• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Announces New Dragon Ball Daima Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wadachi 1992

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for a key visual
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
It's funny how they had GT in the montage when this feels like GT, only everyone gets de-aged. I guess I'm just glad it's not 100% CG and they're bringing the power pole back.

Curious how they handle this from a voice acting standpoint.

Super Hero looked mostly great, so the prospect of a full CG anime wouldn't really be bad.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:31 pm Reply with quote
...I got excited for a moment thinking it'd be a new adaptation of Dragon Ball.

I love Toriyama, I do, but the original DB manga is just leagues better than any of the subsequent DB material.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know about the concept because I didn’t like GT but I don’t want to judge until I watch. It’s just nice to have new Dragon Ball content. The animation looks good I’ll hope the story is enjoyable and not too corny.
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:37 pm Reply with quote
This looks to be either an interquel, judging from their adult clothes and that tagline that it's a "previously untold" story, or an elseworld.

All the same, it certainly explains Xenoverse 2 still kicking around in 2024......
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Don't get personal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Moro and Granolah are just standing in the corner, waiting for their turn to be animated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
It's certainly unexpected, and a little frustrating that it probably means characters like Goten and Trunks are getting sidelined again.

To be fair no one really cares about Goten who despite looking like Goku is nowhere near as likable as Goku.

Fluwm wrote:
I love Toriyama, I do, but the original DB manga is just leagues better than any of the subsequent DB material.

Yeah if you don’t mind of a bit shallowness and some more wonky aspects of the original manga that of course had to be kept in the anime adaptation.
zekro94

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they seem to be using the animation style from Dragon Ball Super Broly movie instead of using the cg from Super Hero, don't get me wrong, I liked that movie, but somehow it fits better with the way it's animated in 2d. Now that I think about it, wasn't there a description in Broly's movie that said they'll start using that style in order to animate more dragon ball? Or was imagining it?

Either way from the snippets we've seen I guess it could be nice, however that "plot similar to gt but it's not gt teehe" thing sound more like "we didn't know what to do so we looked at gt and said oh well"
XCalliope

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Moro and Granolah are just standing in the corner, waiting for their turn to be animated.

No one ever promised those two arc are gonna be animated.

Besides, DBS anime is different continuity from its manga version.
TsarPlatinum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

They can keep waiting. This looks a lot more fun and interesting

Essentially a GT Remake. I hope the kidification balances out the power levels and lets Yamcha, Roshi and others get more spotlight. Oh man, Kid Roshi Laughing That's gonna be fun.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
XCalliope wrote:
No one ever promised those two arc are gonna be animated.

Besides, DBS anime is different continuity from its manga version.

That's true of all anime/manga adaptions, though.

My guess is that the DBS continuation will happen at some point, once the manga has built up enough material.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Looks like Dragon Ball Muppet Babies. This concept was already sorta done in GT.

Am I the only one that misses when Dragon Ball actually went pretty dark? I wish they would make something like the Bardock and Trunks specials again. All the new DB media is just a bit too wacky and childish for my taste. I fell in love with DBZ as a child BECAUSE of how dark and dramatic it got. There were no other shows I could watch at that age that could compare. I do enjoy the more comedic original Dragon Ball, but even that show got fairly dark and emotional at times (everything surrounding Krillin’s death especially), more-so than Super.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:57 pm Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
They can keep waiting. This looks a lot more fun and interesting.

Could be interesting. Not getting that excited until I see a bit more.

Wyvern wrote:
My guess is that the DBS continuation will happen at some point, once the manga has built up enough material.

The anime version always had a padding issue, especially at the anime series start and current end.

Just to be clear, not saying they should hurry to put the manga back on TV, or they should do this instead of that. Just saying, there's a well there, ready to be tapped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Megax36

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Ugh. Looks like Dragon Ball Muppet Babies. This concept was already sorta done in GT.

Am I the only one that misses when Dragon Ball actually went pretty dark? I wish they would make something like the Bardock and Trunks specials again. All the new DB media is just a bit too wacky and childish for my taste. I fell in love with DBZ as a child BECAUSE of how dark and dramatic it got. There were no other shows I could watch at that age that could compare. I do enjoy the more comedic original Dragon Ball, but even that show got fairly dark and emotional at times (everything surrounding Krillin’s death especially), more-so than Super.

I doubt we will ever see Dragonball get as dark as it did in the 90's. Everyone has become more sensitive to the violence that is portrayed in media in the modern era. This isn't just anime either, compare the original Terminator movie to the later entries in the franchise, and you can see a night and day difference in the amount of violence that is depicted.

There will always be a few exceptions (Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan), but don't expect most Shonen based anime's to get as dark as they did back in the 00's and before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5