• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Megan Thee Stallion's New Song 'Otaku Hot Girl' is Full of Anime References

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:04 am Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
sakuramusicstar wrote:
loveliver wrote:
This is more of a JJK tribute with a hint of Naruto than an actual love letter to anime. Just saying.

It's more of her calling out the haters who think she's not a anime fan who is using it to boost her fanbase even thought she has been making anime references in her songs for awhile now. Even her music video BOA has a lot of video game and anime references!

Could do more to demonstrate that point in a song called "Otaku Hot Girl" than two of the most socially acceptable anime to know about. It'd be like trying to call out the haters about how much of a gamer you are by making a song with a bunch of Call of Duty references.

What do you expect her to do? Name off every anime in existence? She's been demonstrating it long enough with anime references in her songs, cosplays, telling her anime fans to come to her multiple sold out concerts in cosplay, and even hosted the anime awards in Japan earlier this year. As many others have stated, this is about you and others like you who say things like this for her to prove she's a "REAL" anime fan but still call her fake while gatekeeping her, even though she has been putting it out there out there for years now. Regardless of what she likes in anime, she still puts her love for it out there which makes us feel the same in return as we still have to deal with male anime fans who treat her the same way.

KitKat1721 wrote:

On another note though, I did feel like the article came off as a bit odd? I understand how bringing up the logistical/licensing hurdles she talked about might not be possible since she didn't explicitly state outright that those issues were due to this song, but not mentioning really simple stuff like how the sample used is the JJK commercial bumper music or how the intro is voiced by Yuji Itadori's ENG VA, etc... and just leaving it at "the song is filled with JJK and Naruto references, specifically X, Y, and Z characters," feels very half-baked.

Agreed! There's a lot more to it than just those 2 references. Loved having Adam McArthur in the track as Yuji since there's a lot of memes referencing him liking a tall woman with a nice butt like hers. Also would, have liked to see some detail into what the song is about since it is a problem in the community.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:15 am Reply with quote
Regarding the references, its so disappointing that the go to is Naruto and JK. I'd like the song more if she flexed non-mainstream manga/anime. That would tell me how knowledgeable she is.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Regarding the references, its so disappointing that the go to is Naruto and JK. I'd like the song more if she flexed non-mainstream manga/anime. That would tell me how knowledgeable she is.

why are you entitled to her showing off her nerdy cred? lol

this makes me want her to come out with a rap song that name-checks dezaki, kamiyama, urasawa, hagio, takemiya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3