• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Survey: Gateway Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat Megex

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Uh...it says the poll is closed for me, even though I'm a "registered user"...

EDIT: Oh, I see...I would have needed to register before the survey was created.

Anyway, I, too, watched shows such as Dragonball Z and Pokemon, but the one show that I would consider the "Gateway" for me was Tenchi Muyo. I never was able to watch the whole OVA on Toonami (although at that point, OVA 3 wasn't out yet), and didn't actually get to until years later, but I still consider that anime the turning point for me in relation to anime-watching.

Last edited by Cat Megex on Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
There's a small bug in the structure of the second question: while Doraemon was my first manga (gawd nobody shares my experience?! Had to add it into options...), it was not my first "anime and manga," for I've already watched anime on TV (Mazinger Z etc.) before that. In the end I chose "yes" because back then I had no idea what those titles were talking about when they aired (I was two).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Arcwave

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I was about to say Dragonball Z... but I think Pokemon was the first. Heck, I may have been watching both at the same time; this was back in '97-98.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop was mine.

In 2005, the company I worked for went Bankrupt, I was the IT department for a small company. I found a very lucrative job in the Natural Gas drilling field here in the Fort Worth, TX area as a flowback hand.

A partner and I would get sent out to a newly drilled gas well, and live on site in an RV for two to three weeks in an RV. We were there to make sure the thing did not blow up, or spew salt water everywhere, but really not much work involved.

We had Directv, so no shortage of stuff to watch.... except I had the night shift. At 3:00 am on directv, there is not much on, mostly infomercials, except for Adult Swim. My first weekend out, was coincidently the weekend I caught Asteriod Blues, the first Bebop episode. I was easily hooked, and soon caught the start of an adult swim Trigun cycle to seal the deal.
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
first anime i saw was Galaxy Express 999 but i was too young to even comprehend what was going on...

but Astroboy, ie Tetsuwon Atom was THE coolest thing i've ever watched...

i remember playing as Atom with other kids in the neighborhood acting out stuff from the series....that was SOOOOO long ago....

damm i feel OLD.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Nuts, Haibane Renmei was my first. Cowboy Bebop was my second though, so whatever.

Nice to see this survey Smile
kenshin77

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I think for many of us who were born in the 1980's and and went to High school in the 1990's that Sailor Moon was the the title that got us into Anime. I watched more of it when it was on TV, and then after I got tired of watching the replays or other Anime. I went to my comic book shop and bought Anime related Merchandise such as Manga where I bought Ranma 1/2 and Ah My goddess. From there I discovered other Anime such as Evangelion, Slayers, and Vision of Escaflowne.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that Voltron/Golion was the first ever Japanese animated program I ever watched, and long after I'd watched a couple episodes of Speed Racer, but it wasn't until Ronin Warriors/Yoroiden Samurai Troopers was running in syndication that I even noticed "Japanese cartoons" and became a fan of them. Ronin Warriors was the first anime I was a conscious fan of. I watched the entire show and loved it. A friend turned me onto it, because every time I came over to play the SNES with him (at the time I had the Sega Genesis and he had the SNES and we'd take turns coming over), he'd pause to watch it. I think it was in a lineup with Dragon Ball Z and Samurai Pizza Cats, but I didn't pay attention to DBZ until it aired on Cartoon Network.

Glory days, glory days.

I'm glad I have the Ronin Warrior DVD boxset. It's of course not nearly as impressive as it was to me as a child, but I watch it annually out of nostalgia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I watched anime, I vaguely enjoyed it. But it was not until I casually caught Boogiepop Phantom on Anime Unleashed (rest its soul) that I was totally converted.

Granted, BPP is not the most newcomer friendly show, and I fully expect to be the odd man out here.
skyesage

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin all the way man.

Though I didn't really like giving the year of my age...can the admins see who said what? I guess it doesn't matter.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Just one thing, I picked "Dragonball" as my gateway anime, but it seems like "Dragonball Z" has popped up on the list. Someone must have added it without reading the rules, so I just wanted to bring that up so a mod or something can delete it from the list before too many people select it.

Yeah, sadly with so many readers, we have a few that either don't pay attention, missread things, or in a few cases are just plain idiots. Fortunately it's only a small number...

I've hidden all the duplicate answers from the first and the last question. In fact, I've now locked the submission of new options to the last question... Pretty much everything people have been adding is covered by the pre-existing answers.

-t
BloodshotLint

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
All these titles that are too old for me to have seen as my gateway anime are making me feel young again!

I'm only 20, but you'd be surprised how old you feel when you get stuck taking pizzas to grade schools all day.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
^ Not everyone, I chose "Video Girl Ai" but now it didn't appear. Sad

I saw many, many anime before reading VGA, and even read one or two manga, but it was it that made me starting to buy manga/anime, for the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Since the survey is closed to newly registered members like me (oops.. hi), I guess I'll post my response.

My first exposure to anime was through poorly dubbed Daimos and Voltes V episodes (I lived in the Philippines for a while), but I didn't emphatically seek out other anime until I saw FLCL on Adult Swim.
beastman1975

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
1st animes i ever saw were Gatchaman ( G-force/Battle of the planets) and Space Battleship Yamato ( starblazers ) but guess when i saw Akira on vhs back in early 90's is what got me hooked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6