• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wonder Egg Priority Director Shares Cut Context for Mannequins' Sexist Dialogue Scene in E

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this whole conversation happened because.... (potential spoiler. It's just my theory though...)
spoiler[ Rika Kawai is going to be revealed to be a biological male? I could be VERY off base, but her body is drawn like a typical anime boy's body: square hips, broader shoulders, flat chest (especially visible in the bath scene), AND she wears a choker to cover her adam's apple? ]

(Please note I am not making any statements about what real bodies "should" look like. I'm simply commenting about the character design.)
captainbanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty clear to me within the context of the show that Acca and Ura-Acca probably aren't the most trustworthy. I'm not really sure why some people took their spiel to be the opinions of the script writer or the director. It's nice of them to provide clarification to those people though. It would be a shame for anyone to fall off one of the best original shows in a long time because of misconceptions, and I hope they continue to address the sensitive subject matter in the show with as much tact as I feel they have so far.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't think at all, that show with one gender cast can study gender issues of that kind. It more look like, they looked lame excuse for lack of male characters in anime.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
It was pretty clear to me within the context of the show that Acca and Ura-Acca probably aren't the most trustworthy. I'm not really sure why some people took their spiel to be the opinions of the script writer or the director. It's nice of them to provide clarification to those people though. It would be a shame for anyone to fall off one of the best original shows in a long time because of misconceptions, and I hope they continue to address the sensitive subject matter in the show with as much tact as I feel they have so far.

Yeah, I currently view the two mannequins as the possible Kyubey of WEP, up to something much more sinister than they let on until the series proves otherwise. Still, I understand why quite a few people, especially trans people would be put on their guard. They have deal with this sort of often insidious talk all the time in their lives. That the director is willing to clarify does make it seem that he really is acting in good faith here. At least until proven otherwise later on...
nx6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I think this whole "controversy" is a bit weird, as sexist comments come up in anime fairly often, usually in the context of male characters doubting the abilities of a classmate/coworker/etc because they are female. And I don't mean the old standby excuse of "women are weaker in physical abilities". I just mean "this task is difficult, so a girl might not be able to handle it".
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Ura-Acca's line about not discriminating doesn't really seem to follow from Acca's speech, either. In that sense, I think Neiru's disgusted "はあ?" at the end is not just at Acca's speech, but at Ura-Acca reframing her question as discriminatory as a way to avoid really answering it (and at Rika going along with that).

Yeah, that's what froze me while watching. Acca was being inmensely sexist, I get that, and the rules or whatever are shaped by Acca's sexism. But then the conclussion to Acca's sexist speech... is that gender doesn't matter? What?

Florete wrote:
I'm pretty sure Momoe is just a butch cis lesbian. She talks and styles herself in a masculine way so she occasionally gets mistaken for a boy. I did get the impression that she might have considered being a trans boy, but decided against it.

Come think of it, her as of yet unknown past might play a part. Maybe she's presenting herself as masculine because she feels like "she has to" (maybe she thinks that whatever happened to the person she's trying to revive wouldn't have happened if she were a boy), but after talking we Ai, she wholeheartedly starts embracing her more feminine traits and consciously switches her speech from "boku" to "watashi".
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So my problem with a blanket statement being a blanket statement regarding suicide was "corrected" by a second blanket statement but one going in the opposite direction that was cut for time.

When you're in a hole, don't dig yourself deeper!

For people who are fine with the second blanket statement "When it comes to their brains, boys and girls are also the same", please explain so in scientific terms and not through what [b]you want the situation to be.[/b] Just from what I know of the Endocrine system has me facepalming on that second statement.

From a review in the scientific Journal of Nature:
Quote:
Beyond the “missing five ounces” of female brain — gloated about since the nineteenth century — modern neuroscientists have identified no decisive, category-defining differences between the brains of men and women. In women’s brains, language-processing is not spread any more evenly across the hemispheres than it is in men’s, as a small 1995 Nature study proclaimed but a large 2008 meta-analysis disproved (B. A. Shaywitz et al. Nature 373, 607–609 (1995) and I. E. Sommer et al. Brain Res. 1206, 76–88; 2008). Brain size increases with body size, and certain features, such as the ratio of grey to white matter or the cross-sectional area of a nerve tract called the corpus callosum, scale slightly non-linearly with brain size. But these are differences in degree, not kind. As Rippon notes, they are not seen when we compare small-headed men to large-headed women, and have no relationship to differences in hobbies or take-home pay.

...The brain is no more gendered than the liver or kidneys or heart. Towards the end, Rippon flirts with the implications of this finding for the growing number of people transitioning or living between current binary gender categories. But for now, she concludes, most of us remain strapped in the “biosocial straitjackets” that divert a basically unisex brain down one culturally gendered pathway or another.

Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00677-x
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

...The brain is no more gendered than the liver or kidneys or heart

Terrible sentence to place in your scientific article considering these organ do differ between male and female (notably male heart are significantly larger).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4190707/
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It’s a review of a book on neuroscience, and the part I quoted explicitly mentions that bigger bodies have bigger organs, so I’m assuming you missed this line?
Quote:

Brain size increases with body size, and certain features, such as the ratio of grey to white matter or the cross-sectional area of a nerve tract called the corpus callosum, scale slightly non-linearly with brain size. But these are differences in degree, not kind. As Rippon notes, they are not seen when we compare small-headed men to large-headed women, and have no relationship to differences in hobbies or take-home pay
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
It’s a review of a book on neuroscience, and the part I quoted explicitly mentions that bigger bodies have bigger organs, so I’m assuming you missed this line?
Quote:

Brain size increases with body size, and certain features, such as the ratio of grey to white matter or the cross-sectional area of a nerve tract called the corpus callosum, scale slightly non-linearly with brain size. But these are differences in degree, not kind. As Rippon notes, they are not seen when we compare small-headed men to large-headed women, and have no relationship to differences in hobbies or take-home pay

I have taken enough anatomy classes for my degree to be able to to verify the scientific principle, that YES larger bodies require larger organs to compensate for them.
Generally the difference between male and female bodies is largely a difference in certain chemical levels, and reproductive organs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
This news helps in matters, because at this point it is a little ambiguous whether Acca and Ura-Acca are meant to be reliable authority figures, since they may arguably be facilitating the whole egg system that we are meant to believe is good. Knowing that one of the main characters does not agree with the blanket statement of gender. Although, she was the one who brought up the question of someone she believed was a different gender in the first place, so I think that it is fair for the audience not to make an assumption.

Momoe has had a controversial aspect in the show, and based on what happened so far, she was confessed to by a girl, based on what happened to her and how it seems Momoe is uncomfortable with the girls confessing to her, I might even lean that she is may not be into girls herself. It would seem clear that she has some boyish features, but is most like AFAB, and yet is leaning into looking masculine despite apparently wanting to be seen as a girl, which is a little confusing why she would choose this presentation. Information is currently unfinished, but I fear some aspect might bring some transmen erasure, but any part that is for supporting one's own desired identity regardless of something like presentation is something I would stand for regardless.

nx6 wrote:
I think this whole "controversy" is a bit weird, as sexist comments come up in anime fairly often, usually in the context of male characters doubting the abilities of a classmate/coworker/etc because they are female. And I don't mean the old standby excuse of "women are weaker in physical abilities". I just mean "this task is difficult, so a girl might not be able to handle it".

The big difference is that a show like this is supposed to being taken seriously on things like serious issues. High School DxD might not be taken seriously for how it handles things like being a man or gender in general. But a show like this that is supposed to be on the minutes of mental health, identity and I would say a gendered experience, it is all the more open to scrutiny. It is getting this attention because it has already done a good job of things, that is all the more at risk of having a bad message stick with people.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:45 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
So my problem with a blanket statement being a blanket statement regarding suicide was "corrected" by a second blanket statement but one going in the opposite direction that was cut for time.

For people who are fine with the second blanket statement "When it comes to their brains, boys and girls are also the same", please explain so in scientific terms and not through what [b]you want the situation to be.[/b] Just from what I know of the Endocrine system has me facepalming on that second statement.

Quote:
Beyond the “missing five ounces” of female brain — gloated about since the nineteenth century — modern neuroscientists have identified no decisive, category-defining differences between the brains of men and women. In women’s brains, language-processing is not spread any more evenly across the hemispheres than it is in men’s, as a small 1995 Nature study proclaimed but a large 2008 meta-analysis disproved (B. A. Shaywitz et al. Nature 373, 607–609 (1995) and I. E. Sommer et al. Brain Res. 1206, 76–88; 2008). Brain size increases with body size, and certain features, such as the ratio of grey to white matter or the cross-sectional area of a nerve tract called the corpus callosum, scale slightly non-linearly with brain size. But these are differences in degree, not kind. As Rippon notes, they are not seen when we compare small-headed men to large-headed women, and have no relationship to differences in hobbies or take-home pay.

...The brain is no more gendered than the liver or kidneys or heart. Towards the end, Rippon flirts with the implications of this finding for the growing number of people transitioning or living between current binary gender categories. But for now, she concludes, most of us remain strapped in the “biosocial straitjackets” that divert a basically unisex brain down one culturally gendered pathway or another.

Again, I'm facepalming. The effects of hormones upon the brain changes how the brain perceives the world. A study that not takes the brain out of the body, nature, as well as the universe, nurture, is fairly useless. In a completely sterile environment, they are the same, yes. However saying they are the same being fueled by each body's particular set of hormones is a blanket statement which is what I'm against.

"Most of us" I can at least credit that article for saying it depends. From Google.... so you know it's accurate?:

Quote:
Biosocial theory claims that evolution did not design human psychological sex differences. It argues that these are the result of the allocation of men and women into different sex roles, based on physical differences.

I have zero trust in Psychology as a science as my own experience with it is that people hear one thing they don't like then they try every other theory in the book to run away from it.

I'm almost afraid to see what they site as physical differences. I know I don't like my mind under the effects of testosterone and that's produced from testes. So it's a sexual physical trait creating a psychological perception and this theory is... what exactly?
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Quote:

Again, I'm facepalming. The effects of hormones upon the brain changes how the brain perceives the world. A study that not takes the brain out of the body, nature, as well as the universe, nurture, is fairly useless. In a completely sterile environment, they are the same, yes. However saying they are the same being fueled by each body's particular set of hormones is a blanket statement which is what I'm against.

"Most of us" I can at least credit that article for saying it depends. From Google.... so you know it's accurate?:

Quote:
Biosocial theory claims that evolution did not design human psychological sex differences. It argues that these are the result of the allocation of men and women into different sex roles, based on physical differences.

I have zero trust in Psychology as a science as my own experience with it is that people hear one thing they don't like then they try every other theory in the book to run away from it.

I'm almost afraid to see what they site as physical differences. I know I don't like my mind under the effects of testosterone and that's produced from testes. So it's a sexual physical trait creating a psychological perception and this theory is... what exactly?

I’m sorry, you asked for people who disagreed with you to cite scientific sources, so I did. And you’re rejecting that based on Google and your own anecdotal experiences?

I respect your point of view, and will concede that there may not be enough research on hormones, or hormonal effects on the brain and behavior. But neurological research has not found significant differences between men’s and women’s brains or rather, their cognitive abilities, besides physical size. I’m not saying gender or the effects of hormones aren’t real—trans people are proof of that. And guess what? They change their hormones! Hypothetically, anyone can take hormone blockers for the hormones their body makes and take testosterone or estrogen. Lots of people do just that! Some people do report changes in their feelings and behavior, but I’m not sure how well it’s been studied. Nobody’s gotten a brand new brain from transitioning gender or other hormonal therapies, though.

There is a nuance in acknowledging that people experience gender without claiming that gender has an outsized effect on brain function, cognition, neurology, etc.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
#890256 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
UNLESS, I am misunderstanding something.

You are. The bad guy called her a man since everyone except the main character thought she was a dude. There was no other meaning behind it.

First learn the basic rules of how to quote something. I fixed your quote for you.

Second It was clearly a female who was yelling at her, because she was in the females only car.it would be really strange for a male to be talking like that or be in that situation. Also her "charge" recognized her as a female, and said "even as a girl I've fallen in love with you"

Third This conversation took place in a "realm" where abstract monsters that represent what caused you to commit suicide chase around their victims....So saying it has no meaning I find to be complete and utter bullshit.

Please try and make sure you actually understand a subject in the future before you correct someone else on it

lol 'rules of quoting'

Get over yourself. You clearly feel strongly about this and just don't want to admit you're wrong. And 'bad guy' was a generic term and wasn't a reference at all to the sex of the talking character though I'm sure you already understood that and just wanted to go on your rant.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
In a show that talks about suicide at some point someone was gonna say something that triggers people and here it is, weird it took a week to people to be mad about it, oh well, 4 episodes was a good run
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4