian Gov't?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 33