• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can an american become an anime artist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
I have seen everyone since thunder cats and the original transformers.

So you're telling me you've seen every single animated television show, short, & movie since the early 1980s? Somehow I severely doubt that.

Teknoman blade wrote:
P.S. Pokemon is the worst show I've ever seen.

And what does this have to do with the argument at hand?

littlegreenwolf wrote:
You haven't watched enough shows.

You read my mind.

Look, just because you like anime better than Western animation, that is no reason to sell Western stuff short or call it "inferior" or otherwise belittle it. Hell, if it weren't for those "crappy Amerikan kiddy craps" or whatever you call them, anime wouldn't even exist! And as I said earlier, all you're doing is making the same ignorant generalisation as the thickheaded moron in high school who picked on your for liking "that kiddy 'Chinese' junk."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Look, just because you like anime better than Western animation, that is no reason to sell Western stuff short or call it "inferior" or otherwise belittle it.

Well said. Unfortunatly this seems to happen a lot among anime fans. On more than one occasion I have encountered anime fans who think american animation is crap, its not just with animation either as they often criticise American movies as well. It seems to me that some anime fans think just because they watch anime they have a better idea of whats good and whats not than people who don't watch anime.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
On more than one occasion I have encountered anime fans who think american animation is crap, its not just with animation either as they often criticise American movies as well. It seems to me that some anime fans think just because they watch anime they have a better idea of whats good and whats not than people who don't watch anime.

Aww, but it's fun to point out the mistakes in The Matrix Trilogy!!
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
1. I don't care what you severly doubt or not. I said what I said.
2. you mentioned something about pokemon in one of your replies to me i believe
3. Yes I have watched more than enough shows. I have more than enough reason to belittle american cartoons. with the exception of a few. how can i make an ignornat generalization if I have been informed. For example, I see how people my age think DBZ is very good. I think the very opposite for 2 among many reasons. I don't enjoy, for example, watching Goku and boo stand facing each other, like they are going to fight, for 5 minutes than the narrarator saying "find out what happens tommorrow." Second, turning an ememy into a cookie is way too childish. How ignorant can those two statements be? Watch the show then you'll see what I'm talking about.

4. I don't know if you noticed, but these are all opinions. I can think whatever and say whatever i want

Just in case you say I know nothing about pokemon, Scyther, the leaf pokemon was my favorite ever b4 i stopped watching

Last edited by Teknoman blade on Thu May 06, 2004 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess I must agree. you can't claim to no more about what's good just because you watch anime. And I think that matrix 3 was indeed the worst. I was like "WHAT!" when trinity died. true there are mistakes but it is an interesting concept. are we awake now or just dreaming?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
3. Yes I have watched more than enough shows. I have more than enough reason to belittle american cartoons.

Oh? And what exactly did they do to you to give you any sort of "reason" or "justification?" Did Optimus Prime kick sand in your face and take away your toys last week?

If you don't like them, fine. But don't go around like a witless fanboy proclaiming to the masses that "dem Amerikuns r dum cant maek cartunes like dose jappanes people!" And claiming you have "valid justification" makes you sound even stupider.

Teknoman blade wrote:
For example, I see how people my age think DBZ is very good. I think the very opposite for 2 among many reasons. I don't enjoy, for example, watching Goku and boo stand facing each other, like they are going to fight, for 5 minutes than the narrarator saying "find out what happens tommorrow." Second, turning an ememy into a cookie is way too childish. How ignorant can those two statements be? Watch the show then you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have seen the show. Guess what, it was made for children, genius! Also, what does this have to do with American animation being "inferior" to the immortal might of the Japanese juggernaut?

Teknoman blade wrote:
4. I don't know if you noticed, but these are all opinions.

As Zac's been known to say, a very misinformed one.

Teknoman blade wrote:
Just in case you say I know nothing about pokemon, Scyther, the leaf pokemon was my favorite ever before i stopped watching

What the hell does Pokemon have to do with this discussion? Are you really so dim that you missed my point with that?

Teknoman blade wrote:
And I think that matrix 3 was indeed the worst. I was like "WHAT!" when spoiler[trinity died.]

Okay...I'm just going to be nice and politely assume you never noticed the Spoiler tags in the post interface. But from now on, use them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
1. All of the garbage that I was talking about pokemon and dbz was to prove that I wasn't ignorant about cartoons. and yes by the way, get out of the house. If you are observant enough you can find things on many 18 and 19 year olds that hint at the fact they like DBZ. No its not only for kid.
2. I'M PROCLAIMING TO THE MASSES MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!. wow....you must have no intelligence. and plus, i don't have to justify myself to anyone especially when i state an opinion.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:57 am Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
1. All of the garbage that I was talking about pokemon and dbz was to prove that I wasn't ignorant about cartoons.

DBZ & Pokemon are American animation? I do declare you're a very confused individual.

Teknoman blade wrote:
and yes by the way, get out of the house. If you are observant enough you can find things on many 18 and 19 year olds that hint at the fact they like DBZ. No its not only for kid.

Did I say only children watched it? No. Do learn to read. It's intended audience was the 10-14-year old crowd, but many older individuals watch it. That tends to happen. Older teens watch Naruto and it was aimed at 12-14-year olds. Older teens watch Samurai Jack and it was aimed at a similar demographic. Just because it's aimed at kids doesn't mean teens & adults don't watch it. And similarly, just because teens & adults watch it does not mean it's an "adults'" show.

Teknoman blade wrote:
2. I'M PROCLAIMING TO THE MASSES MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!. wow....you must have no intelligence. and plus, i don't have to justify myself to anyone especially when i state an opinion.

All I'm doing is contesting what you say because most of it sounds like blind, childish nonsense and lies to attempt to validate it. You have yet to say anything that actually holds its own against a slight gust of logic.
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:17 am Reply with quote
lets re-clarify things for you to make them simple, you seem to be having trouble understanding the simplicity of what I'm saying:

1. anime is better
2. american cartoons are garbage.
3. these are all opnions
4. my references to DBZ and pokemon were just to disprove the notion i was ignorant about cartoons

these are the main points. There is no need to go off on some weird tangent and say who the target audience for pokemon is! get a life.

This was what I was saying all along b4 you decided confuse everything.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
1. anime is better

Good, good. You're actually stating an opinion without being an ass...

Teknoman blade wrote:
2. american cartoons are garbage.

Whoops. Nevermind.

Teknoman blade wrote:
3. these are all opnions

An extremely ignorant one, too, given how American animation is as diverse as Japanese. I mean, last time I checked Bakshi wasn't kiddy stuff, the Smurfs weren't exactly mature, and The Critic was a piece of primetime genius that was tragically overlooked. An apple. An orange. And a pear shaped just like Jay Sherman.

Teknoman blade wrote:
4. my references to DBZ and pokemon were just to disprove the notion i was ignorant about cartoons

And you say I'm confused? I never questioned your competency with anime, moron. Just Western animation.

Teknoman blade wrote:
... you seem to be having trouble understanding the simplicity of what I'm saying:

You're...talking to the mirror again, aren't you? You poor, poor boy.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
Although Nagisa seems to be holding his own quite well here, I couldn't help but add to this.

Teknoman blade wrote:

3. these are all opnions

Well, in all fairness, in the basest of definitions, there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. However it is possible to have an ill-informed and poorly formulated one. I'd say that you, Teknoman blade, seem to suffer this disease. Worse yet, it's a wiser man who knows when to bite his tongue than to open his mouth and prove himself a fool. (I think this is a biblical proverb as well, if I'm not mistaken. It has such a universal ring of truth to it though that I couldn't help but apply it here.)

Your statements have as much power and sense behind them that you might as well be saying, "I am L33T GUY!!!!1111 Anime are only teh most awesomest things that RU13!!!! All Americaaaan cartuunes are the SUXOR!!!!111"

I'd day that you've proven yourself quite the fool indeed.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Sat May 08, 2004 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:20 pm Reply with quote
1.you did question my competency with this "And as I said earlier, all you're doing is making the same ignorant generalisation " "An extremely ignorant one..." yes. you are confused. just take a look at your own writing.

2. opnions aren't wrong. they can only be agreed with or disagreed with. obviously you disagree with mine which is fine. but I don't go around saying yours is right.

3. you seem to be wondering where my justification for this opinion is coming from......again.
If you remmeber I said I've seen many american cartoons for a long time. And I've seen anime. jeez......How much more justification do you want. I've seen one and seen the other and I've made my judgemenet already. to me anime is superior
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
2. opnions aren't wrong. they can only be agreed with or disagreed with. obviously you disagree with mine which is fine. but I don't go around saying yours is right...3. you seem to be wondering where my justification for this opinion is coming from......again.
If you remmeber I said I've seen many american cartoons for a long time. And I've seen anime. jeez......How much more justification do you want.

This is true, that technically opinions "wrong," but so far you've only gone around saying "American cartoons are crap," and while you have "I have seen many American cartoons," as your justification...it would be nice to have a little more. It would be like me saying, "Bush is the best president there ever was," and then backing up my statement with "I've lived through many presidencies." You never say, what specifically about American cartoons you find distasteful; whether it's plot, art style, humour, what." You just say "anime rules and western animation sucks."
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman I dont think anyone has a problem with you saying anime is superiour to american animation. Must people here would probably agree that in general anime is better than American cartoons. The problem is your saying American animation is garbage. Thats just a very misinformed generalisation.
What about the excellent work by Pixar and Dreamworks. You can't seriously tell me that the likes of Monsters Inc and Toy Story are garbage.Or how about cult cartoons like The Tick,South Park,Family Guy and have you never watched The Simpsons.(Admittedly its rubbish now by it was excellent in its prime).
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
garbage when you compare it to anime. Hell I love the Simpsons. but in general American cartoons aren't as good when you compare them to Japenese anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5