• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series Gets Comic Series, Prequel Novel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

This. Like, it feels like there is love and effort put into this. Yoko is doing music, they got Wattanabe on as producer, and rumor has it some of the english dub may have cameos(it would be cool if they got Steve Blum to be someone spike talks to). It fels like effort.

You know, using the same ingredients (or similar) doesn't mean the cake will be as good as that done in 1997.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
RockSplash wrote:

This. Like, it feels like there is love and effort put into this. Yoko is doing music, they got Wattanabe on as producer, and rumor has it some of the english dub may have cameos(it would be cool if they got Steve Blum to be someone spike talks to). It fels like effort.

You know, using the same ingredients (or similar) doesn't mean the cake will be as good as that done in 1997.

Well, I will just taste the cake and find out. I guess I am just too positive. So what if it is bad? Its no problem to me. It doesn't ruin the anime or anything
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Watanabe's role seems to be that of very limited capacity that is typical for all adaptions.

"I read the initial concept and provided my opinions, but I’m not sure if they will be reflected in the final product. I have no choice but to pray and hope that it will turn out good. Also, for Cowboy Bebop I don’t have any right to stop it. Those rights are in the hands of Sunrise, so if you have a complaint, please send it to them."

Source: https://comicbook.com/anime/news/cowboy-bebop-live-action-netflix-anime-creator-comment/

Getting Yoko Kanno to do music and putting in some cameos from the English dub actors seems very superficial to me. A lot of reboots and adaptions use music from the original version and cameo old characters and actors to rely on nostalgia to carry the new version. This show is going to have to stand on its own at the end of the day, though.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Feels kinda of weird having a comic book movie based on an live-action show based on an anime. It does seems that Netflix has a lot of confidence on this show if they're making this type of promotional material, Stranger Things didn't get spin-off comics and games not until the end of the first season.
Now, it would be crazy if the show gets a good reception, then they decide to make an animated side story like the recent Witcher movie or that Altered Carbon anime, specially if it gets animated by Sunrise.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Feels kinda of weird having a comic book movie based on an live-action show based on an anime. It does seems that Netflix has a lot of confidence on this show if they're making this type of promotional material, Stranger Things didn't get spin-off comics and games not until the end of the first season.
Now, it would be crazy if the show gets a good reception, then they decide to make an animated side story like the recent Witcher movie or that Altered Carbon anime, specially if it gets animated by Sunrise.

I see it as marketing. Get people interested shortly after the show comes out. Plus, the novel is written by the screenwriter(boy would I hate to be the writer with all that pressure), so the novel could provide an idea of what tone the series will be.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Getting Yoko Kanno to do music and putting in some cameos from the English dub actors seems very superficial to me. A lot of reboots and adaptions use music from the original version and cameo old characters and actors to rely on nostalgia to carry the new version. This show is going to have to stand on its own at the end of the day, though.

SUPERFICIAL

That was the word I was looking for. You can't assure me the show having those things will make it good, specially when a lot of remakes and adaptations do that very same things for the sake of nostalgia and pandering to the fans, and still have an overall bland quality to it.

And about Daniella Pineda's response to the people body-shaming her for not looking like if Faye was ripped off from the TV screen (which is in itself an immature and outright stupid thing to ask for): while I understand taking none of the shit from other people on the internet and having a response to them is brave and maybe cathartic for her, I think she could've done better by not engaging with them, since those people will see her response as her "not taking the fans of the original show seriously", and hence, not taking the show she's helping adapt seriously, thus giving them more ammunition to bash on the show.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

SUPERFICIAL

That was the word I was looking for. You can't assure me the show having those things will make it good, specially when a lot of remakes and adaptations do that very same things for the sake of nostalgia and pandering to the fans, and still have an overall bland quality to it.

And about Daniella Pineda's response to the people body-shaming her for not looking like if Faye was ripped off from the TV screen (which is in itself an immature and outright stupid thing to ask for): while I understand taking none of the shit from other people on the internet and having a response to them is brave and maybe cathartic for her, I think she could've done better by not engaging with them, since those people will see her response as her "not taking the fans of the original show seriously", and hence, not taking the show she's helping adapt seriously, thus giving them more ammunition to bash on the show.

Eh, maybe it will be good. If not, I still have the anime. I don't fear live action adaptions because if they suck, I can just choose not to watch them and enjoy the original. As for Fay, that's hollywood. People think they need to respond.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Eh, maybe it will be good. If not, I still have the anime. I don't fear live action adaptions because if they suck, I can just choose not to watch them and enjoy the original. As for Fay, that's hollywood. People think they need to respond.

Yeah, we get it; we already know you like it and you have high hopes for it. You don't have to chime in in every comment just because it detracts from your opinion.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Yeah, we get it; we already know you like it and you have high hopes for it. You don't have to chime in in every comment just because it detracts from your opinion.

I just commented. I didn't know everyone was following my responses. I said that on a different forum. It just seems like I am suppsoed to be angry that this exists, except I am not? People acting like this will ruin the anime are ridiculous.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

The same can be said for those who want to simply dismiss it before even seeing it and chime in anytime it detracts from your opinion. It goes both ways.

Ok, time to reel this in. This is getting off topic, and several of you are just talking in circles at this point. Agree to disagree and move on.
phantom360

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
I personally think they should wait and see if the show does well before wasting resources on making a comic and novel about it but whatever works for them i guess.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:29 am Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
I personally think they should wait and see if the show does well before wasting resources on making a comic and novel about it but whatever works for them i guess.

A lot of time its not wasting resources. I don't know about the comic, but the novel was written by the screenwriter. He probably could write it after finishing the series. Since a series is written months before everything else, I can see the novel bring done without costing much time. I hope they make vicious more interesting. He was incredibly mysterious in the original, and kind of a boring character when we learn little other than he liked Julia as well as Spike.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:47 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
phantom360 wrote:

A lot of time its not wasting resources. I don't know about the comic, but the novel was written by the screenwriter. He probably could write it after finishing the series. Since a series is written months before everything else, I can see the novel bring done without costing much time. I hope they make vicious more interesting. He was incredibly mysterious in the original, and kind of a boring character when we learn little other than he liked Julia as well as Spike.

Re: Vicious, I don't think he was boring or particularly mysterious, there was enough things implied about him to make him, if not a very dynamic character, but an interesting one. (As I said elsewhere, Jupiter Jazz is pretty much about him and what makes him tick). Still, I'm curious to see what they're going to do with him, hopefully they're going to add to his character instead of taking away.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
phantom360 wrote:

Boring? Yeah, because all good villains need to have complex backstories and motivations...if anything Julia was a pretty boring and severly undeveloped character, but whatever, I didn't care much about her anyway.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Boring? Yeah, because all good villains need to have complex backstories and motivations...if anything Julia was a pretty boring and severly undeveloped character, but whatever, I didn't care much about her anyway.

Vicious was what he needed to be, no more, no less. He was Spike's foil, rival, and enemy. Cowboy Bebop is about the entire crew, their pasts, and their adventures. It was never a crime drama about them taking down a criminal organization and saving the galaxy so Vicious doesn't need to be some series wide villain who is behind everything like Gus Fring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3