• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Starship Troopers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Now I'm even more excited to be getting Lucky Star Volume 1 LE soon. (It's in the mail and the mail isn't moving.) Considering how a combination of ultra social phobia and a school system convinced that talking while eating lunch was some sort of failure of public education, I never got to enjoy many lunchroom conversations. I look forward to the vicarious experience.

I've been hesitating on this one. Partly because I've been more in a action and science fiction mood the past few months (except when I need my comedy fix to keep me sane), and partly because the idea of the whole super cute/annoying/lovable almost always either puts me at the end of one of two ends of the spectrum. Either I love the show or I find it incessantly annoying. With all the hype of Lucky Star I've been a bit reluctant to pick it up in fear it'll wind up in the hating it category. The last show to get this much hype (IMO) that I tried was Haruhi Suzimiya. Honestly the show left me flat and unimpressed. So picking up Lucky Star has been a debate for me as of late. I could put it on netflix but I just upgraded my plan as is to finally get through all the other older stuff in my queue. I did just get a mail in rebate I had been waiting for though and it would cover vol 1 special edition. The last two items I've picked up based on a Shelf Life review by Bamboo have been enjoyable and smart picks so I guess I'll just go for #3 and hope I don't hit any whammies.

Richard J. wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Seems a little weird that Sarah arranges the books in numerical order from right to left.
What's so weird about that? They are read right to left after all.

Slightly defensive because he orders his manga the same way.

I organize mine the same way. It also helps because the way I have my "currently reading" bookshelf arranged in my room it puts the newest chapters closest to my bed for reading enjoyment. I'd still do it anyways. I'm seriously starting to wonder though Richard if either you're stalking me or my long lost sibling. The similarities are starting to stack up. Including.....

Richard J. wrote:
I've been enjoying Shuffle from the beginning but I'm a harem addict. Reading Bamboo say it gets better means I'll be elevating the series even higher on my list of awesome harem anime.

We need to start our own club, HLA (Harem Lovers Anonymous). A safe haven for all harem lovers where we can safely meet without worrying about torches and pitchforks heh. I won't deny my own fondness for harem shows and I had already picked up vol 1-3 of Shuffle as is. I had been debating about what new show to start on next (once I finish Noein) and after seeing Bamboo elevate it a bit I agree with you Richard, it gets moved up the list. Plus with Witchblade done with I need my fanservice fix heh.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
spoiler[Like Evagellion, none of the Kanon girls remain mentally stable at the end of the series. Mai, the psychoctic samurai was determined to fight off all the "demons", but I belive there were no demons, but in the end, she died. Ayu, somehow existed in Kanon despite falling from a tree and dying seven years before the series starts, Shori had a unknown illness and tried to kill her self, but Yuichi indirectly stops her, Makoto was once a cat, but somehow transformed in a human, only to pass on later and Nayuki was in love with Yuichi so much, even though they were cousins. So yes, this series does compare to Evagellion.]

Pfft. I dunno what version of the show you were watching :/

spoiler[
Firstly, Mai isn't psychotic, she's psychic. There were "demons", they were just created by her subconscious. Never seen Forbidden Planet? Also, she doesn't die.

Ayu doesn't die either, she's in a coma in the hospital for seven years. When people meet her in the series they're interacting with the projection of herself. IIRC, it's strongly intimated that she's saved by Mai's psychic powers.

You got Shiori right.

Makoto was a fox, not a cat. She transformed herself into a human so that she could meet Yuuichi again, before dying.

Yes, Nayuki was Yuuichi's cousin. Nothing that weird about it really, I'm guessing you didn't read this thread.]

So yeah... while there's a lot of supernatural goings-on, it's all fairly simple - lots of the plots are a little cliche anyways.
Comparing it to Eva, which is deliberately obtuse, and people can rarely agree on what the hell was actually going on... dude, you be trippin'.[/spoiler]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
spoiler[Like Evagellion, none of the Kanon girls remain mentally stable at the end of the series. Mai, the psychoctic samurai was determined to fight off all the "demons", but I belive there were no demons, but in the end, she died. Ayu, somehow existed in Kanon despite falling from a tree and dying seven years before the series starts, Shori had a unknown illness and tried to kill her self, but Yuichi indirectly stops her, Makoto was once a cat, but somehow transformed in a human, only to pass on later and Nayuki was in love with Yuichi so much, even though they were cousins. So yes, this series does compare to Evagellion.]

Pfft. I dunno what version of the show you were watching :/

spoiler[
Firstly, Mai isn't psychotic, she's psychic. There were "demons", they were just created by her subconscious. Never seen Forbidden Planet? Also, she doesn't die.

Ayu doesn't die either, she's in a coma in the hospital for seven years. When people meet her in the series they're interacting with the projection of herself. IIRC, it's strongly intimated that she's saved by Mai's psychic powers.

You got Shiori right.

Makoto was a fox, not a cat. She transformed herself into a human so that she could meet Yuuichi again, before dying.

Yes, Nayuki was Yuuichi's cousin. Nothing that weird about it really, I'm guessing you didn't read this thread.]

So yeah... while there's a lot of supernatural goings-on, it's all fairly simple - lots of the plots are a little cliche anyways.
Comparing it to Eva, which is deliberately obtuse, and people can rarely agree on what the hell was actually going on... dude, you be trippin'.[/spoiler]

But can you honestly say, spoiler[at the end of the series,any of the Kanon girls were mentaly stable? I did some more research and Mai tried to kill her self twice, if not more because of the "demons".

Although Shori had a slightly happier ending, she still fell into a coma after she kissed Yuuchi.

I made a mistake saying Makato was a cat, I know she is a fox now, but even after all that, see still passed on.

I realized Ayu didn't offically die, but how can one justify her disappearing after Yuuchi found an item she was looking for?

Its just creepy that Nyayuki loves Yuuchi in the romantic sense as well. ]

This is why I compare Evagellion and Kanon, both become spoiler[psychological at some point.]
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Seems a little weird that Sarah arranges the books in numerical order from right to left.

True, it is very much a matter of personal tastes. What I find weird about that method of organization is that is causes the order of the pages to be reversed with respect to the progression of the series (I apologize if my point isn't exactly clear, it's a little difficult for me to explain).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
With all the hype of Lucky Star I've been a bit reluctant to pick it up in fear it'll wind up in the hating it category.
One thing about hype, it seriously screws with a person's ability to enjoy a series. My number one rule of watching anime (or anything else) is to forget everything I've been told and just focus on how I, personally, feel about it. Plus I try not to analyze it on technical merits, just "do I like this story and these characters?"

By doing that, I've been able to enjoy a lot of series that people lambaste. It works wonders.

Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm seriously starting to wonder though Richard if either you're stalking me or my long lost sibling. The similarities are starting to stack up.
I've always wanted a cool brother.

Sadly, this means I still lack a little sister. Sad (And get your mind out of the gutter, I just wish I had a younger sibling so I'd have an excuse to act like a kid. Cool )

Wink

Psycho 101 wrote:
We need to start our own club, HLA (Harem Lovers Anonymous). A safe haven for all harem lovers where we can safely meet without worrying about torches and pitchforks heh. I won't deny my own fondness for harem shows and I had already picked up vol 1-3 of Shuffle as is. I had been debating about what new show to start on next (once I finish Noein) and after seeing Bamboo elevate it a bit I agree with you Richard, it gets moved up the list. Plus with Witchblade done with I need my fanservice fix heh.
I'm all for that. It does get a bit annoying having to read posts blasting series when often that person writing hasn't even watched it.

The knee-jerk reaction of some fans is surprising. One of the reasons I like Bamboo's reviews is that the majority of the time she gives specific reasons for why she does or doesn't like a series, not some all-encompassing "it's x genre crap" that some do. Sometimes I can use what she didn't like about a series as evidence for why I will like the series.

@ Big Hed: Actually I do get what you're saying, I just don't think it's an important factor in organizing. I'm used to flipping a book one way or the other after I take it off a shelf anyway, so it's not such a big deal to me. (Assuming I've actually understood what you're getting at. When the books are in right to left or 3,2,1 order, then the back of 2 meets the front of 1, meaning that the end of volume 2 is "starting" where volume 1 begins, is that what you were trying to get across?)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

True, it is very much a matter of personal tastes. What I find weird about that method of organization is that is causes the order of the pages to be reversed with respect to the progression of the series (I apologize if my point isn't exactly clear, it's a little difficult for me to explain).

But why does it matter that the person's shelves are diffrent than others? I really don't get the big deal here, unless there is a hidden message somewhere?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Baldr Force Exe is one that also appeared on my radar, but not knowing much about it, I really couldn't make heads or tails about it. So I am glad she reviewed it here.

I do have one question though about something she didn't hit on. How is the animation quality? And what kind of stylization does it use?

It's decent. I wasn't blown away by the animation, but it wasn't jarring either. Considering it was a based-on-a-video-game series that went straight to DVD, they didn't pour any mind-boggling effort into it. As for style, it's a very straight-forward armored mech show, done mostly in 2D, but with its fair shake of CGI effects, that occasionally stick out a bit.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But can you honestly say, spoiler[at the end of the series,any of the Kanon girls were mentaly stable?]

Uh... yes? All of them?

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
This is why I compare Evagellion and Kanon, both become psychological at some point.

Well, if you push it enough, you could say any series is psychological.

See, while at the end of Eva you can (should you so want to) analyse the motivations and thought processes of the characters. With Kanon you... can't, really. They tell you what they're thinking, and all their motives are entirely transparent. Makes any sort of psychological considerations kinda redundant, tbh. Much though I enjoy Kanon, I don't watch it for the complex characters.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Did heads really explode?
the_ferret

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm sort of an oddball in that liked those first slow Lucky Star episodes better than most of the later ones. The funniest parts of the series to me were always the girls talking to eachother and mundane slice-of-life bits, as opposed to the otaku bait which began to overwhelm at times. Occasionally the subtle homage was amusing, but the name-dropping and otaku culture stuff got old. Sure, it's probably a somewhat unfair criticism since I certainly didn't get all the references, but then I think the "recognition of something = funny" school of comedy is terrible as a whole.

For that reason I don't think the series has a lot of replay value, so probably won't pick it up. Maybe if they release a cheap box later on.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
How to put this? Shuffle sucks bigtime-the ending is the biggest hack job I've seen in a long time. Lucky Star is cute-but really isn't my cup of tea. Cute to me is Sugar-a Little Snow Fairy.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Yes. Very Happy I've updated the column with screenshots.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

And Shuffle I'll probably get when the boxset comes out. I've read that there may be an artbox released with the last volume, but I'm not buying 1-5 only to not get an artbox with the last volume, so I'll be waiting on that for a little while longer.

There's no "may" about it. It's definitely getting an artbox.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes. I've updated the column with screenshots.

There was one from a frontal view that show the head expanding like a baloon before.....

Hehe, it was kinda ridiculous, but it sure grabbed your attention. They could have done better overall, but I guess they thought their target audience would already know much about what was going on.

There is much worse out there that you can waste your time on, at least served a purpose on driving me to find out more about the story.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
One thing about hype, it seriously screws with a person's ability to enjoy a series. My number one rule of watching anime (or anything else) is to forget everything I've been told and just focus on how I, personally, feel about it. Plus I try not to analyze it on technical merits, just "do I like this story and these characters?"

By doing that, I've been able to enjoy a lot of series that people lambaste. It works wonders.

Yes it does. I'm sure many can ignore it and simply watch a series regardless but I am not one of them. I like to watch a series without having to hear about everyone's thoughts on it every 5 bloody seconds. I get irritated hearing about the same thing over and over and over again to the point I want to burn the dvds. I'm actually giving Lucky Star a chance much sooner then I normally would. I mean I waited until FMA was done airing completely of CN before I watched it. I also have avoided many shonen jump stories initially until the focus is on the next big one so I can watch the last one in some measure of peace. Or at least watch the one season in between others seasons if it's really long (Bleach/Naruto/One Piece).

Richard J. wrote:
I've always wanted a cool brother.

Sadly, this means I still lack a little sister. Sad (And get your mind out of the gutter, I just wish I had a younger sibling so I'd have an excuse to act like a kid. Cool )

Wink

First off if you want a cool brother keep looking lol. Now if ya want a deranged and annoying brother well you've come to the right place heh. And I may be pervy but I'm not THAT pervy Richard. I know you prefer your legal more voluptuous women heh.

Richard J. wrote:
I'm all for that. It does get a bit annoying having to read posts blasting series when often that person writing hasn't even watched it.

The knee-jerk reaction of some fans is surprising. One of the reasons I like Bamboo's reviews is that the majority of the time she gives specific reasons for why she does or doesn't like a series, not some all-encompassing "it's x genre crap" that some do. Sometimes I can use what she didn't like about a series as evidence for why I will like the series.

Unfortunately many people are ignorant little piss ants ready to denounce and bash something without ever even seeing one second of it. If someone simply doesn't like a show/genre but can give specific reasons, like Bamboo does as you mentioned, I can respect that and intellectually understand why they didn't like something. Those other kinds of people though, I wish there were tests people had to pass before being able to reproduce to avoid more of them. That or add some chlorine to the gene pool to clean it up a bit. I've actually never had a series from a review of Bamboo's that I decided to buy even though her review was not favorable. I've actually had the opposite, only twice though, where her review, where she liked the show, was detailed enough to show me I wouldn't enjoy it. Normally that's how it goes for me though. I'm just ass backwards I suppose.

SakechanBD wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Yes. Very Happy I've updated the column with screenshots.

Reminds me of the start of Elfen Lied almost. Nothing gets me going in the morning like a nice hot cup of joe and some exploding heads. A fine way to start the morning. At least that way I'm sure nothing could possibly top that and make my day worse or surprise me. I mean how do you beat exploding heads? And think of all the water cooler conversations you could start/end with that line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4