• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Manchurian Candidate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vifam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Is it just me, or have the dub script writers toned it down a shade for the third season? I seem to remember a higher quantity of English-only jokes in season two, but maybe I imagined it.

I always assumed it was because they had more time to work on the scripts than your typical anime dub. ADV licensed Sgt. Frog way back when, and never released it (possibly because they were trying to get it on TV and failed). By the time Funimation picked it up, the writers would have had time to rewrite the scripts several times more than the normal hectic anime release schedule. And if they were trying to get it on TV, then they were probably trying to write more jokes for a general audience.

It just seemed to me like more time and effort was put into the show than is usual for a dub, and that's why it's funny. More jokes overall, more of them actually funny/clever/coherent, and performances with better delivery and comic timing than dubs usually bother with.

Now that season 3 is out, it's being sold to the usual anime-on-DVD audience, so perhaps that extra time for funny is a luxury they can't afford.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
One thing I did think was a bit interesting about Utakata was that they had a different guest artist draw the costume for each episode. And we're not talking just a bunch of nobodies that have only worked on obscure titles, but artists that while people may not immediately know their names, they'd know the works they've done such as Rikdo Koushi (Excel Saga) or Ken Akamatsu (Negima). After looking into it a bit more, it made sense since the same group did Kiddy Grade in which they did something similar, but it was kind of neat knowing that so many different people had a hand in the show.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Must. Schedule. Trip. To. Cambridge.

Seriously, for a public collection, that's very impressive. If there were a free outlet, a bathroom and a food source nearby, you probably wouldn't see me for months.

Makes me think about what'll happen to my meager collection after I'm gone.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
Must. Schedule. Trip. To. Cambridge.

Seriously, for a public collection, that's very impressive. If there were a free outlet, a bathroom and a food source nearby, you probably wouldn't see me for months.

Yeah, too bad they don't ship.

Am I mistaken, or is this the first alphabetized collection to put Haruhi under H rather than M?
Sailor S wrote:
Heh, I'm kinda pleased that my manga collection is larger than MIT's, and my DVD/BD collection is respectably close. And then I remember how much I've spent on my collection, and I wish mine had been donated to me Laughing

Agreed, but at least now I know a place to replenish my shelves should I run out. Twisted Evil Not really, at that point it is well past time to go custom.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Am I mistaken, or is this the first alphabetized collection to put Haruhi under H rather than M?

I've been mulling over how I want to display that myself. Right now I have them under M, but I'm thinking of moving them to H because I'll likely put my light novels in with the manga and it just wouldn't make sense to have various Haruhi books scattered all around, and Disappearance certainly doesn't belong in the M's with Melancholy. Ah well, I need more shelves before I can get all my manga up on them anyways, so it's not an issue I need to deal with just yet.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:

Er... well, there are all of those things in that building.

bglassbrook wrote:

It's a total headache. Do you put Higurashi under H when the disc is labeled as "When They Cry" but no one remembers that name? Is it really okay for Mobile Suit Gundam to be listed very far from, say, Turn A Gundam? Does it REALLY need to be "Neon Genesis" Evangelion?

Ultimately, we went with "most well-known franchise names," also because putting "Melancholy" and "Sigh" of Haruhi light novels on different shelves would be dumb. It does result in some weirdness though, like "Case Closed" being after Densha Otoko.
Umino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that collection just blew everyone else's collections away. (Though it is a club rather than a single person's collection.)

I wish I could have some of those titles I don't have. I definitely have the space for all those shelves just not the money for them :/.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

I have Haruhi in "H", because since the anime covers beyond the first novel, labeling the series as "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" isn't right. That name only applies to the first novel, and even though the 2nd season is called "MoHS Season 2" that makes no sense as the 2nd season doesn't cover any of the first novel, and now with Disappearance out it just makes more sense to label it in the "H" section.

I don't allow my ABC-ordered collection to split apart connected works though. For example, the James Bond films are all next to each other, Nolan's Batman films are all next to each other, and Army of Darkness is preceded by Evil Dead 1 & 2.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I've heard quite a lot about "Night Raid 1931." I read a review on this website how it portrays Japan in a somewhat negative light. Now,I've studied a lot about the Second World War and I can tell you it wasn't exactly Japan's finest hour,to say the least. I'd read somewhere where the only way they could show one episode was to put it on DVD.
I highly doubt that they're going to an anime that depicts the Japanese attack on the American gunship "Panay" in which a number of American sailors and an Italian journalist was killed. Or the Japanese government's attempt to recruit Japanese-Americans to their side. In many ways,it's a lot like the German-American Bund or Mussolini's attempts to bring Italian-Americans on their side. Not exactly something you want to take pride in,huh?
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
I'm glad to see a positive review of Night Raid... And while I've seen people writing it off as a piece of nationalist Japanese propaganda, those people probably haven't seen past episode one...

I've heard that "people" on the "internet" have given Night Raid bad reviews, but I haven't seen any of them. Can you provide some links?

mufurc wrote:
*Actually, 15 episodes - I wonder, are the three OVA episodes included on the Blu-ray (or the DVD) release? I see that ANN only lists two of them (Crank Up Aboard the Ship and Panther in the Snow), the third one, which I think is the best, is missing (Devil of the Opium Den).

Those were all on the BD and the DVD releases.

Sailor S wrote:
One thing I did think was a bit interesting about Utakata was that they had a different guest artist draw the costume for each episode. And we're not talking just a bunch of nobodies that have only worked on obscure titles...

I read that, too, but I couldn't help but thing many of the costumes by guest artists were awful. A lot of them looked too silly for Utakata's serious themes. It's an interesting idea to bring in guest designers, but I think the results were bad; the designs were inconsistant with the show's overall look.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Umino wrote:
Wow, that collection just blew everyone else's collections away. (Though it is a club rather than a single person's collection.)

I wish I could have some of those titles I don't have. I definitely have the space for all those shelves just not the money for them :/.

Well, I can't remember which Shelf Life it was featured on, but I still think that person who had the entire attic in their house taken up with anime and such still trumps that. I'd have to see it again though to be sure. But, again, I have no idea when it was featured and I don't feel like going to all the trouble to look it up Smile
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Well, I can't remember which Shelf Life it was featured on, but I still think that person who had the entire attic in their house taken up with anime and such still trumps that. I'd have to see it again though to be sure. But, again, I have no idea when it was featured and I don't feel like going to all the trouble to look it up Smile

Those shelves were epic so I totally bookmarked that one. (Bamboo edits the photographs y'all submit, so they're s surprise to me each week, too.)
Maigraith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Why can't the anime club at my school be so awesome, all they have is a bunch of torrented stuff on hard drives and it's mostly what they talk about, bores the heck out of me. Also woo for Alien Nine and Alien Nine Emulators.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

Those shelves were epic so I totally bookmarked that one. (Bamboo edits the photographs y'all submit, so they're s surprise to me each week, too.)

Thanks Erin! I knew if I mentioned it, someone would immediately know which one it was and save me a lot of time Very Happy
Umino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh...that one! Actually that one just has a lot of boxes that make it look bigger/fill up more shelve space(Ie. He/she has three boxes to show the entire box artwork). Don't get me wrong, it's a large collection still, I've observed it a couple of times Anime smile;;. . That collection is one of the cleanest ones I've seen but it bugs me that it's not organized :/. (Dang you OCD!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4