• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE to Stream New Urusei Yatsura Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:35 am Reply with quote
Like I said in a previous thread, the new UY is just that: newer, shinier, flashier. Maybe it'll lack the nostalgia appeal, but it doesn't matter to casual fans who are supporting Yashahime. Plus, unlike the original UY, the new one will likely be dubbed, thus further cannibalizing sales of the old one. It's kind of like when they rebooted Hoshin Engi and Dororo: the original anime got lost in the wayside.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Like I said in a previous thread, the new UY is just that: newer, shinier, flashier. Maybe it'll lack the nostalgia appeal, but it doesn't matter to casual fans who are supporting Yashahime. Plus, unlike the original UY, the new one will likely be dubbed, thus further cannibalizing sales of the old one. It's kind of like when they rebooted Hoshin Engi and Dororo: the original anime got lost in the wayside.

The original UY will always be a classic among die hard anime fans, and this reboot won’t take away from that at all, no matter how much of a hit it is. It was never a mainstream hit here, but it still maintains a certain profile. If anything, this reboot is increasing interest in it. The second movie in particular is considered a very important part of Mamoru Oshii’s filmography.

The original UY was 100% dubbed by Animax, but that dub only aired overseas, and Takahashi apparently vetoed its inclusion on Discotek’s release. The movies are all readily available with NA-produced dubs though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Purple: It was a classic, because it was the only one. But now they got a new one for a new generation. This ain't gonna be like Sailor Moon, where fans support the original and Crystal.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see HiDive getting more bigger mainstream shows lately and that not everything is going through the Crunchyroll monopoly.

Quote:
Like I said in a previous thread, the new UY is just that: newer, shinier, flashier. Maybe it'll lack the nostalgia appeal, but it doesn't matter to casual fans who are supporting Yashahime. Plus, unlike the original UY, the new one will likely be dubbed, thus further cannibalizing sales of the old one.
I'm sure the reboot will do fine but I think you're forgetting that this reboot is going to be a heavily abridged version that's condensing the series down to only 50 episodes versus the original anime that's over 200 episodes. The original anime also has Mamoru Oshii's name attached that will be a big draw for fans. But even if the reboot outsells the original, I don't see that as a problem because Discotek isn't trying to reach younger casual fans. Their whole business model is aimed at older nostalgia fans who have disposable income.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Takato: Oshii is arthouse with a following. And at the end of the day, DT still needs to make money. If they lose sales, it can still hurt, especially when they put a lot of time and money into those discs.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm glad to see HiDive getting more bigger mainstream shows lately and that not everything is going through the Crunchyroll monopoly.

While monopolies are never good, it's kind of awful when companies like HiDive, that don't have a presence or care about other markets apart from the United States, block the licensing of shows like this one for regions like most of Latin America. At least Crunchyroll expanded to Latin America back in 2016 and Funimation in 2020, and the two combined have already dubbed over 170 anime into Neutral Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese, while HiDive/Sentai only tried dubbing 12 works (poorly, I might add) before quitting the region altogether. Not to mention that a Latin American streaming service called Anime Onegai, that debuted in 2020, has licensed and dubbed over 50 anime into Neutral Spanish. I imagine HiDive could compete against them if they tried.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Takato: Oshii is arthouse with a following. And at the end of the day, DT still needs to make money. If they lose sales, it can still hurt, especially when they put a lot of time and money into those discs.
Oshii directed Ghost in the Shell which is one of the most popular sci-fi anime in the world and his Urusei Yatsura film, Beautiful Dreamer is easily available on Crunchyroll and RetroCrush. But I don't see the point of predicting doom and gloom for something the success of something before it's even out when we don't even know yet if the UY reboot is going to be good or wind up like Shaman King and 90% of most other anime reboots.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I also agree that concerns about the original UY taking a big sales hit because of the new version are overrated. Beautiful Dreamer was such a significant movie that it aired on Sci Fi Channel despite none of the rest of the franchise (to my knowledge) ever airing there, and its significance as the predecessor both to Ghost in the Shell and other time loop/reality manipulation movies like Groundhog Day, Dark City, and Inception will not be changed. Nor will the original's influence on the anime industry by establishing many of the tropes that have become anime staples (especially in romantic comedies) ever since.

I have seen BD a couple of times and own the OVAs from the original AnimeEigo release, but I only ever got to see a few scattered episodes of the base series at 'cons, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I missed. Also curious to see how the franchise's style of humor holds up in an era where its core gags have been used in other titles for decades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Walpurgiz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Quite the turn of events to see HiDive/Sentai getting the license for Urusei Yatsura over Crunchyroll and especially Netflix.

A little disappointed Netflix didn't get the streaming rights cause I was looking forward for Netflix to get another 4 cour series along with the fact they have Komi Can't Communicate and the upcoming Romantic Killer both of which are romantic comedy anime series. But it seems that Netflix is drifting away from licensing new anime titles and are more interested in creating and commissioning their own original anime (e.g. Bastard!, Romantic Killer, exception, Kotaro Live Alone, the upcoming Juni Ito's Maniac, etc.) and Anime-Style animated series (e.g. Castlevania, The Witcher, Trese, Master of the Universe: Revelation, Kong: Skull Island, etc.) for their streaming service lately rather than picking up/licensing specific new anime series than in previous years (2018-2021) which would explain why FUNimation/Crunchyroll and Sentai have licensed the bulk of the anime series for the Winter, Spring, Summer and now Fall 2022 Season.

Their most recent and so-far ONLY Anime license in 2022 is Uncle from Another World from the Summer 2022 season, of course, you also have Detective Conan: Zero Tea Time and Detective Conan: The Culprit Hanzawa respectively which also aired on Japanese television and surprisingly licensed by Netflix so by default, Netflix only has licensed 3 anime series in 2022.

I guess the likely reasons why Netflix didn't even bother licensing URUSEI Yatsura and several other anime titles (e.g. Chainsaw Man, Blue Lock, Tokyo Mew, Mew, etc.) lately is either:

1. The anime production committee for URUSEI and many others had a much higher pricing bid leading to Netflix dropping out and Sentai and/or Crunchyroll swooping in.

2. Netflix not being interested in licensing those anime titles despite the huge appeal and would rather just focus on creating their own anime originals, resulting in Crunchyroll or Sentai licensing them instead.

3. Sentai and/or Crunchyroll had license the particular anime series months ahead of time.

Interestingly, this is the 2nd Rumiko Takahashi anime series adaptation to be licensed by Sentai after Rin-ne (even if that series wasn't dubbed).

Now all is left is who would get Bibliophile Princess.

It’s not about Bidding war. People need to understand that when Netflix License something they want it to be Exclusive worldwide. So if the production committee in JP want to release their anime on many platform (20+ or more) in jp
They probably not gonna care about exclusive deal.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:25 am Reply with quote
Takato: Again, Ranma and Inuyasha are way more popular here than GITS and Dreamer. I don't think Shogakukan hasn't noticed that, either, which is why the production values for the new UY happen to be high.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:26 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
we don't even know yet if the UY reboot is going to be good or wind up like Shaman King and 90% of most other anime reboots.
90% is very extreme. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I find a good deal of reboots are at least as good as the original or better, whether that be in general or just being a more complete adaptation. Dororo, Ushio to Tora, Adventures of Dai, FMA, Hunter X Hunter, Dororon Enma-kun, Magical Circle Guru Guru, Blade of the Immortal.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:21 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Well, I guess this is good news for English-speaking fans, but sadly here In Latin America many people are disappointed since HiDive is no longer available in the region since the end of May, now it only operates in a few select countries like Mexico, and even then not all of their titles have Spanish subs and the ones that are subtitled have a lot of grammar mistakes. This also means that a Neutral Spanish dub is very unlikely to happen, and even if it does when Sentai tried to dub some anime for HiDive the results weren't very good, the Neutral Spanish dubs they made for Food Wars and Parasyte: The Maxim, among others, were widely criticized, particularly because they hired actors from Córdoba, Argentina, despite those actors having very little dubbing experience in general, I'm Argentinean myself and I didn't know they made dubs there, Argentinean dubs are mainly done in the main province of Buenos Aires.
I was hoping the Urusei Yatsura reboot would've ended being dubbed in Mexico, since that's where Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha were dubbed, many fans wanted UY to be dubbed into Neutral Spanish because the original anime never got dubbed into Neutral Spanish. Our only hope is that perhaps HiDive may try to re-enter the LatAm market, or maybe license it to Anime Onegai

Yeah that's also another reason why I wanted Netflix to get Urusei over HiDive/Sentai, because Netflix would have dubbed this series in Mexico (as 95% of their anime were dubbed here) and we would've gotten another Rumiko Takahashi anime dubbed in Mexico after Ranma ½ and Inuyasha were also dubbed in Mexico.

But with Sentai licensing Urusei Yatsura, it's very likely the series will be dubbed in Argentina or Chile instead, as the vast majority of the Sentai series were dubbed in those respective countries over Mexico. But as you said since HiDive is no longer available in Latin America including Mexico, it's going to be interesting how will Urusei Yatsura get dubbed and licensed.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
Walpurgiz wrote:
It’s not about Bidding war. People need to understand that when Netflix License something they want it to be Exclusive worldwide. So if the production committee in JP want to release their anime on many platform (20+ or more) in jp
They probably not gonna care about exclusive deal.

It is still considered a form off "Bidding war" Walpurgiz and wether Netflix wants it or don't want it. And Like I said besides those 3 points I mentioned below:

"1. The anime production committee for URUSEI and many others had a much higher pricing bid leading to Netflix dropping out and Sentai and/or Crunchyroll swooping in.

2. Netflix not being interested in licensing those anime titles despite the huge appeal and would rather just focus on creating their own anime originals, resulting in Crunchyroll or Sentai licensing them instead.

3. Sentai and/or Crunchyroll had license the particular anime series months ahead of time."

Netflix lately has been drifting away from licensing new anime titles and are more interested in creating and commissioning their own original anime (e.g. Bastard!, Romantic Killer, exception, Kotaro Live Alone, the upcoming Juni Ito's Maniac, etc.) and Anime-Style animated series (e.g. Castlevania, The Witcher, Trese, Master of the Universe: Revelation, Kong: Skull Island, etc.) for their streaming service over licensing new anime following their license of Komi in late 2021 and after AMC acquired Sentai in January 2022 and especially FUNimation was consolidated into Crunchyroll in March 2022, which again goes back to why FUNimation/Crunchyroll and Sentai have licensed the bulk of the anime series for the Winter, Spring, Summer and now Fall 2022 Season and Netflix hasn't licensed a particular series. So-far Netflix's ONLY Anime license in 2022 has Uncle from Another World from the Summer 2022 season, but then, you also have Detective Conan: Zero Tea Time and Detective Conan: The Culprit Hanzawa respectively which also aired on Japanese television and surprisingly licensed by Netflix so by default, Netflix only has licensed 3 anime series in 2022.

At this rate, Netflix is going the route of Viz Media as their future anime licenses will be just only for new seasons of pre-existing shows they previously licensed (e.g. Edens Zero, Komi Can't Communicate, Beastars) or from an anime franchise (e.g. Seven Deadly Sins, Shaman King, Kakegurui, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), It also wouldn't surprise me if Sentai wounds up licensing Season 2 of Vinland Saga over Netflix in January of 2023.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But again, this makes the Discotek version obsolete.

Why does it? This is hardly the first remake of an old anime, and remakes don't often make the original version obsolete. In fact, they can stimulate interest in the original. Yamato 2199 didn't make the 1974 Yamato obsolete, just as 2003 Astro Boy didn't make the 1980 version obsolete, nor did either of the two make the original 1960s black-and-white version obsolete. That's just scratching the surface.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
Valkyrie: Last time I checked, people in Japan are supporting the new Yamato, and sales of the old Yamato haven't been boosted by it. As for Astroboy, the lack of availability of the #003 version is the only reason the old ones still matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4