• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Brett Weaver Responds to Mignogna, Mari Iijima Photos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
What if it was just a minor part of it? You shouldn't let the actions of the minority affect what you do.

These were not random people, they were main people at the heart of this thing like those annoying lawyers and American industry voice actors. Monica Rial was one of the people I saw saying that people didn't know the two ex-wives who were abused and if people did know them they would understand. I don't need to understand anything to know domestic abuse is wrong.

Just make sure you understand the issues of domestic abuse were dug up and released in a wider harassment and smear campaign to attack and silence any individuals who spoke out against Vic Mignogna's sexual harassment of his co-workers and fan base.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
someone has never heard of a bomb. VAs do this all the time. They record their line in full and then add a joke or something at the end of it to pop whoever goes in the booth after them. Some people are shocked and laugh at it, others continue the joke. (J Michael Tatum told a hilarious story a few years ago about a bomb on Grant James) ts nothing more than a practical joke, and they are never meant to be released for the most part outside of convention stories. Hell, Kyle Phillip's YouTube channel is full of bomb compilations across various dubs he's done.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The thing is it's possible to both be disappointed in a mistake the DBZ dub cast made 20 years ago and believe Vic is a repeat sexual offender at the same time. I'm not sure why this is supposed to be a big gotcha moment.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The thing is it's possible to both be disappointed in a mistake the DBZ dub cast made 20 years ago and believe Vic is a repeat sexual offender at the same time. I'm not sure why this is supposed to be a big gotcha moment.

Because grasping at straws is easier than excepting what Vic has done, I guess.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

You hit the nail right on. They have completely given up any notion that Vic was ever innocent.

The fact that they want to wage an all out hate campaign on social media will forever put Vic in the "do not hire he carries too much baggage" category. They are so blinded by their hate they don't realize that Vic would have been better off had he not tried to sue.

GFM account? Got F---ed Mignogna account.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

You hit the nail right on. They have completely given up any notion that Vic was ever innocent.

The fact that they want to wage an all out hate campaign on social media will forever put Vic in the "do not hire he carries too much baggage" category. They are so blinded by their hate they don't realize that Vic would have been better off had he not tried to sue.

GFM account? Got F---ed Mignogna account.

Said it before, and I'll say it again: Beard and Rekieta have done far more to destroy his reputation than the defendants/accusers coming forward.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Also someone has never heard of a bomb. VAs do this all the time. They record their line in full and then add a joke or something at the end of it to pop whoever goes in the booth after them. Some people are shocked and laugh at it, others continue the joke. (J Michael Tatum told a hilarious story a few years ago about a bomb on Grant James) ts nothing more than a practical joke, and they are never meant to be released for the most part outside of convention stories. Hell, Kyle Phillip's YouTube channel is full of bomb compilations across various dubs he's done.

I'd love to know which scene the "Kami and Piccolo rape Yamcha, Dende, and Mr. Popo while calling him an indentured servant" was an outtake of. I could totally see how that was a total accident. You're talking about being scared of Buu destroying the Earth and how you need to train in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and suddenly Piccolo just accidentally says "Bend over, Yamcha!" instead of "Let's go train guys" and you role with it for a few minutes and then edit in all the music and sound effects. It could happen to anyone! Laughing

Anthony P wrote:
Yes, to verbal/emotional abuse. Again, no one's downplaying this, but I've yet to see a single shred of evidence proving he physically beat his wife.

Testimony is evidence.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I see it more as a sort of diversion tactic to keep the grift going. Since the lawsuit is going so badly, they keep trying to switch attention to other stuff to still seem like they're "winning" and make the moneymaking hate machine rolling, prevents their cultist mob to move on to a different "martyr" in their "culture war". "Yeah, Vic did admit on court record that he pulled Jaime Marchi's hair but did you see how this other person did a bad thing 20 years ago which has absolutely nothing to do with anything in this case? Ha! Check and mate, Libs officially owned etc etc." The Ron Toye divorce-abuse story, and the new DB leaks are both the exact same thing in that regard.
Teraman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Testimony is evidence.

ISWV doesn't seem to think so when it comes to multiple sworn depositions alleging misconduct. Even now I still see people say there's "no evidence" that Vic did anything wrong because there's no 4K 60fps video shot from three different angles. Will you be there to correct them the next time that happens?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
As the name TPO implies, it's a temporary protective order, and it was a 1 year grant and that one ran it's full year-long duration. They were filing for divorce, courts granted a year-long restraining order on grounds of the abuse. After a year, they were already separated and moved on so there was no reason to refile it. That's not a 'dismissal'.

Fun fact about protection orders. Many of them allow both parties to still have peaceful contact with each other. I'd say that actually the majority of those that I've seen (I'm a LEO) allow for contact.

So it may have been that PO that existed between the parties allowed for peaceful contact, and neither party felt the need to extend the PO.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:

Testimony is evidence.

Vic is suing for defamation. Last I checked, Ron is a defendant, and whatever you want to bring up in regards to Ron's past history with two other women will be chucked in the trash by the presiding judge. Why? Because this is not relevant to THIS defamation trial.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Maybe anime fans and YouTubers should just let the lawsuit play out instead of arguing over things we have no control over.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I know this post is meant to be inflammatory, but I'm gonna' use it as a springboard to remind everyone that video proof exists of Vic overpowering his female co-worker onto a hotel bed before she fled after a knock on the door. The jellybean incident is tangential to the much bigger issue of attempted sexual assault, and trying to downplay the whole thing as one joke and ignoring all the other stuff that happened and what Vic himself admitted to (like pulling a different coworker's hair) is disingenuous at best. Be careful out there, friends.

That is the first I've heard of there being a video showing that. Why the hell doesn't that get all the attention... Mostly I keep reading about those far more minor things. It seems like much more serious incidents are getting buried under a whole bunch of people remembering this one time Vic did something inappropriate to them. Not that I think inappropriate behavior in the work place should be dismissed, but the magnitude between most of the things I've heard and what you're saying there is video evidence showing is enormous.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

Because at the end of the day, this is a business. And when you attack the fans, you attack who is paying for your business to survive. If things continue as they have, everybody loses.

If the fans are being petty, abusive, self-serving, obnoxious pain's in the ass they deserve to be called out. Just because you're a consumer of industry or product doesn't nor should insulate you from criticism.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
@SilverTalon01, I suggest you go read my post on page 2 or 3. I clarified that I misread the deposition statement, but that trying to handwave away Monica Rial’s accusation as being about a jellybean joke rather than attempted sexual assault was minimizing to the point of being disingenuous. At best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4