• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Simoun Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Man, if Simoun was planned to be a 52 episode series, that would have been one epic yuri series ever made! Shocked

Or the worse case scenario is that spoiler[the director likes to use open-ended type endings.] But I digress at this moment since we're only at the first volume, and we're still at the set-up stage.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
If you have seen the first 6 or so eps., then you have seen the best of the series. There are new characters added and plenty of stuff happens, but what kills the show is that the heart of every conflict is gutted, and you are left going "Hey, but what about...?" over and over. I'm not sure if this would have sunk in as much if you viewed it one ep a week, but I just watched the entire show over the course of a week or so a couple of months ago, and I just grew more and more frustrated as it went along.
The setup to everything is quite well done, so there was obviously a good show on paper at one time, but unfortunately it never made it to the screen. The manga may well be awesome and is probably very popular, but only with a niche audience. That would explain the actions of the producers (plan something grand, realize the numbers aren't there, and start making cuts).
From what I can tell, the producers decided to spent all their money on the girls' eyes (which looked spookily alien to me), their outfits and the CGI ships, in that order. They skimped on the script, as pertains to show length, the same way they did on the background art.
Looked at in this way, it's a pretty typical cash-in procedure which counts on the customer already knowing the plot from reading the manga, and who really just wants to see some of his favorite characters in an animated lip-lock.

Btw, when I referred to Kurau earlier, what I meant was that it would have been better if the yuri aspect had been downplayed. Kurau could have easily been a cheap yuri exploitation as well, but was instead handled with complete integrity and a determination to aim for something deeper and more meaningful. If Simoun had been handled with half as much integrity, it would have been a better show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3