• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with repetitive or predictable plot.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
There are so many harem titles because it is the easiest way to provide fan-service of a bunch of stereotypical girls at once, therefore nailing a giant range of people. Case point: Negima.
starseven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching season 4 of Yu-Yu Hakusho oops I meant Bleach. This is a prime example of repetitive anime. I know it was filler but they did a cut and paste job. I really didn't like the fact that they did that. I mean it's an obvious rip off. I guess they couldn't come up with original ideas for the filler so they borrowed part of Yu-Yu Hakusho.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there should be such a thread. Most, if not all anime have repetitive plot regardless. It's too easy to identify the obvious ones; Dragonball Z, Naruto, Bleach. Even such "masterpieces" like Cowboy Bebop and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya have their repetitiveness, however slight. One could argue that Cowboy Bebop shares similarities to the "Villian of the Week" motif in most of their episodes.
starseven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I tend not to agree. I think there are series that don't adhere to a plot line played out in a previous anime. I've seen a number of series that do tend to look a lot like another series. I however do recignize the fact that there are a number of animes that have plots and stories I've never seen played out before.

I know basic structures tend to remain the same across the board. There's only so many ways to arrange things. It's in the detail and how they choose to combine them to form the story. I've seen animes that combine very similar details or use very similar plot and tend to show a pretty good resemblance to another. There are however combination and plots which are very different from what you would expect from a certain type of anime. It's all about the mix. It's like cooking there are only so many ingredients that can be used but it's how you combine them and prepare them that makes the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ElementSun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
although some animes may have similar storylines and plots, there may be a numerous amount of other factors that contribute to the overall execution of the anime. It could be character development, music, tone, animation style, or the general flow and transition of the episodes. Every anime is unique in its own sense.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote
I find that most of the rep. animes are directed towards younger audiences. I think that making each and every episode formulative makes it easier for them to handle. I mean.. take power rangers,ninja turtles, or any other number of kids shows from back in the day.
vylo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for the alien/extra dimensional horror/fantasy/adventure cliche. Mechs are always a plus too.

Gunparade march, Evangelion, Rah Xephon, Eureka 7, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3