• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Verizon Drops Funimation Channel from FiOS Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

3) It was only dubbed. I understand the need to appeal to the larger audience of dub-only viewers, but given that the channel runs 24/7 and has only a limited inventory of material to show, it wouldn't have cost them much to show the programs with both dubs and subs. Most episodes air multiple times each day; why not show at least one episode with subs? (I'm guessing English VA contracts might play a role here, but I have no evidence for this.)

In addition to the problems mentioned by others, such as already having the shows they aired that I was interested in, this was my biggest problem with them. Anime Network has made subtitled versions of its dubbed shows available, such as Angel Beats, and they are only VOD. I don't know why Funimation can't do it when they are running 24-7.

I can understand not running subtitled material in prime time, but there is no reason they couldn't show it late at night or at other times.
American television standards allow for two audio channels and up to four subtitle channels. There's no technical reason not to show both at once.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Whoever at Verizon decided to do this illegal act should be [expletive] shot! IT'S TIME FOR THEM TO LEARN WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU fudge A STRANGER IN THE ASS!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Whoever at Verizon decided to do this illegal act should be [expletive] shot! IT'S TIME FOR THEM TO LEARN WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU fudge A STRANGER IN THE ASS!

How is it illegal? Cable companies are perfectly within their rights to drop underperforming channels.

Edit: damn autocorrect!

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I was *just* considering the switch to FiOS, but I guess there's no need to now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

How is it illegal? Cable companies are perfectly sighing their rifts to drop underperforming channels.

Ain't you heard? Clyde Cash is the law in these here parts an' if he don't like something, it ain't legal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't have Verizon at all, on Dish on demand, they have Anime Network, but all anime episodes are not free, but some of them are as a free preview.

On AT&T U-verse TV, you have to get HD prenuim pack to watch FUNimation.

I remember when I have Dish Network and FUNimation block on Colours TV and it used to be 4 hour block from 5 years ago until they shorten it into 2 hours from 4 years ago and it was gone in 2008. I really enjoyed Kodocha, First series Slayers, and Fruits Basket. But last year, Colours TV was completely dead. SyFy removed anime last year, and we still have to watch Bleach in 4:3 form on AS.

I buy anime used from stores like the Pawn Shop if I'm lucky, MovieStop, and FYE. I can afford it to support the company though.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The Funimation Channel is the primary channel I watch on Fios. I have called them, and posted to their twitter and facebook pages asking them not to drop the channel. It really is the reason that I have the package and number of boxes I have in my home. I switched to Fios from Comcast when Comcast dropped The Anime Network from their offerings. I really encourage others who have any interest in the channel, or supporting a 24/7 anime channel, or at least supporting fellow anime fans who do watch the channel to call or post their opinions.

If nothing else, I do hope they can make Funimation Channel a subscription channel or subscription VOD service, but like others have said if it comes to that, I may as well just stick with Netflix, Hulu, and Funimation's own video services. It's really a shame because even my mother bought shows after seeing them on the channel.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Cable TV is a waste of time and money. I watch anime all the time through the internet or on my disc collection. Right now I am waiting for the final BD of 12 Kingdoms. For new shows I'm watching Chihayafuru. Verizon can kiss my ass.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
One of the primary reasons to dub anime is to show it via broadcast.

Anything that takes away from that need to dub, no matter how slight, is not a good thing to most of the fans or the industry.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
And yet, my town goes unscathed.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Sweetmusic_01 wrote:
Also according to the FUNimation Channel's website, they only do VOD with Xfinity
Sadly true.
machetecat wrote:
Eh, I'm in the same camp of "Already owns most of the stuff they aired on DVD, the rest were shows I didn't' really bother with".

Which makes it perfect for background noise. I would love a little more variety there.
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Then in that case, the cost-cutting must involve getting rid of any programming that Verizon would consider too niche for its customers.

Considering how slowly they are rolling it out to potential customers, that's really the pot calling the kettle black.

But at least now I can return to simply ignoring that shiny new glass rod in my utility closet.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
[quote="bglassbrook"]
Sweetmusic_01 wrote:
Also according to the FUNimation Channel's website, they only do VOD with Xfinity

Actually, if you look it up by individual providers, you can see that about a third of them only offer the VOD service, including Charter, Armstrong, Comcast/Xfinity, and Massilon. Some are subscription VOD. Though I have to say I've never heard of half of their providers. I only know Armstrong because it's a local one here in PA.
mistydawn_24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
I too called up Verizon and the rep had no clue they were dropping it. I voiced my complaint. I'm pretty much depressed if they take away my Funimation.

We need to all fight for our Funimation!
rurounikenshin.real

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
i dont think i going to miss them much yes there was a few anime i have never seen that i watch on the Funimation channel but about 99% of what has been played i have watch over and over some where els over the last 8 years both in dub and sub. i was one of the few that had watch bleach when it only had 60 eps out in japan at the time. and lot of the show avabile on the funimation channel is ethere on youtube or netflix. plus i was inpressed when i had gotten this channel when we had got the fios back int oct. but now it just a disspoment to me i have seen all of what is on the funimation or if the had played a show i have not seen the i look it up on netflix and had watch the show just i a few days.

yes i did like a 24/7 anime channel but not when the pay the same thing over and over again. really i just use it for nosie in the background. if i really went to watch anime i will eather play netflix on my ps3 strem to my ps3 of anime i have download or just play crunchroll form my computer to my tv and i get more choses that way and on my watch.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
nght5tlkr wrote:
I was *just* considering the switch to FiOS, but I guess there's no need to now...

Rolling Eyes
you were planning to swtich to fios to watch anime?
I don't get it, man. why would you not swtich to fios for the amazing fast fiber optic network?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4