• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About Kadokawa's Investment in ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:15 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I understand your concern, but if you look at our history, you can see that we've consistently been free to write critically about the products of our largest advertisers and our other investors.

I don't have any reason to doubt you on this, but out've curiosity, what're some good examples of critical reviews ANN's done of some of its largest advertisers' products?

The extra investment in web dev sounds great. Has always seemed like there's a lot more that could be done with the ANN site.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:50 am Reply with quote
Good Luck, I hope the terms remain as you set them out at the start. I have seen to many business be acquired for their indie grit but get their executive changed a few years down the line in efforts to "Improve their profitability". That is where I think a lot of peoples worries come from. I shall be quite happy if Anime News Network keeps being itself and letting me enjoy their good work for years to come.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:51 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't have any reason to doubt you on this, but out've curiosity, what're some good examples of critical reviews ANN's done of some of its largest advertisers' products?

The extra investment in web dev sounds great. Has always seemed like there's a lot more that could be done with the ANN site.

I mean, there was that one time the seasonal preview was "sponsored by Yasahime" to promote its 2nd season, only for it to receive low marks from every reviewer that watched it. That was actually kinda funny.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:01 am Reply with quote
An advertiser is different than the owner of the company, tho. An advertiser can't fire you.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:08 am Reply with quote
Thank you for being straightforward about this. Can we expect to see a disclosure appended to any article where the subject matter may intersect with Kadokawa properties?

Also, a couple years ago, you were talking about a revamped VIP membership offering. Is that still in development?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:18 am Reply with quote
Being sceptical is fine and all, however at the end of the day it's a done deal. All we can do is hope for the best, and if turns out bad, well then that's it, nothing can be done about it.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
This kind of reminds when Washington Post, a formerly anti-corp journalist site, got bought out by Jeff Bezos and they gradually published favorable articles like "Why big corp shouldn't be taxed" or "Big corp is not the problem".

"I frankly don't care if someone at Kadokawa gets angry if we pan one of their shows"

So y'all saying you can still write and publish hit pieces on Kadokawa over various things like their 40 anime/year quota, production issues, scandals and animator pay issues? Best of luck to y'all. I'll be surprised if they don't fire y'all for it.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
First of all, congrats. Maybe with this new investment, we could be seeing a revival of old columns like The List, or even comic strips like Nina.

Second, maybe these aren't exactly anime-related, but let's be honest, we won't be seeing articles like this and this anymore, will we?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:53 am Reply with quote
I do think some level of skepticism is justified (especially if aggregation of the Tokyo 2020 Scandal ceases) but most of the hand-wringing seems to be overlooking one important bit from the article.
Quote:
Myself, and Bandai Namco Filmworks will remain minority shareholders in the new company that is being established to operate Anime News Network.

The site has already had "corporate" oversight but you probably didn't know until someone told you.

If I'm being selfish, I'm hoping this allows the site to better provide original stories that focus on cultural and human interests instead of just aggregating press releases.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
They were always a minority shareholder, though, right? I thought Tempest held a controlling share until this acquisition.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
An advertiser is different than the owner of the company, tho. An advertiser can't fire you.

Oh yeah, for sure, but NeverConvex was specifically asking for advertiser examples.

To be clear, my initial reaction to the news was fear based on what happened to the Washing Post. I hope similar never happens to ANN, but it is a hard fear to dissuade in today's landscape.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:13 am Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
Oh yeah, for sure, but NeverConvex was specifically asking for advertiser examples.

Yeah, your example was a good one; curious if others have more. FWIW, I would have asked for examples of ANN publishing articles critical of its ownership in the past instead, but I assume Tempest just kept too low a profile for ANN's investigative journos to catch him selling favors for Genshin rewards. Laughing (insert \sarcasm tag somewhere, just to be safe)
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well congratulation for the investment from Kadokawa. But I do agree with couple of people about transparency when it comes to reviewing stuff from Kadokawa, but if Tempest said and assure they're able to give a sharp criticism without any advertisers' backlash then I don't have much concern about it.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:06 am Reply with quote
At least ANN was not bought by Crunchyroll.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
My congratulations to you, ANN! You will remain independent, it is very important!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9